Hi! Another newbie looking for first trip advice (1 Viewer)

Sam Harris

Free Member
Sep 30, 2017
folkestone
Funster No
MH
Ducato Benimar
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi guys and girls

We brought our motorhome (2004 benimar) nearly 4 weeks ago where it has so far just sat on the drive with big plans for europe next year, so to get the ball rolling we are planning a short 3 night break next weekend to start getting the hang of it and working out what we need and to survive and for how long without water/waste etc but i don't know where to start

We (myself, the wife, our 3year old daughter and the dog) live near folkestone and want to travel no more than 2-3hours drive to somewhere that we can test the motorhome facilities without just staying at a campsite

any advice?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi Sam and welcome to the Fun :hiya:

Wow - exciting times!
I agree with Smith & Sharp about a night on the drive being a good start, then maybe your first weekend could be on a campsite - use all your own facilities but there'll be somebody around to help if things go wrong or you can't work out how to do something. This will make sure you can have a great time on your first getaway :)
Or just 'go for it' and have a good laugh when you remember you needed to switch on the electricity to be able to switch on the gas hob, or to flush the loo..... :blush:
Sorry I can't suggest locations, I don't know Kent.

Whatever you do, have an adventure next weekend and many more after that (y)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Write yourself a check list of what you think you need to pack in your motorhome for a trip away and keep a pen handy to add to it and you will. Do the same for things you need to do on arrival on site and more importantly what to do and check before you leave a site or stop i.e. switch over fridge, close roof vents, make sure the step is in, etc.

Make sure your wife is in charge of the lists and then you have some one to blame is some thing is forgotten. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If i lived in Folkestone, know what i know about france, and had sufficient enough leave to justify 5 trips to france in a year, then i would be purchasing the frequent traveller to france on the tunnel. £110 return journey.
Its free when you get over there and if you have forgotten something (and you will) as long as its not your passport or debit card then life is fine.
Staying within an hour or so of Calais - Gravelines, Arras, Amiens, Bergues will give you something to see and do but not all in the same 3 day trip !

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
What are your family interests, use the moho to further that interest , and pick either a site or CL near that within your specified travel .
Staying in UK is probably best as you will have enough to deal with without any further complications . JMHO

ps its probably worth joining the forum "£" so you dont run into any limits it will be a good investment :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Why not drive up to Jasmin Camping, Jim's CL at Sutton-on-Sea? You'll get no end of help if you need it plus meet a few Funsters too!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

I like @TerryL suggestion. You'd be sure of a good welcome by 'Mr and Mrs Motorhome' and where better to get advice if needed.

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back