Hi all ! new on here today (1 Viewer)

Noparticularplacetogo

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
Just bought our first motorhome at last!
Looking to buy a drive away awning but have no rail on the Compass Avantguarde 120.
Do not really want to screw one in place but think I have read somewhere you can attach one with modern adhesives.
Anyone able to suggest a suitable rail and adhesive and where to purchase please

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello and welcome! :D

I like your username...!

Why not get a retractable awning? Something like Thule Omnistor?

I don't think a drive away awning would be very practical.

OP
OP
Noparticularplacetogo

Noparticularplacetogo

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for both welcome and your like!
Pull out does not really cover our needs i e British weather, so often large hairy wet dog to deal with !(no not the wife!) but seriously would be great to have somewhere to dry it off and keep our lovely motorhome as clean as poss.
Also want to be able to leave stuff on pitch while we pop out to visit places during the day(why we chose a very small motorhome only 17.5 ft long)
so any help with this would be great

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and welcome! :welcome3:

Must say, tend to agree with Southdowners about the need for a drive-away awning.

Have you thought about a free-standing quick erect shelter instead. Could save a lot of faffing about trying to hook-up and unhook the new motorhome. Just park close to it.

Something like this from Khyam: https://tinyurl.com/y77y4fu3

Enjoy your new van.

Mike (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A lot of folks on here swear by the Quest pop up awning in preference to a drive away or putting sides on a roll out.

OP
OP
Noparticularplacetogo

Noparticularplacetogo

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
Thanks everyone for your kind welcome,have taken on board replies suggesting stand alone etc but to be honest I can buy a pump up drive away that can still be used as a stand alone if if seems too much agro to use as intended.
The drive away I had in mind comes with 8m straps to secure over the motorhome instead of using a rail (although many say they are noisy in windy conditions) but would like to find an adhesive based rail if poss and see how I get on with it.
Any way thanks again all and perhaps I will post on another of our forums to see if anyone knows where to find one.
Cliff

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Thanks everyone for your kind welcome,have taken on board replies suggesting stand alone etc but to be honest I can buy a pump up drive away that can still be used as a stand alone if if seems too much agro to use as intended.
The drive away I had in mind comes with 8m straps to secure over the motorhome instead of using a rail (although many say they are noisy in windy conditions) but would like to find an adhesive based rail if poss and see how I get on with it.
Any way thanks again all and perhaps I will post on another of our forums to see if anyone knows where to find one.
Cliff
there are OTHER forums?:)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome.
I think your ideas are sound but cannot help much as I've not done that.
Initial set-up, attached to the van should be easy (pitch the tent to suit the van) but I'd consider the ease by which you might be able to realign yourself when you return from a trip.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Having had experience of a Kampa awning (not drive-away) I hate to see our van with an awning attached to it! Personally I hate to see them and the problem I can see with straps going over your van is rubbing, after a while of windy weather and movement they’re going to damage the paintwork! We have a channel strip on our van-was there when we bought the van-and doesn’t cause a problem.
We bought a stand-alone tent for extras and space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back