Hi everone from the Oakeyfamily (1 Viewer)

oakeyfamily

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
Hi all,

Stell & james Oakey are known as the Oakeyfamily.

We are new to motorhomes in so much as we do not yet own one.

We are seeking advice on what to buy or avoid. anything you can help us with we would be greatfull.

We retire on the 10th April. We would like to purchase a suitable home. Nothing huge like coachbuilt, but big enough so we do not have to keep making a bed up night and morning.

Heres hoping for some ideas from you guys that have been doing this longer than us.

James & Stella oakey

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
:welcomefunster: You will get loads of help and answers to your questions from other funsters. :thumb:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi all,

We are seeking advice on what to buy or avoid. anything you can help us with we would be greatfull.

We retire on the 10th April. We would like to purchase a suitable home. Nothing huge like coachbuilt, but big enough so we do not have to keep making a bed up night and morning.

Heres hoping for some ideas from you guys that have been doing this longer than us.

James & Stella oakey

Hi and welcome

always difficult to recomend however as we are new to motorhoming as well woud advise that lounging area is very important (we only have a dinette to sit at - mistake sadly but still love it) next we will go for something with swivel seats at the front settee type config behind. If you dont want to make bed every night maybe consider fixed rear side bed

Our next MH will hopefully be the Burstner Ixeo with fixed side bed at rear
Link Removed

Like I say it is very individual, the other factor to consider is payload.

I posted our expereince after we had our MH for a month maybe sone thoughts in there might help

Link Removed

Good luck and happy searching there will be a lot of advice and info from this site it is a great forum :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Stell & James & WELCOME :thumb:
If a coach built is too big then this will narrow your search down to a few PVC (panel van conversions) conversions that do a fixed bed.The only one I can think of off the top of my is DEVON conversions that do a fixed bed on a Renault master -- there will be others on soon to add to the list so it may well be an idea to give a budget on which to work on :thumb: or broadened the search by compromising on a FB by looking at a few models that are very easy to make a bed up or even 2 singles that can also be made up to a double when you fancy :winky: (see my layout below my name )
terry

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Hi and welcome
I joined lats Dec and also have still to decide what I would like you have made your first good call bu joining this forum its full to bursting of good friendly people with plenty of great advise, you can start by searching this forum you will find other threads asking this question.I know because I started one.
Best of luck and tike your time, you will know when it feels right.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
James & Stella oakey

No chance. Get thee round as many dealers as you can find. Take a camera. Take photo of registration, price, then inside. We can't tell you what MH to buy any more than we could tell you what house to buy.

But once you have a short list we can maybe remove a few undesirables from it for you. Though in reality I don't know if anyone could actually say "Don't buy XXXX" because they are all pretty good.

Main choice though - Luton top, with the bed over the cab ( higher fuel consumption ), Low Line (better fuel, maybe have to make bed every night) and panel van ( narrower, fuel efficient, make bed every night ).

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Hi and welcome :Smile:
I'm new here too (though not to motorcaravanning) and this is the friendliest site I've found.

Ours: a converted panel van, and quite a good useful size all in all. A tough old thing - being a Leyland Daf ex British Rail permanent way support vehicle - with a long wheel base making it really steady on the road.
There weren't many places we couldn't drive through, though there was one we shouldn't have attempted (see my website!).
Have fun!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi james and stella and welcome to the asylum.

are you sure you have your teminology right.
Nothing huge like coachbuilt, but big enough so we do not have to keep making a bed up night and morning.

a coachbuilt can vary from 16ft or less to well over 26ft and 30ft+ for many american models.

a coachbuilt is a standard van cab and bare chassis with the motorhome body built from scratch with (usually) a large overcab 'bulge'
some lowline models have done away with the bulge.

an A class is built from a chassis alone...no cab...and looks like a posh minibus or the american version looks like a full 52 seat coach, usually around the 30ft to 40ft mark.

a coachbuilt (C class) usually has a fixed double bed (except the lowlines) in the front bulge and the option of making up beds from the various seats if needed.
some have a fixed rear bed or bunks BUT you loose a lot of day space and decent lounging area.
the disadvantage of the overcab bed is the need to climb up there.
the advantage is you leave the bed made up plus its good for storage during the day or while travelling.

an A class usually has a fixed rear bed and some have a pull down double bed which canterlevers down from the ceiling when needed.
you do have the advantage of being able to use the 'cab' area as well as the normal living area thanks to the large flat windscreen and swivel driver/passenger seats.

then there are the van conversions......a standard panel van, boarded out and insulated, which is kitted out with seating, table, sink, cooker, wardrobe, toilet/shower. amazing how they get it all in.
the bed being made up from the seating.

hope this gives you some idea of what you want.

OP
OP
oakeyfamily

oakeyfamily

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
Many thanks

Hi all,

Many many thanks from all that were so quick in posting replies. ANY type of advice we will take on board.

We will be looking to buy around march and if we have to make the bed each night then so be it.

Again many thanks and we will keep monitoring and asking questions of you all.

James & Stell

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Hi all,

James & Stella oakey

A hearty welcome to the forum We had a panel van with a bench that dropped down into a bed Great for touring and only stopping for a few nights before moving on However after 5yrs we decieded that we wanted to stop for a month or two so looked around and found OUR ideal van. (currently in Spain for the winter) The best way to find your van is google all of the makes i.e. Auto-Sleeper Auto-Trail etc and do your research! Then visit a show with a short list and sit in them for a while to get the feel- you will soon know if it is right for you!! don't be overawed by luxury bathrooms, look at practical things like the bed and kitchen and storeage both in and outside You can spend a lot of money and then find you have made a mistake!! I say my ideal van but it may not be yours But good luck and keep on line!:thumb:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Welcome to the forum .:Smile:
I don't know where you hail from, but there is a Motorhome Spring Fair at Newark Showground on the weekend of the 27th & 28th of March.
There will be a large selection of new & used motorhomes of every shape & size that you can inspect at your leisure and if you needed any guidance, there will be plenty of Funsters camping over the weekend, you need only ask and I am sure you will get willing volunteers to help. :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A hearty welcome to the forum We had a panel van with a bench that dropped down into a bed Great for touring and only stopping for a few nights before moving on However after 5yrs we decieded that we wanted to stop for a month or two so looked around and found OUR ideal van. (currently in Spain for the winter) The best way to find your van is google all of the makes i.e. Auto-Sleeper Auto-Trail etc and do your research! Then visit a show with a short list and sit in them for a while to get the feel- you will soon know if it is right for you!! don't be overawed by luxury bathrooms, look at practical things like the bed and kitchen and storeage both in and outside You can spend a lot of money and then find you have made a mistake!! I say my ideal van but it may not be yours But good luck and keep on line!:thumb:

just to add to geoff's post.
when you've sat in them for a while you'll soon shorten the list. go back to the ones that tick the box's and sit in them for ages.
try the toilet ( not physicly!!!) is there room when sat on the 'throne'
in a C class, is the bed headroom enough, can you get in and out easily.
get up there and try it.
if you need to make the bed from seating then make the bed....i dont mean put sheets on etc:winky:...but arrange the cushions into bed mode and lay on the bed.

sit in the drivers seat for a while...is it comfy. unforunately they're almost the same on all motorhomes, high seat and poor pedal positions which make your ankle ache after a couple of hours on the throttle pedal, so if it isnt then its tough im afraid!!!

then theres the one luxury i cant do without....can you see the tv from the seats.....my first van only had a dinette for seating and the tv was in a cabinet ABOVE the dinette.

when you get down to your final short list go and sit in again for an hour or two.
the salesman wont mind if he thinks theres a sale in it....dont forget, he's probably on commission!

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi James & Stell

Welcome finding the motorhome for you is difficult for any one else.

We have tried most of the smaller types, The Devon with a fixed bed is OK but we found the bed a bit short, and possibly narrow.

Auto-Sleepers older monocoque are a good buy, latest Talisman or Executive both good, and should last for years, but only second-hand now.

Many low profile vans some not much bigger than a van conversion but due to square shape give more room.

Best advice look at as many as possible, you have time on your side.

You will know the van for you when you find it.

Good luck

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Oakeys and welcome

I was in your position last year and bought a Hymer from ebay. Whilst it ran very well, it didn't take long to realise we had been a bit hasty since it only had two rings to cook on (I thought that would be fine) and it didn't have a lounge area. We have now traded it in and bought one that has everything we want. We bought this one from Marquis Motorhomes who couldn't have been more helpful. Also, Brownhills at Newark had a good choice but Marquis have many branches up and down the country and the one we we eventually bought was drive from Plymouth up to Preston in Lancs for us to see.

Best wishes

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome i would say think hard about the lounging area as you will spend more time there than in bed if your using your van in this country all year.

Gerry

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Been there , done that, got the T shirt !!!

Hi and welcome i would say think hard about the lounging area as you will spend more time there than in bed if your using your van in this country all year.

Gerry

You have time on your hands...so make the bed up !!!....I live in mine all the year round. The most important thing in my book is to have a rear lounge area where I can sit, drink, read or watch the TV. I have a separate dining area with the sink opposite so I can do the washing up in the morning. there is a full size oven (single geezer, cooks a dream for single ladies out there !!) When you eventually get up to Scotland wildcamping and are backed up on to the shoreline, then you will realise the advantage of a rear lounge, you have spectacular view. Put that against a fixed bed !! .....Stephen...:thumb:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Welcome to the best motorhome forum we have found,everyones helpful and friendly, as has been said by others dont rush in, look at layouts at dealers and via the net,then go to the Newark show the selection will blow you away,then come to the Funsters campsite and have a natter with members there,they will be only too pleased and proud to show you round and as they have nothing to gain will give you unbiased advice. :Smile:

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I think it is very important that you hold off any buying decisions until you have visited the Newark show.

You will be able to go in lots of vans, this will enable you to see lots of different layouts so you can make sure you get the one that is best suited to you. (which is a fixed bed at the rear, rock'n'roll sofabed up front, dinette and under 25ft long ::bigsmile::winky:)

It's in the calendar, have a look. Bryan and I are the marshalls at the show and would be only too happy to make you a cuppa whilst you look round our van...

... which by a lucky coincidence is actually for sale in March :whistle:::bigsmile:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hope to see you there,
Best regards

Suzy

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hi and welcome , I would do as Hilldweller, Brian, mentions have a ride round the dealers , look at what they have to offer, try them for comfort , seating, ease of stowage, fixed beds, side beds, overcab beds take the camera and a note book
Cheers Rob also be happy about your choice :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back