Hi, can anyone please advise? I want to take my Vespa scooter to France, to ride whilst on holiday, in the back of my van. What paperwork will i need? (1 Viewer)

Chriswalker

Free Member
Jul 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi, can anyone please advise what paperwork i will need to take my Vespa scooter to France, to ride whilst on holiday, in the back of my van? Any advice is much appreciated. Regards, Linda.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Take your v5 insurance and mot. They are requirements. Generally having a photo of them on your phone will suffice if they are in your van

Be aware Vespas are heavy and your weight allowance on your axle.

Ensure your insurance covers EU

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chriswalker

Free Member
Jul 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi Gaston and Suavecarve, thanks for the swift replies.Brilliant. I have contacted UK customs who advised registration documents. They were not too sure about French side. The scooter is tax and mot exempt. It is insured. I am worried if i get across to Dieppe and the French customs refuse admission.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hi Gaston and Suavecarve, thanks for the swift replies.Brilliant. I have contacted UK customs who advised registration documents. They were not too sure about French side. The scooter is tax and mot exempt. It is insured. I am worried if i get across to Dieppe and the French customs refuse admission.
If it's in your van they won't even know but it is crossing for the same purpose as your motorhome.

I ve been pulled twice by the gendarmes. Once they were just interested in how my Suzuki 110 was doing 70mph downhill with a pillion as they thought it was a 50cc and the other they just wanted to check my top box coming out of an airport. Neither time were they interested in my documents

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
When I needed a repair on my Piaggio in Frejus, the Frenchman asked to see my V5; I said it was in the ā€˜van, and he just shrugged ok. I donā€™t know why he wanted a peek?

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If it is tax exempt I would suggest that you take a copy of the confirmation email from the DVLA acknowledging that you have taxed it (free).

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On a slight tangent, you need to think about safety when transporting your scooter INSIDE your van especially if it's not in a sealed compartment - if you stop for a cuppa with it in the van and light the burner on the gas stove you don't want to have a big bang if there are any petrol fumes kicking around, same if you leave it in at night you don't want to be breathing them in. One funster who takes his bike inside his van within the habitation area has no gas whatsoever but instead has a sealed diesel cooker.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Hi, can anyone please advise what paperwork i will need to take my Vespa scooter to France, to ride whilst on holiday, in the back of my van? Any advice is much appreciated. Regards, Linda.
Get a Lambretta :)

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
On a slight tangent, you need to think about safety when transporting your scooter INSIDE your van especially if it's not in a sealed compartment - if you stop for a cuppa with it in the van and light the burner on the gas stove you don't want to have a big bang if there are any petrol fumes kicking around, same if you leave it in at night you don't want to be breathing them in. One funster who takes his bike inside his van within the habitation area has no gas whatsoever but instead has a sealed diesel cooker.
In the old days of carburettors you are probably correct. But not now we have fuel injection. My Suzuki Address scooter is permanently stored (all year) in the moho garage, which is not truly "sealed" from the rest of the moho, and the bedding area immediately above the garage. We have never smelt any petrol either in the garage itself or anywhere else in the moho. And, believe me, my wife has a very keen sense of smell (unfortunately!).

Yes you will need V5 & insurance certificate, must be originals, copies are not acceptable same as the Motorhome really.
Our insurance documents for scooter, motorhome and cars are all issued electronically, so we have no paper "original". I just print out as many copies as I want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2017
We have taken out Vespa 300 on a rack on our Swift Bolero for the last 2 years successfully - taking with us the documents others have said - just remember to put a GB/UK sticker on the back of the scooter!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In the old days of carburettors you are probably correct. But not now we have fuel injection.
The OP is talking about an old scooter not a modern one.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Yes you will need V5 & insurance certificate, must be originals, copies are not acceptable same as the Motorhome really.
Our insurance documents for scooter, motorhome and cars are all issued electronically, so we have no paper "original". I just print out as many copies as I want.

Here too. I thought most insurance was online nowadays. Not had an 'original' document for many years!

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
You will need a Green Card to go with your insurance. Also because you are "transporting" it internally I'd check with the ferry/train company if they have any requirements regarding fuel.

If it is two stroke remember your own oil supply.

Have a good trip.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chriswalker

Free Member
Jul 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hey everybody, Thanks for all the advice, i am overwhelmed. Sounds like you've got a good Suzuki there suavecarve, good on ya. No worries Richard n Ann. I am a scooterist and understand old Vespa foibles. Keep The Faith TDub 49. Two wheels is the only way. Once again thanks for all your replies, it is much appreciated. Hope to see you on the road. Regards, Linda.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I thought your post may have been aimed at the issue of (post brexit) carnets that has been the topic of much discussion on bike fora but, evidently, that wasnā€™t your concern.

The conclusion of the bike fora discussions is that if the vehicle us registered in its own right and is being conveyed by you for your use then no carnet is required.

Ian

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You will need a Green Card to go with your insurance. Also because you are "transporting" it internally I'd check with the ferry/train company if they have any requirements regarding fuel.

If it is two stroke remember your own oil supply.

Have a good trip.
Green cards no longer required, in the news a couple of days ago.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back