Hi - from a first time buyer! (1 Viewer)

Keeley

Free Member
Feb 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hi all....about to dip my toe in! ....(hope it's OK to ask my first question in my introduction?! Please alert me if it's not and ill move it to another part of the forum (y))

Solo lady campervanner wannabe! - Looking for a 2nd hand Autosleeper conversion - preferably a Peugeot Symbol or Symphony as I love the lines / layout / size...max budget of around 18k..ish

Problem is almost every affordable vehicle i see on eBay or Autotrader - while looking great in the ad and description - when I check the MOT history out they're invariably beset with a history of rust problems?...I don't really know much about vehicles but know enough to know that once rust starts it's hard to stop! - so when i see numerous faults like:

'Offside rear vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) Major (i)'

or

'Nearside front suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength inner step (5.3.6 (a) (i)) - Major'

it makes me run a mile! - even though the problems have obviously been rectified to get through the MOT - and then appear to be ok in the subsequent MOT - I can't help worry that if the vehicle has a history of rust like this then the problem hasn't really gone away?

Am i being unduly cautious and is this what I must expect from vehicles that are of the age that my budget allows?...or should i keep looking until I find one that appears to be in a much better condition?

would be grateful for any advice - thanks

Keeley

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from sunny Ciren! 🌤️ (y)

(We started out with a AS Clubman GL.......’W’ reg, lovely ’van, but too small for us both and four dogs.......! ;) )

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Welcome 👍
For peace of mind, and after-sales service, you may be best placed going to a reputable dealer. You may pay a tad more, or lose a bit on newness of the MH but, you will have some reassurance should the worst happen. Good luck, stay safe and well.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Unless you know a tame welder you are correct to stay away from rusty ones
Getting welding an a camper can involve a lot of stripping out prior to starting work
There are decent ones out there just keep hunting

:welcome3:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hello and welcome to the solo female traveller club, Have you considered a PVC Panel Van Conversion

I have similar to this and I have had a look at the MOT history 2 failures since new one for windscreen wipers (that should never happen as you change them before) one for lights (I think it could have been set up for europe)

It is just another option they compact but mine has all I could ask for except solar panels but they will be fitted (said that last year then we had lockdown)

My van has been call the stealth Van as you can park it anywhere in a standards car space (not a multi-storey though)

Good luck with your search when you see it you will know.

Just realised you are looking at PVC's

:welcome4:

Here's another one I like the sealed rear end and it has the front lounge
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=274540335966

Last edited:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Thanks everyone! :cool::cool:
One more thing, don't get carried away with the gadgets inside, but you seem to have that sussed. when I bought mine they had the side door open for me to go inside . I said no thankyou can you pop the bonnet please, I then with my basic knowledge crawled over and under it until I was happy, I then went inside and thought 'lovely'
I then paid out after purchase for some minor repairs (nothing serious)
Just been out to it today as its on the drive and all is sound :giggle:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
Definately run a mile from those that have failed MOT on rust issues. You have a reasonable budget so keep looking. Don’t discount the Autosleepers on VW base.
Do pay your subs and then you can continue to post on here. There are many wise old heads who are able to advise on advertised vehicles if you post the advert links. There is also a buyers guide in the resources section and a for sale section.
We also run our own rallies and meets so a chance to get to know others and pick their brains, if you are a first timer there is a lot to learn.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Just had another thought, when did you pass your driving test or what licence have you got if you passed after 1997 you are restricted on the weight of the vehicle

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
Hi

Welcome, I think you are right to be cautious of vans with a history of corrosion problems as stated in earlier posts if don't know someone that is handy with a welder it could end up an expensive mistake. In my experience once the dreaded rust as got a hold you are only delaying the inevitable. Just take your time in getting the right van.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hello Keeley and :welcome3: from Old Sodbury. :sun::sun::sun:

Good luck with your van search, find something you like and then ask for advice on here before you part with your cash.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings welcome from Bexley
Can’t advise on the van.
But can advise that you become a Funster 😂😂

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
(y) :hiya2::welcomesign:

There is plenty of sound advice on here. Ask as many questions as you need to and do not rush into buying. Good luck with the search.

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
welcome-frog.gif

Good luck in the search for a motorhome.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sadly as you have discovered, the base van on the old symphony and symbol were pretty poor metal that quickly rusted. Most folk when a vehicle fails the MOT on rust, have the absolute minimum of welding done to get a pass then sell the vehicle on. With a base van intended as a courier or builders van, they built to a budget knowing it would likely be scrapped after 4 years. The steel round most of it is very thin and quickly rusts

I would say that normally your top budget would buy something a lot newer, but the last 12 months prices have rocketed up due to increased demand for uk holidays

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
:hiya2:;bigwelcome:

OP
OP
K

Keeley

Free Member
Feb 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Thanks all, you've been so welcoming!

Spent another afternoon yesterday browsing eBay and autotrader and finding some great looking vans - only to see the same old rust problem on the MOT history check!!...feels a bit like needle in a haystack trying to find a goodun at the moment! - Will keep looking though, I'm nothing if not patient 😎 K

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍

Wyn