Hi All, newbie & about to hire ? (1 Viewer)

petra

Free Member
Jan 22, 2012
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
"Don't own one yet"
Exp
" I'm a newbie"
We have been taking our holidays in our own static caravan for a number of years, but we are beginning to get the urge to visit other places around the country & possibly beyond. Reading on the forum & talking to a few owners who have been parked up has convinced us to give a motor home a try.
Unusually for us we have not jumped in at the deep end & bought one, because the outlay of pound notes is on such a grand scale it can`t afford to be a nine-day-wonder :Doh: , so we have hired a motor home for 7nights in a couple of months time to see what it`s like.
" Now here`s were you funsters come into your own " we would appreciate any help you can give us for our maiden trip because there must be all kinds of things that we are ignorant about that can make it a pleasant & repeatable event or
a disastrous lets not do that again.....& we really want this to be the start of something new as we will be retiring soon & will have time on our hands for trips away. Thanks :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Merseyside, no need to male it a marathon so do a couple of sites in the Lake District.

Boness - you get to eat out in some good restaurants.

Ambleside - a cheap field to get the full on your own experience, though you can walk into Ambleside.

If you can handle the lakes the whole of Europe is at your feet.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi Petra

:Smile:
We have been taking our holidays in our own static caravan for a number of years, but we are beginning to get the urge to visit other places around the country & possibly beyond. Reading on the forum & talking to a few owners who have been parked up has convinced us to give a motor home a try.
Unusually for us we have not jumped in at the deep end & bought one, because the outlay of pound notes is on such a grand scale it can`t afford to be a nine-day-wonder :Doh: , so we have hired a motor home for 7nights in a couple of months time to see what it`s like.
" Now here`s were you funsters come into your own " we would appreciate any help you can give us for our maiden trip because there must be all kinds of things that we are ignorant about that can make it a pleasant & repeatable event or
a disastrous lets not do that again.....& we really want this to be the start of something new as we will be retiring soon & will have time on our hands for trips away. Thanks :thumb:

Hello and welcome , Do you know what type of van you are hiring if so I suggest that you both read up on it ,do you both drive ,what kind of distances will you be driving ,I see that you have hired for 7 days , do you want seaside or country places ,moving on daily ?that the sort of thing you will need to consider. I like to book sites well in advance but thats just me its peace of mind really as you would be amazed at how quickly the sites are filled these days .You are right to ask as many people take things they will never need or use and others forget the most basic things like corkscrews:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi and :welcomefunster:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hello and welcome

hopefully the company that you are hiring the motorhome off will give you a good guided tour of all its workings.
if you are in doubt of anything after you have left i'm sure they will only be at the end of the phone to help.

if you pay the subscription to motorhome fun you will be able to attend one of the meets if there is one that co-incides with the time you have hired the one for.
what Hilldweller said makes sense too about the lake district depending on when you are going. as with many places there are times to avoid them.

good luck and don't forget your corkscrew and of course something to open with it.:thumb:

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No

Petra welcome and enjoy take it slowly listen to others, then use the advic
e that is best for you.Stay Safe :thumb:its a great way to see the world.

OP
OP
P

petra

Free Member
Jan 22, 2012
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
"Don't own one yet"
Exp
" I'm a newbie"
The plan so far is........

Firstly can I say thank you to all those who have welcomed us to this forum & hope that we enjoy our first mh trip & are here to stay..Our plan so far is to stay a bit closer to home.....
We & our two dogs are picking up a 2 berth mh
with fixed bed from Chester & driving a short distance to Oswestry, Shropshire, to a pre-booked site I found on the UK Campsites website, the chap I spoke to was extremely helpful & interested about it being our first time out explaining that our first visit is like a taster but future visits require caravan club membership. Is this normal with all sites?
We are there for a couple of days to familiarise ourselves with the mh & do a bit of pottering around that area. Monday should see us moving off to the Peak district
to another site (haven`t booked that yet), the idea being that we want to experience the mh without taking on a long journey as well, because if all goes to plan that can come later.
This is all planned for April & I will put our experiences on the forum somewhere, good or bad, just to let you all know how it went...counting down the days !!!!
Thanks again :thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

1) try not to pack glass and pottery in to over head lockers (things seam to just jump out of them )

2) write a check list well in advance of what you need with you (corkscrew, potato peeler, water tap connectors )
3) make sure you know where the jack is
4) a 12V splitter to run 12V items ( satnav/ phone charger ect)
5) all your personal items
6) have a pre flight check list (lock roof lights turn off water pump ect)
load up keep heavy items low and enjoy
remember the motorhome will not drive or handle like a car
a rear view camera is a must for reversing
an Inverter 12v -240V is a must too
take a kettle and heater from home to use on EHU saves gas
:thumb::thumb:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
If you get stuck, ask another Motorhomer. I would be amazed if you don't get the help you need. We are a Band of Brothers and Sisters.

Steve

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi and welcome. I hope you enjoy your first taste of life on the road/campground. There seems such a lot to take in, just relax, don't rush, and enjoy. You have only 7 days, so just take it easy.
Something l always do when leaving a stopover is a "walk around". Make sure that nothing is connected to the electricity, water, waste, ramps if you have them, windows are closed, ariels are down, lockers closed, steps are stowed, etc;etc;
It is not a good idea to forget the hook up lead and drive away ripping the heart out of the connections.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back