Hi Everybody. This has probably been asked before. Is towing a motorbike legal in the uk? (1 Viewer)

Bilbat

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2014
md3Tfg5X4HZsQh-vVxmfVcQ.jpg

I bought one of these some years ago but have only used it once for a very local trip. It would be useful if I could still use it.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I don't own a motorbike any more so don't know if it's legal but when I had my Harley triked I used to tow it on similar dolly .

John.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not legal as all trailers being towed if brakes are fitted they must be operable.
mind ok for recovery .
i have one athome . i did vehicle and m,bike recovery.
mind i also used it for towing trikes etc .
chances are you will never be stopped . have covered thousands of miles with mine and my unbraked aframe . but prefered the harvey frost towboy for towing cars .
but be aware you could be stopped reported .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Only if you have the irresponsible one; who gives all of the others a bad name...

Tethered around the neck???

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
That is very sad.
Hi Brian, I don't know what happened but 3 1/2 years ago I was walking my dog and something triggered in my head that I was finished with biking. I had a new Rocket 3 tourer which I'd had for exactly 12 months, I came home and put it straight on ebay and sold it, this was after 45 years of biking. I donated part of my biking gear and memorabilia to the bike club that I was a member and the rest to Duggy Mac, and to be honest I've not missed biking one bit. I've even got to the point where Motor bikes are parked up or I here a nice bike approaching I don't even Look and Like you say it's possibly sad.

Hope you have many more years riding Bri.
Regards.
John.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian, I don't know what happened..............
John.

Rocket 3, you like 'em BIG and then some.

Sounds similar to old-mo.

But for now I need my fix. As a concession to age I've moved from sporty riding position to bolt upright and that has been really enjoyable.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say i cant imagine not having a m, bike . i take a chinese dax in the fiver. but also have other bigger bikes at home . well in a mates storage at moment .
doesnt matter if its a big or a small bike . its like being 16yr old again .
have a suzuki tu grasstracker at home single cykinder, it sounds just like a c15 when on the road .
possibly my favourite ride in the last few years .
i do find the big kawasaki drifter is getting heavy . this summer might be the last for it and me . but i said that last year.
never mind john so long as your happy .
time for a ride on the coast .
have fun .

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Similar thing happened to me, must be five years ago now I had gone from sports bikes to cruisers because of a bad back then one day after being out on a run with the lads came home parked it up and never rode it again. Couple of months later a guy asked me about my bike and I said if you want it then have it and that was the end of that. Still don’t know why. Last year I got a little Honda 110 scooter, I love it I call it my time machine as mentally it takes me back 40 years.
Steve

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Oh dear that is sad.

I've been motorcycling since I was 16 and have always owned a motorcycle, big, small, fast, slow, touring, 'head down and arse-up', I've had the lot.

Indeed, it is a nice crisp dry day up here with dry roads and no salt, so I took my Suzuki Burgman AN400 out for its first run of 2015. Fantastic! Snow capped mountains, blue sky with fluffy white clouds, open roads with almost no traffic.

I would not be without a motorcycle (or scooter) of some sort.

Keith Hart

OP
OP
Bilbat

Bilbat

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the replies. I think I might see about converting the one I've got to carry the bike sideways. Again many thanks.
Martin

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Would hate to not have a bike,always take it with us.Got 2 at the Mo one for chillin and one for going places.

Attachments

• DSCF4116-001.JPG
    DSCF4116-001.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF3793-001.JPG
    DSCF3793-001.JPG
    583.4 KB · Views: 11

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hello Bilbat

What is the scooter that you are towing in the picture? My Suzuki Burgman has the variomatic gearbox. I don't think you would be able to towit like that.

Keith Hart

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I was warned that bike tyres do not have the longevity of car tyres and you could find yourself replacing them without doing much riding - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back