Hi all, another newbie from North West (1 Viewer)

familytime

Free Member
Jul 12, 2017
north west
Funster No
MH
Rimor katormarano 9 plus
Exp
im a newbie
Hi all, we pick up our motorhome this weekend and thought i would join as this seems to be a really good forum.

A question already, the motorhome we are buying is a year old and had a damaged rear bumper which was screwed into place as a temporary repair. We are buying from a large dealer and they will be putting on a new bumper and repair with habitation check etc. The body of the van didn't looked fine and so did underneath. Would you ask for any other checks/assurance ? ill be paying for this for the next 10 years so would not want any issues.

Anyway first trip away is France, can't wait!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
:ello: & :welco:

As with any impact damage, it's often what you can't easily see that can be worse than what you can see, consequential damage to the bumper may have impacted the chassis.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello and welcome :)

Another North Westerner here. Whereabouts are you from?

Might I suggest you become a full member before you go abroad as you only get five free posts and you might need support ... which you will get on here aplenty ... at some point over there. We even have members over there.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If it is a large dealer, let him know you are a member on here. He won't want bad publicity. .. hope all is well...

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome!
Make sure that when they do the handover all work has been completed before as it will be more difficult to get the work done easily as you will have to book it in etc.
Enjoy your lovely new lifestyle and there is so much info on here about French travel!:WelcomeFlag:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, why not pay a couple of hundred pound for an expert to inspect it. It's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.
Does the dealer have an uptodate HPI check on it as this might mention if it was an insurance job, not 100% sure though.

OP
OP
F

familytime

Free Member
Jul 12, 2017
north west
Funster No
MH
Rimor katormarano 9 plus
Exp
im a newbie
Im from Preston.
Bad news, just had a call from the dealer to say the light clusters are going to be delayed as they are coming from Italy. This didn't sound right to me so when i asked why they didn't come when they ordered the new bumper he told me that they haven't ordered a new bumper it has just gone in for a plastic repair. Alarm bells are now ringing, and potentially i won't have the van in time for our planned holiday with all sites paid! complete nightmare

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Im from Preston.
Bad news, just had a call from the dealer to say the light clusters are going to be delayed as they are coming from Italy. This didn't sound right to me so when i asked why they didn't come when they ordered the new bumper he told me that they haven't ordered a new bumper it has just gone in for a plastic repair. Alarm bells are now ringing, and potentially i won't have the van in time for our planned holiday with all sites paid! complete nightmare
Get them to offer a loan at the very least so your holiday is not ruined.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Im from Preston.
Would that be the we'll known dealer down on the docks ?

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Welcome from another from the North West i bought from the dealer you are using and they were fine sorting problems etc

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:hiya2: , Enjoy the family time in France and welcome to the fun (y) If you're not sure about any aspect of the forums, check out the FAQ

OP
OP
F

familytime

Free Member
Jul 12, 2017
north west
Funster No
MH
Rimor katormarano 9 plus
Exp
im a newbie
thanks. Just waiting for a call back from the salesman who thinks it is sorted. I will not be accepting a repaired bumper though!We also planned to stop away on Saturday to get used to the van and iron out any issues before we went to France.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
If it's the one I'm thinking of that used to be the big hymer dealer then they also have a sales place at Lostock Hall and they are quite good to deal with as @Howard H said ......I would ask them to loan you a vehicle if yours isn't going to be ready.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hello and welcome, my only concern is that the panels behind the bumper have been damaged with the possibility of water ingress. what make and model of van?

OP
OP
F

familytime

Free Member
Jul 12, 2017
north west
Funster No
MH
Rimor katormarano 9 plus
Exp
im a newbie
Hello. The van I am buying is a rimor katormorano 2016. After speaking with them it will now be ready at weekend as agreed a month ago. They have got rear light clusters from an elddis apparently and had plastic repairs to the rear bumper. I have said I am not happy with a repair as I was promised a new bumper. They say that it is not really a bumper just plastic housing, with no damage underneath at all. Behind is the garage which you can clearly see in and all looked fine. I think we will take it, but in writing return after our holiday for a new bumper. All thoughts please as you are a helpful bunch!

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
@familytime , just been looking at your van online it looks great I am sure you are going to have a great time in it. It sure has a lot of beds but looks really tidy ,enjoy France post plenty of pIctures we like pictures on here :D I was looking at the Wrong van but now have found yours still looks great I was looking at the 7 berth one :LOL:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

familytime

Free Member
Jul 12, 2017
north west
Funster No
MH
Rimor katormarano 9 plus
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks Howard! we know we like an island bed as our caravan had an island bed, and my kids still get a bed each. Become a member of this site as the resources and community seems a lot better than some of the other clubs I have joined. Thanks for all the warm welcomes, it is appreciated and your knowledge and help does go along way with newbies.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just had a wee nosey at the van and it does look nice and well laid out, my main issue though would be the payload. It says on the ad its gross 3500kg. I dont know how many of you are in the family but I doubt very much if you could load all the stuff for 2 people and stay underweight never mind a family. I would ask the dealer to weigh the van and get a copy of the weight. Then you have to add everyones weight and all your essentials as I said i doubt you'll be under 3500kg and if not your illegal.

Not trying to put a dampener on your dream just trying to help you, its quite easy to get most vans up rated to carry more weight, majority of the time its a paper exercise. Thats assuming you have the correct license, if you past your test prior to 97 you should be ok.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
An idea on your handover would be to get your wife/kids to video it. If you forget something important like where the drinks cabinet is you can find it on the video. Also if you ask any "awkward" questions like when do I get my new bumper? You have evidence. (y):LOL:

OP
OP
F

familytime

Free Member
Jul 12, 2017
north west
Funster No
MH
Rimor katormarano 9 plus
Exp
im a newbie
Good advice, although I thought 625 Kg payload would be fine. I won't be taking any bikes?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back