Hi Everyone I'm off on a test drive! (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Potential newbie
A quick hello to one and all. Today could be the day that we make a purchase. Having a second look and test drive of a Bessy E520. Are they any Good? Regards to all.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Aggie

We owned a Bessacarr E495 for a while and thought it was a great motorhome.

Well done for insisting on a couple of test drives. I speak to dealers and I am amazed when they tell me that people part with vast sums without taking a single test drive. Aggie a few tips for the test drive...

During the drive try not to grin like a Cheshire cat. Treat the drive objectively. If you say how wonderful it is, or show it in your body language then don’t be surprised if you find the seller gets tough during negotiations because he knows your in love!::bigsmile:

Your test should include a mixture of roads. Your drive should if possible take in some winding town and country roads, and a dual carriageway or motorway that will allow you to get to the speeds that you might use when heading down to the South of France or the South Downs. Chances are, the motorhome will be unpacked so any rattles you hear are from the vehicle and not the crockery cupboard. Listen to the engine, how does it sound? Does it accelerate smoothly? Are there any unusual noises emanating? How are the brakes? Try a hill start; how is the clutch?

Anything that the test drive throws up can and should be discussed with the seller. Problems might be able to assist you in your negotiations, but with serious issues, such as poor brakes, you can insist are put right before you pay.

If you can, take the family on the test drive, this will add weight but will also perform additional tests for you. Such as are the kid’s seat belts in place, do they work with your booster seats. Do tables need to be stowed for travel with passengers; is the heater or air-conditioner powerful enough to keep the rear travelling area comfortable? Etc.

If it’s an older motorhome you want to try, ask if you can start it yourself (if the engine is warm when you arrive, be suspicious, it may have been pre-warmed to disguise any starting difficulties). Look at where the clutch bites if it’s at the top of the pedal’s travel, then there is a good chance that it is worn, ask for a replacement if they assure you that it’s OK and ‘normal’ tell them that you would like it covered in the guarantee as you are not so sure.

Check how much play is in the steering wheel, if you think there is too much, ask about it. Worn steering linkage can be very dangerous. What about the tracking? Does it pull to one side when you relax your grip? This is easily sorted, but should be put right before you take delivery. Maybe your test drive can answer some of your other questions like; exactly how heavy is this motorhome? How about driving to a weigh bridge; this will give you a very real idea about your usable payload.

I wonder if it really will fit on the drive. You would not be the first to discover that yes it does just about fit on the drive, but your European A-Class only has one door and this is just one inch from the wall and cannot open! Unless you are certain it will fit, popping home during the test drive is a good idea, you might be surprised and find that tree branch is lower than you think!

Don't forget to check that all those extras you are paying for actually work, such as the alarms, fog lights, rear view camera etc.

Exciting times, stay focused, have fun:thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Aggie, welcome to MotorhomeFun. :thumb:
Some good advice from Jim, all I can add is to spend some time in the vehicle doing everyday things. Stand in the kitchen area and imagine yourself making a cup of tea or preparing a meal. Can you comfortably use the bathroom facilities, try making the beds up and laying on them. And most importantly, trust your nose, if the vehicle smells damp or is heavily perfumed, beware and be prepared to walk away. Dampness is the motorhomes biggest enemy. Hopefully all will go well for you and we will see you at a Funster meet in the not too distant future.

Brisey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A
Apr 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Potential newbie
I'm afraid the test drive went so well that it has cost me a fortune. So after much searching i'm the proud owner of a MH at last. Many thanks for your advice Jim, couldn't help a ::bigsmile:. Hope to see you all sometime.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I'm afraid the test drive went so well that it has cost me a fortune. So after much searching i'm the proud owner of a MH at last. Many thanks for your advice Jim, couldn't help a ::bigsmile:. Hope to see you all sometime.

Well done Aggie and welcome to teh forum. We also own a Bessie, an E765 and love it to bits, best small fortune I ever robbed a bank for ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back