Hi; Am I nuts? Your opinions desperately needed. (1 Viewer)

rreid9

Free Member
Aug 26, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello all. I'm 55, and my divorce -after 30yrs- has just been finalised.:Sad: Can't find a place to rent in the area that will take me and my Tamaskan(might Wolf) Cody, and i can't afford to buy(settlement,costs, etc.) Anyway, thought i'd buy a MH and travel for the duration of my beloved dogs life(hopefully another 10 years). I'm hoping my ex will allow me to use former home as base for post so i should be ok with insurance. The choices of MH are enormous and, though i have done loads of research, i'm still non the wiser about; A) If i'm making the right decision or if i'm nuts. B) What size to buy (just me and Cody) or C) Do i buy old or new? (£35k max) These points are just the start, but i think i may have bored you already. Your thoughts, opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, my friends think it's a great idea and all want to come with me:roflmto:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Welcome to MotorhomeFUN, what a new adventure you are about to set off on !
Choose wisely and the next chapter of your life will be FUN :Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Welcome to Fun, loads of information on here, plenty of meets to go to and meet other Funsters.

As to a motorhome, buy a good used one, you get a lot more for your money, with a large dog, don't get a panel van.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi and welcome...

If it were me I would look for a smallish American RV with at least one slideout to give that extra bit of space.. Should pick up a good low mileage one with that sort of money..

And with LPG conversion if petrol not a lot more in costs to run if you keep to approx 26 - 28 ft. :thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As Peter from JCM said - better to get a used one. You might not like the layout and have to change.

With a small wolf on board (we camped once with our oafhound - GSD/Husky/Rottie X) you need a bit of space but it is sometimes surprising how a dog can fit easily. Ours slept between the drivers and passenger seats, with another in the passenger footwell - their natural choice.

If you are effectively fulltiming then I would suggest that a fixed bed van would be better than one without and a half dinette or something so you have a relaxing area as well. If it were me starting out on this great adventure, I would buy (or browse for free in Tesco) a few magazines (MMM etc) and look at the typical layouts in their back pages where they list prices, then go online and look at as many manufacturer sites as possible to get an idea of what might suit. Then go and have a look........ I loved the idea of a small Hymer until I found that it was very high up and didn't feel right. Nothing particular and a very nice van - it was just a personal feeling. If you are close to Newark then go to Brownhills and have a good browse in their vans for sale - mostly not locked so you can take your time. Be very careful when you do buy. Usual precuations if private sale plus MUST get a proper damp check done. If you buy from a dealer, always buy with a view to their customer service if something goes wrong. I won't recommend any dealer but google a few and see what people think of them. Bigger is not always best.......

Hope that helps and all the very best for the future

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
there are a few fulltimers on here, some with dogs and some without. from panel vans to huge RV's, it really depends how much travelling you envisage doing, do you always expect to be on a site with electric or do you intend to wild a lot, will you stick to the UK or travel the continent. First define what you will be doing, then what facilities you need and finally those you would like. as others have said you get a lot more for your money secondhand, milage is not normally an issue, the main thing is build quality especially for fulltiming. My preferance is for Merc engines with no timing belt issues and legendary milages. Hymer especially the older ones have fantastic build quality. Buy an older one for the build quality and use the money saved to replace bits an bobs that are worn to bring it up to a good spec. You know where you are then. a MMM magazine usually has loads of layout pics, have a look and see what suits you. Remember German built vans are usually built for a northern European winter (fully winterised and insulated well) whilst generally British build for a southern European summer. USA RV's vary from van to van some are winterised and some not, but there is a lot more space to heat and they drink fuel for a pastime. Enjoy looking buy Jims motorhome buyers guide and save yourself a lot of heartache. Most people get the layout they want by the third van, with careful investigation and endless lists you could do it in one. Good luck

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome to Fun rreid9

When my wife and I parted (amicably) I moved into my (small) motorhome and have never looked back. That was well over twenty years ago.

I would advise not spending too much on your first motorhome and assume that the first one you get will be temporary until you have tried the life a bit. Then you will be better equipped to make informed decisions to suit you... and the wolf of course... (won't really need an alarm I guess...)

JJ :Cool:

dc6947

Free Member
Aug 25, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
converted ducato
Exp
United Kingdom
Hello all. I'm 55, and my divorce -after 30yrs- has just been finalised.:Sad: Can't find a place to rent in the area that will take me and my Tamaskan(might Wolf) Cody, and i can't afford to buy(settlement,costs, etc.) Anyway, thought i'd buy a MH and travel for the duration of my beloved dogs life(hopefully another 10 years). I'm hoping my ex will allow me to use former home as base for post so i should be ok with insurance. The choices of MH are enormous and, though i have done loads of research, i'm still non the wiser about; A) If i'm making the right decision or if i'm nuts. B) What size to buy (just me and Cody) or C) Do i buy old or new? (£35k max) These points are just the start, but i think i may have bored you already. Your thoughts, opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, my friends think it's a great idea and all want to come with me:roflmto:

You are not crazy... or if you are you are in good company :ROFLMAO: I am equally as nuts, making the decision to get a MH also after a relationship breakdown, although i festered for a couple of years after my breakup before making the plunge - i dreamed for too long and didn't just get on and do it, that's my only regret. So good for you for getting out there and starting sooner!

I agree with the comments about buying second hand, especially initially. I have just spent 15k on a second hand van and realised after a month in it it's not quite the layout i like/need and it's not a big problem because when i want to sell it i can easily do so without losing much (or any!) of the initial outlay. With a new van you are going to lose a lot just in a few months. For 35k you should get a very decent second hand van.

My friends also think it is a great idea generally, but seem horrified when i talk about longer term stuff. They think a tour of Europe for a year is fantastic, but almost keel over in shock when i talk about the possibility of making it a longer term thing. So i don't tell them at this stage too much because in reality i don't fully know where i'll be in a year or two - although secretly i'm working up to being a fulltimer at least for a few years ;). People seem to have an issue with me 'crossing the boundary' from being an acceptable long term holidayer, to being a 'gypsy'.

Anyway, i say enjoy it - we only live once and it doesn't matter if you are nuts, just go for what you want out of life you aren't hurting anyone ;), and Cody will love it!

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

Hi! Having read the replies to your thread it is clear you have received some excellent advice about going full time. I know its not for me but I can see the attraction and so have read quite a few threads about full timing.
The one thing all full timers have to take into consideration is what will they do when, for whatever reason, they can no longer fuill time?
You have suggested your fulltiming will be until your "wolf" goes to doggy heaven - then what and more importantly where.
Another concern for fulltimers is what do I do should I beome ill, what problems will illness or accident present and how do I cope with them.

Having had one traumatic experience it is important not to race into another situation that may be as equally traumatic, but no, you are not mad or insane. You have spent most of your life thinking in terms of being a couple and that requires self sacrifice for mtual beneift, now you can please yourself. So why not.

Whatever you decide I hope it fulfills your need for adventure and your search for happiness.

Norman

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Go for it you'll have a ball

and the wolf of course... (won't really need an alarm I guess...) JJ :Cool:

People often think this! Does the dog use a litter tray then:winky: or do you have to take the dog out for long meaningful walks?

Eddie:roflmto:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just a thought re travelling with your dog.
The pet passport requirements are changing after Jan 2012. From that date your dog can have the rabies jab and re-enter the UK 21 days later--blood test and 6 months wait no longer necessary.
So if you're planning European travel together worth checking with a vet on best time to passport to make it the cheapest/simplest you can do.
The blood tests for 5 animals cost me a fortune! :cry:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sound advice from JJ (one who knows!:thumb:)

AND

Welcome:thumb: if you really are a nutter you will have plenty of company here!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back