Hi - Ducato import from France- help needed... (1 Viewer)

gvj

Dec 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top Ducato
Exp
2 years
Hi everyone- just signed up...Could do with some advice... we've just had to relocate from the Haute Savoie, where we've been living for the past five years or so, back to SE Wales. We have a 3 year old Burstner CityCar 540, bought in France, which we're going to have to reregister with the DVLA now we've been here for 6 months. So, we've cleared it with HMRC and now have to get the fog light, headlamps and speedo modified. From what I've gleaned on the forum a lot of you guys have some experience in this.
But so far Iā€™ve yet to find a garage who can do it for me at any price. Any tips and recommendations would be most welcome!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I think the French bit might throw some that have done it but most buy in Germany, but that doesn't matter as your in the UK with it. BreweryDave purchased in France, but Lenny HB and others could put you right. šŸ˜ Bob.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi welcome (y)

the headlamps and fog light are simple enough just need the bits really . the instrument cluster is easy to remove a few screws and a connector, there is likely to be a method to replace the KM with MPH I would think.
but other have actually done this and i am sure you will get the more accurate info soon enough here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
w2f

Do you need to change the Speedo to read MPH?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All the mods should be easy to do yourself.
The speedo dial you can get from Lockwood Dials. Only 2 dials for the X290 one for manual & one for Auto.
Instructions on their website, dead easy to change.
Headlamps You will have to change Coastal Motorhomes are cheap for headlamps and give a Funster discount. Very easy to change on an X290.
Being a PVC I'm not sure about the rear lights but to save changing them if they only have one light you could disconnect the existing one and fit a surface mount central one.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi & welcome! :hi: Some links that may help:
Replacement speedo overlay https://lockwoodinternational.co.uk/ &
replacement headlights & discount code as Lenny HB mentioned https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...e-for-fiat-citroen-peugeot-parts-more.183754/
Hopefully you have twin rear fog lights then no change needed.
The headlights are very easy to change over as a DIY job but need to be adjusted correctly so we used the MOT garage to do this who also supplied our statement for compliance for the speedo, headlights & rear fog lights for the cost of an MOT. We supplied the correct wording for them to print on their headed paper to make it easy as they had not done this before.

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I'm fairly sure when we thought about putting our last van on Spanish plates it had two fog and reversing lights so the rear never needed doing, just the headlights needed changing, being UK it had both on the speedometer, unlike our lhd van we have now, and that would be the same as your French van, so you would need to do the speedo. šŸ™‚ Bob.

OP
OP
gvj

gvj

Dec 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top Ducato
Exp
2 years
Thanks for the warm welcome - useful links and helpful advice.
I'll check the rear fog light(s- hopefully).
Rather daunted at the Ā£600+ price for a pair of rhd headlamp units ā˜¹ļø.
Have been on the Lockwoods site and that looks promising for the speedo.
Trouble is the Gov. regs seem to stipulate that the work has to be carried out and certified by a VAT registered garage so donā€™t know if feasible to DIY maybe and then get it checked or not ? Bustner after sales seems very sparse in this part of the UK so .....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for the warm welcome - useful links and helpful advice.
I'll check the rear fog light(s- hopefully).
Rather daunted at the Ā£600+ price for a pair of rhd headlamp units ā˜¹.
Have been on the Lockwoods site and that looks promising for the speedo.
Trouble is the Gov. regs seem to stipulate that the work has to be carried out and certified by a VAT registered garage so donā€™t know if feasible to DIY maybe and then get it checked or not ? Bustner after sales seems very sparse in this part of the UK so .....
It is only the inspection that has to be carried out by a vat registered garage or MOT station it shouldn't cost more than Ā£35.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
None of what needs doing has anything to do with the motorhome conversion - it is the vehicle ie Fiat, or Citroen or Merc etc. So check out eg Fiat Commercial garages capable of doing MOTs on vans of that size.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Not acceptable, has to be a proper lit dial.

Hmm, my van has stickers on the outside and has gone through 6 MOT's in my ownership and probably many before being 20 years old. I'll stick to the same garage, just in case!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hmm, my van has stickers on the outside and has gone through 6 MOT's in my ownership and probably many before being 20 years old. I'll stick to the same garage, just in case!
Nothing to do with MOT's we are talking about importing and from 2012 you have to have an MPH speedo.
I fitted an MPH speedo dial for the import check then changed it back to the KMH one as I prefer it easier to read and we do over 90% of our mileage abroad. Just passed it's first MOT with KMH speedo.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Nothing to do with MOT's we are talking about importing and from 2012 you have to have an MPH speedo.
I fitted an MPH speedo dial for the import check then changed it back to the KMH one as I prefer it easier to read and we do over 90% of our mileage abroad. Just passed it's first MOT with KMH speedo.

Ahh, I've had mine since 2014, so every chance it was imported before 2012. For the few pence/euro's it must save I don't know why they don't just have both on the dial.

OP
OP
gvj

gvj

Dec 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top Ducato
Exp
2 years
Thanks again for the welcome and words of advice, especially Lenny.
An update ā€¦
So, I bought a suitable speedo overlay from Lockwoods (most expensive bit of plastic in terms of grams per Ā£ ever ?). And I bought a pair of UK spec headlamp units (not Fiat supplied). Still couldnā€™t find a garage interested in fitting them.
So, not without some trepidation, I did it myself. The most time consuming part was swapping over the eight bulbs as the replacement units didnā€™t come with any. But amazed myself by following online instructions and everything worked first time. Then found a garage willing to certify in writing that everything was working for the princely sum of Ā£30 cash.
Now waiting for the office in Bristol to send me a piece of paper so that I can get the van registered they debited my Ā£100 a couple of weeks ago so hopefully not too much longer to wait....
One more question - How much should the road tax be on a 2018 Fiat Ducato ?
I am very confused looking on the DVLA website - does it now vary with the age of the vehicle and does that clock start running from when it was first registered in 2018 in France or when I (hopefully) succeed in registering it here ???

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I assume your having it delivered to Calais docks by the seller on their insurance?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun