Wiener-dogs201

Free Member
Nov 12, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
I thought I should introduce myself and my dreams to own a motorhome for my wife, the wieners and me.
I am Martin, my wife Heather, we are in our fifties and have 4 standard size wiener dogs (sausage dogs/dachshunds). We are seriously considering getting ourselves a wiener wagon (motorhome) with which to go on long weekends with the dogs. I did caravanning as a child, camping as a teenager and now my own children have grown up and moved out I believe that a motorhome should be the next stage in our life. We both have our health issues and hate the idea of putting our dogs in kennels to go away. So with a little windfall coming in soon we have been looking at what is available. I used to be a motorcyclist and did not take my car test until 2004 so with a dodgy left knee that really needs replacing (so I cannot manage to upgrade my driving license) favour an automatic under 3500Kg. We have spent the last few months drooling over a 2015 swift Lifestyle 644 with low mileage. We have visited numerous dealers, seen so many vans and researched the specifications of each and always come back to the Swift. We hope that this will be our only van and we will have chosen well first time, because unless we later on win the lottery there will not be another. Also my longevity due to health issues will not see me to retirement age so this had better be right first time! The 644 we are almost sold on has a transverse bed at the rear made from the u-shaped lounge and an over the cab bed we will never use, but might be used by my son and his two young children with our daughter-in-law when they borrow the motorhome.
Does anyone here have any input about the 644, or about just going for it and spending a little under £40k on the idea that we will enjoy our motorhome. Any issues we should be aware of or input as to what could be a better motorhome for the money? We do not want a French bed for the main bed as I am a little tall and hate the loss of a corner of the bed. Any ideas, suggestions, criticism or help will be greatly appreciated.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
:pink:
From the GK's....Gabby & Gus.....oh and their humans.
20191225_203356.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from West Kent and Woof Woof to the dogs

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello w2f

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello from me, Holly and Cass.
Sounds like you have a good plan. Do some research on sites you might like to stay on as some restrict the number of dogs per unit. You won’t have any problems on French Aires, of course.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi and welcome ?, I had my knee replacement 18 months ago, really wanted island bed!!! But our budget would definitely not stressechhhhh that far, always thought about French bed, never crossed my mind, hubby would be having to climb over if wanting to use the loo at night, also never wanted over cab, best advice a friend have us was, " look at everything", lie down on all the beds, make up the single beds! Lie in them, we did al! Of the above, luckily came across 5 berth hymer 2003, so in our budget range, has over cab! Which is massive, so grandkids sleep up there,,or we use for storage :clap:
Dinette becomes a good size double, also extends width wise, then there is also side long bench/ bed, which also can extend width wise, so we have the best of nearly everything, it suits our needs, but not what we set out looking for in our mind, good luck.(y)

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
We looked at the 644 as we had a 694 but realised after 3 years that we really needed a bigger bed. The one draw back we saw with the 644 was storage. Purely by chance we saw and fell in love with an Autotrail Apache 634. 3500kg loads of space, 6x6ft 8 bed so plenty of space for 2 people and 4 dachsies. Happy hunting.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome from a fellow sausage fanatic (although one is enough for us ;) ).

Like you we will not leave Misty behind so motorhoming is perfect and we always use the tunnel to go abroad so we don’t have to leave her.

I can’t offer specific help re: that Motorhome but what I will say is make sure the bed is easy access if mobility could be an issue eventually and you want it to be your first and last van. Speaking from experience ?

It’s definitely worth research, research, research as like many we ended up changing ours after less than a year.

Have fun finding it :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back