Free Member
Jul 31, 2012
Clacton-on-Sea Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just to introduce myself. I am an ex caravanner aged 74 and am looking to buy a motorhome to continue touring with a bit less hassle. Have found the ideal layout in a Autosleepers Rienza MH but an a bit concerned re the age of these models (up to 2005) was hoping for something a bit newer.
Spent some time today browsing the forums and this certainly is the place to be. ::bigsmile:

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Just to introduce myself. I am an ex caravanner aged 74 and am looking to buy a motorhome to continue touring with a bit less hassle. Have found the ideal layout in a Autosleepers Rienza MH but an a bit concerned re the age of these models (up to 2005) was hoping for something a bit newer.
Spent some time today browsing the forums and this certainly is the place to be. ::bigsmile:

Personally I would not worry too much about the age of the vehicle. Look at how many miles it has clocked and I bet it is averaging 4K miles per annum or less. You would not worry if it was a car, you would bight their hand off. So providing it is not leaking and the interior is sound - why should you go for a later model?:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome,
Some older motorhomes are as good if not better than newer ones so dont discount on age, if looked after there are some belters out there. The thing to watch and get your head round is weight - it will all depend on whether you have kept your 7500kg entitlement or now only have 3500kg

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the madhouse. Age need not be a problem, in vehicles anyway, hee hee. As already said watch the weight unless you want to put up with medicals every year.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Yes watch the weight limit as you may have lost your 7500kg entitlement and can only drive up to 3500kg now

Peter

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome, do join in ask questions use the forum to get as much information as you need to make a informed decision on your motorhome, then when you get it right a whole new world opens up.:welcomefunster:

OP
OP
Quack

Quack

Free Member
Jul 31, 2012
Clacton-on-Sea Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks to all for making me welcome. I did, indeed, let my 7500kg licence go when I reached 70 and am aware that I can only drive vehicles of max 3500kg. Enquiries with DVLA assure me that the 7500kg can be reinstated quite easily following a medical examination. It may come to that but I don't think I would bother. 3500kg allows a wide choice of MHs anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi and welcome.
You may find that being an X furniture maker , depending on which MH you chose of course, that you find an older model a better one.
We looked at lots of models , before going back to the first one , which was a 2006 . Lots of new vans have stickyback plastic covered doors and plastc frames . Not solid wood or wood veneer . The sales people say its to keep weights down , which I am sure it does. But we felt they were like entry level caravans and we felt like we were taking a backward step . We were used to good quality fixtures and fittings.
We have had ours over 3 years now and still love it.
Your right its a lot easier than the 4 caravans we had.
Because of all the lounging space we had with the caravans we struggled to find the perfect layout. Though with having caravans , I'm sure that's why we got it right 1st time. Lots dont.

OP
OP
Quack

Quack

Free Member
Jul 31, 2012
Clacton-on-Sea Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi and welcome.
You may find that being an X furniture maker , depending on which MH you chose of course, that you find an older model a better one.
We looked at lots of models , before going back to the first one , which was a 2006 . Lots of new vans have stickyback plastic covered doors and plastc frames . Not solid wood or wood veneer . The sales people say its to keep weights down , which I am sure it does. But we felt they were like entry level caravans and we felt like we were taking a backward step . We were used to good quality fixtures and fittings.
We have had ours over 3 years now and still love it.
Your right its a lot easier than the 4 caravans we had.
Because of all the lounging space we had with the caravans we struggled to find the perfect layout. Though with having caravans , I'm sure that's why we got it right 1st time. Lots dont.

Thanks for your comments. As you pointed out the amount of lounging space in caravans far outdoes most motorhomes.
We started looking at MHs of max 3500kg with fitted beds but soon realised that the lounge areas were quite small.
It is important to both my wife and myself that we can lounge in comfort during the day and we think that a rear U shaped lounge which converts into two single beds/large double bed would seem to be ideal so that is what we are looking for.
Following most comments on this thread I am reconsidering the age of the vehicle I will eventually buy. Maybe age is not that important and slightly older translates into better prices.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back