Hi all, newbie from cumbria here (1 Viewer)

Busterfridge

Free Member
Feb 28, 2017
sunny cleator
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
Hi all, me and mrs fridge have decided on my retirement to get ourselves a motorhome after many years of camping in tents, but we realise we have alot to learn, the research has begun and so has the learning, so any advice anyone has we are more than ready to listen to. We have started looking round to see what we might want and see what falls into our budget, the plan is, is to attend the next motorhome show in birmingham or glasgow, then hire one for a week or a fortnight then make the major purchase and disappear into the distance !

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome Buster from just across the Solway.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Good plan.
animated welcome group purple.gif

barwik

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
dont own one - yet !
Exp
Hello and good luck , were new to this game - we did all the research inc the motorshow and was blown away with whats out there, how big and popular motorhoming is but also how expensive they can be . Our budget went out the window as the size of our van got bigger with what we wanted but we still went and did it .
We did consider hiring one but again I thought that was really quite expensive and looking back I don't know if it would have helped as there's so much to get your head round regarding heating , waste , water ,sleeping , hot water or no hot water too many things to list - it would have put me off . So several trips later and still waiting for some nice weather were getting better and knowing whats what - and I still aint sure how my fridge works.
I'm sure whatever you choose will be perfect for you but the best bit of advice I received ( and it came from here ) was layout , layout , layout .
wishing you all the best, john

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Morning from a fellow Cumbrian. We are near Penrith if you ever want to call for a natter.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello and welcome to the Fun
upload_2017-3-1_10-22-37.png

When you go to the shows, don't be shy: don't just try the driving & passenger seats - try out the lounge area for comfort, lay on the beds, stand in the showers & mimic getting washed, sit on the loo to make sure there's enough room, mimic prepping a meal, if the beds need making then have a go to see how easy/difficult it is... etc etc etc.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hello and welcome to the Fun View attachment 150190

When you go to the shows, don't be shy: don't just try the driving & passenger seats - try out the lounge area for comfort, lay on the beds, stand in the showers & mimic getting washed, sit on the loo to make sure there's enough room, mimic prepping a meal, if the beds need making then have a go to see how easy/difficult it is... etc etc etc.
Second that advice, we hired 2 vans before buying, but were planning well ahead, a coachbuilt 2 years befor buying and a PVC the year before. cost no more than our annual holiday would have and gained so much from it. Had first van for 5 years.
Think carefully about how you will use the van, wish we had dual heating and water heating on this van, were so pleased we had found one we could get the bike in we forgot to ask DOH. Enjoy your search it is all part of the fun.

OP
OP
B

Busterfridge

Free Member
Feb 28, 2017
sunny cleator
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks for the welcome everyone, its appreciatted, the learning has begun, nipping over to harrogate in 3 weeks to attend the show there to see what we can learn and see if there is anything we fancy, anyone ever been before ?

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
:hi2::welco: