Hi Folks! (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2020
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Carthago Cmpct i143
Exp
Hi! After 18 months of lurking and searching, Mumma Clanger and I have finally put down a deposit on a 2014 Carthago CompactLine I143!

We're both new to the Motorhome scene, although we've been camping for decades, and have recently sold our beloved 1975 Type 2 (bay) VW camper as it wasn't being used. We needed something with a bit more space - specifically a garage big enough for an off-road trike (which is 3ft wide at the back!), that is used when we go to music festivals (Glastonbury primarily, but others as well).

Other must-have criteria included:
* less than 7m long (so that it would fit on the drive)
* RHD automatic
* 4 berth, with at least 1 fixed bed
* Preferably A-Class

We looked at a number of 'homes but narrowed it down quite quickly to Hymer and Carthago, as they are the only manufacturers that make vehicles with big enough garages; and even then not every model was suitable. I carried a tape measure everywhere with me, just in case we came across a dealer in our travels, so that I could measure MH garages! (Actually, I still do, out of habit 🙂).

We settled on the twin singles layout as it can be made into a large double/king-size. Transverse beds are too much effort for us & we’ve not seen a van under ~7.5m where an island bed works.

I know you’re supposed to rent before buying your first van, but we did the next best thing; we borrowed a relative’s LWB Mercedes Sprinter conversion (which was about the same size as the CompactLine I143 we’re getting) and took it to Glastonbury a couple of times - and survived - so we sort-of know what we’re letting ourselves in for.

My only concern is that I've just discovered that this van is on the "light" chassis (current MTPLM 3700kg), and so I'm worried that a 160kg trike + 10kg winch and a set of ramps might put us close to the rear axle rating, especially as we are having some extras fitted: solar panels + inverter (but will be saving a bit of weight by having the gel battery replaced with a Li-ion one). I hope this isn't going to be an issue. We'll be getting a weighbridge ticket before handing over the remaining cash.

Anyway, it's currently in the workshop having these fitted and we are hoping to pick it up on Saturday 1st August, and we can't wait to start using it! 😊

As there won't be any festivals for a while, we’re just planning on pootling around the UK for the time being, but not before we've tested everything by camping on the drive for a bit.

More details to follow...

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello w2f sounds as if you will have lots of adventures in front of you enjoy

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from sunny Ciren (Wolverley at the moment though!)

(y) :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.

OP
OP
MajorClanger
Jul 7, 2020
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Carthago Cmpct i143
Exp
Just had a phone call from the dealer - the van is ready for collection! Won't be until the weekend now, though. Now I have to figure out the logistics of paying for it :)

OP
OP
MajorClanger
Jul 7, 2020
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Carthago Cmpct i143
Exp
Delayed again! Should be ready Monday, so hopefully collecting Tuesday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back