Hi all, my name is Roy, retired and my wife an I sold our house and are now travelling around NZ in our new 2020 swift voyager 694. Really enjoying it (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hi Roy - we were in NZ for 6 months in 2018 travelling about in our MH which we shipped there from almost new. We sold through a broker before we left to return to the UK. Would definitely do the same again but buy a more moderate MH. The broker was brilliant and the end sale was seamless. 6 months was not long enough and we ended up returning at end of 2019 for another 3 months to finish off what had been on our wish list! Do get in touch if you have any questions - we would do it again in a heartbeat. I also posted a blog online if you are interested.....
how did that work out financially - did you take a big loss on the sale after factoring in transporting it to NZ

Yorkie Oliver

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
New to this forum but jut thought a posting would be helpful as we have experience of this. In 2013 we used Paul Graveling of Castle European in New Zealand as our agent.

To take advantage of the tax regulations we bought brand new in the UK and so long as we stayed outside the EU for 6 months, the VAT was not payable. (Obviously I’m unsure hoW Brexit impacts this).

Believe it or not after paying for the Motorhome, Paul’s fees, transportation, import duties, conversion to NZ standards Paul sold the van for us after we had used it for just over 6 months and made a profit of 19,000 New Zealand dollars, which then was just less than £10,000.

We took Paul’s advice on what van to buy - from memory it had to be Right Hand Drive, habitation door on passenger side, automatic gearbox and fixed bed - these are the models Paul have found are in demand there.

Like Davidandkay we had a super time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Arrived there Xmas Eve 1970 with $NZ 3 in my pocket , got a job as Construction Rigger Pile Driving, building the Wellington Container Wharf, then the James Cook Hotel.
Worked on the Wharf for the USSCo Moved to Ohope, then Riverhead, left back to Oz in 89, been here since 2000.

NZ , wonderful Country! never saw so many shades of green, and around every corner a big WOW!

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
New to this forum but jut thought a posting would be helpful as we have experience of this. In 2013 we used Paul Graveling of Castle European in New Zealand as our agent.

To take advantage of the tax regulations we bought brand new in the UK and so long as we stayed outside the EU for 6 months, the VAT was not payable. (Obviously I’m unsure hoW Brexit impacts this).

Believe it or not after paying for the Motorhome, Paul’s fees, transportation, import duties, conversion to NZ standards Paul sold the van for us after we had used it for just over 6 months and made a profit of 19,000 New Zealand dollars, which then was just less than £10,000.

We took Paul’s advice on what van to buy - from memory it had to be Right Hand Drive, habitation door on passenger side, automatic gearbox and fixed bed - these are the models Paul have found are in demand there.

Like Davidandkay we had a super time
We also used Paul, who was amazing to deal with.

Apr 23, 2010
Katikati, New Zealand
Funster No
I've bought 4 motorhomes in the UK, had 5-6 months touring UK and Europe, then shipped them back to NZ and then used them/sold them here. Never made a profit, but broke even at least. 2019 was the last one, we never actually made the trip due to illness, but shipped the new moho back anyway and still have it. Covid stuffed up our 2020 trip, and this year probably no better. 2022 anyone? The great thing about motorhoming this year in NZ is we're not having to compete with young (cheap) international tourists sleeping in their cars or sideslammers. The local tourism is going very well.

Oct 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9095DF
Exp
Since 2015
Hi BrucHel the colour of the lake is a dead giveaway, Pukaki. What a place, what a country loved it.

Oct 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9095DF
Exp
Since 2015
Friends of ours who live in Auckland, fly to the UK, purchase a Motorhome and “do europe”. They have definitely seen more of Europe than us. They have been everywhere. When they have finished touring, they put the van on a boat and ship to NZ to sell. They don’t pay UK vat and generally say that the profit of the sale pays for their trip. Not sure if this will continue as more European vans arrive in NZ.

Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
Interested to chat with others and share tips etc on how to look after the RV. I’ve increased my w/tank to 200lt, have a direct water supply inlet, pressure adjusted, spare tyre fitted, have some issues with waste tank monitoring, inconsistent readings , other than that everything’s fine, mind you I have only travelled 5-6000 km so far. Would love to chat with similar interests😀
Lucky you to be there right now. We left NZ in March and can't wait to get back. Our camper is in storage, it's the one in the avatar. We bought it back in 2006 and still love it. Usually we spend November to March in NZ, returning to Uk before heading to Europe for as much of the summer as we can. I'm sure you know about the NZMCA and all the benefits of that? Are you resident there? Do you have a base?

SOOZANDIAN

Free Member
Jun 7, 2015
ABERDEEN
Funster No
MH
Rimmer Ahorn
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Roy - we were in NZ for 6 months in 2018 travelling about in our MH which we shipped there from almost new. We sold through a broker before we left to return to the UK. Would definitely do the same again but buy a more moderate MH. The broker was brilliant and the end sale was seamless. 6 months was not long enough and we ended up returning at end of 2019 for another 3 months to finish off what had been on our wish list! Do get in touch if you have any questions - we would do it again in a heartbeat. I also posted a blog online if you are interested.....
Hi David & Kay - really interested in what you did. Do you have a link to your blog? Many thanks

Oct 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Spirit 604 on
Exp
8 months
Hi Roys Swift Rv we toured NZ for 3 weeks this time last year - getting out a few days before the country locked down or we would still be there. We saw loads of UK vans as we went around South Island. Well you do drive on the right side (the left) of the road so it makes sense. Liked the experience it gave us the idea to buy a van in the UK

Am I correct the van you bought is dealer special of the NZ importer? I am awaiting a Swift Escape myself which is also a dealer special and noticed the name Voyager on the specs. Swift do a lot of dealer specials which come with a lot of extras. One of the large NZ hire companies, Iconic, had a fleet of Swifts although I think they have gone out if business due to the lockdown. Dont think they are the only NZ hire company that are in trouble. When we were there it was like the UN at most sites.

Must be nice for Kiwis to have the place to themselves for a change.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Welcome to the house of fun from sunny Suffolk U.K.
We toured NZ two years ago and loved it. When we return for longer, probably by Motorhome next time, last time air B and B.
Phil

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I've bought 4 motorhomes in the UK, had 5-6 months touring UK and Europe, then shipped them back to NZ and then used them/sold them here. Never made a profit, but broke even at least. 2019 was the last one, we never actually made the trip due to illness, but shipped the new moho back anyway and still have it. Covid stuffed up our 2020 trip, and this year probably no better. 2022 anyone? The great thing about motorhoming this year in NZ is we're not having to compete with young (cheap) international tourists sleeping in their cars or sideslammers. The local tourism is going very well.

Yes when we were over in 2016 it was disheartening seeing the mess left behind by the car sleepers.

Fortunately we were over late in the season so didn’t have to deal with Asians driving on the wrong side of the road either.
Something we were warned about.

Fantastic Country to tour in and wild camp, many happy weeks spent there 😊

Jul 20, 2017
Epsom, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
how did that work out financially - did you take a big loss on the sale after factoring in transporting it to NZ
It wasn't a huge loss - taking into into account the fact that we had the use of the MH for 6 months in NZ. It was an A class which was our choice but against the advice we were given - apparently they are not so popular in NZ as the cost of importing the windscreens put people off. We didn't make money on it - but we were happy to mainly recover our losses.

Jul 20, 2017
Epsom, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi David & Kay - really interested in what you did. Do you have a link to your blog? Many thanks
It was called kylieinnz.blogspot.com. I am not sure how to share it now - brain dead from being inside too long!!

Greame.M

Free Member
Feb 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Swift 590
Interested to chat with others and share tips etc on how to look after the RV. I’ve increased my w/tank to 200lt, have a direct water supply inlet, pressure adjusted, spare tyre fitted, have some issues with waste tank monitoring, inconsistent readings , other than that everything’s fine, mind you
Hi Roy your living the dream. Enjoy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back