Hi a new kid in town know absolutely nothing about motorhomes. If wild camping what would you advise on generator. I have bought a bursten delfin. New (1 Viewer)

Browngard

Free Member
Aug 2, 2021
Clackmannan, UK
Funster No
MH
Burnster delfin
Exp
B
Hi just bought bursten delfin. What generator would you recommend. For powering. Just not wanting too use campsites. I know loads of places around nc500 for example I can lay up

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Kermit Dancing GIF
:welc: Alot of us just use solarpanels and inverter
edit as above i was toooo slow

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Welcome, quite an interesting question for a first post, have you brought a tin hat with you? ;) Incoming:giggle::giggle:.
Good luck.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)
(Tin hat definitely required……!;))

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi just bought bursten delfin. What generator would you recommend. For powering. Just not wanting too use campsites. I know loads of places around nc500 for example I can lay up

Welcome. You've open a refusal discussion point but to cut a long story short:

Start with working out how much power you'll need and whether your existing leisure battery will meet that need; many folk survived for two or more days on lb aline.

If you need more power and you've reduced all power demands as much as possible consider a second leisure battery. If that isn't sufficient and you are likely to be away when it is sunny, look at solar options.

If all of the above are insufficient, consider a generator but be sure to check now much power you would expect it to supply and how much space and payload it is worth devoting to power supply. Many folk don't use their generators or use them rarely.

Don't forget that many folk think that they are noisy, smelly and rarely appreciated by neighbours.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
It all depends…

How long are you REALLY going to be off the grid ?

we have 200 watts of solar (two permanent solar panels on the roof). And two leisure batteries (2*100AH)

We can survive at least 4 days off the grid. The batteries stay full - we’ve never even got close. We don’t watch a lot of tele but we do listen to music most evenings (streamed). No inverter (mains power created from the batteries horrendous use of battery capacity)

So if all you want is to stay off the grid. Get 12v adapters for everything ( think USB) - the only thing we haven’t sorted is the electric toothbrush! No hairdryers, straightening tongs or nesspresso machines though)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
If your driving the NC500 then I doubt you need much more than the alternator to charge the batteries as much of your time will be driving?

Cheers James

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
As you're driving around, if you can live without hairdryers or those eco-catastrophic capsule coffee machines, a decent B2B charger (at a fraction of the price of a generator) will keep you topped up without the need to wake the dead, even in the depths of winter, especially if you have Lithium batteries, which are massively more electrically efficient than lead acid. Solar's great for lounging around the Med, but won't help you much on the NC500 outside the midge season.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Two other factors to influence time "off-grid" are sufficient supply of fresh water and capacity of your toilet cassette.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Two other factors to influence time "off-grid" are sufficient supply of fresh water and capacity of your toilet cassette.

Yes, but in electrical terms, "off grid" can also mean staying at £6-8p/n CL/CS sites without electric, where water and emptying are provided instead of £20p/n with EHU (including the inevitable toilet and shower blocks you don't need).

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Solar panels and b2b chargers are good examples of electric generators :)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Yes, but in electrical terms, "off grid" can also mean staying at £6-8p/n CL/CS sites without electric, where water and emptying are provided instead of £20p/n with EHU (including the inevitable toilet and shower blocks you don't need).
Yes, that is true, but in this instance from the OP ......

"Just not wanting too use campsites. I know loads of places around nc500 for example I can lay up."

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Welcome!

The best answer I can give is….please don’t! We all go to wild places for the peace and serenity. As others have already said, beef up your solar panels and batteries, or swap for LiFePO4. Install a battery-to-battery charger and reduce your consumption by installing LEDs.

We have not yet had to use an electric hook-up.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
A generator? Just don't park up close to anyone else. Preferably in the next field. :eek:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Check out how many Generators including The Honda super Quiet ones are for sale, its a mistake that I, & many others as a "newbie" nearly made, but was rescued by sensible alternatives just in time.(y)
Good a solar panel set up with decent MPPT controller, plus maybe B2B charger, and some decent deep cycle Gel leisure batteries, or Lithium if you get the correct charging regime installed.
Welcome to Fun by the way.(y)
LES

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have two solar panels and lithium batteries. Much quieter than a genny.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Solar & and two good sized batteries.
Wild camping…..you will not be popular in a lot of places!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
w2f

Petrol generators are a noisey option.One of these would be the one to go for!

<Broken link removed>
Hi Browngard .

Please note that this EcoFlow device is not a generator, it has to be recharged by a separate external device. It is silent but it is really only a battery with a range of useful outputs.

It is described as having a Lithium-ion battery which is a generic description for all types of Lithium battery. The safest type of Lithium battery for use in a motorhome is the LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) type, which is used by a lot of Motorhomefun members. I would want to know exactly what type of Lithium battery is inside a device before buying it. I am always doubtful about adverts that use a generic term like Lithium-ion rather than give proper details.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back