HGV Entitlement - Reinstatement (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
morning all,
at 55 when i was required to have a medical to retain my hgv entitlement i decided that i would not need the entitlement anymore.
2.5yrs down the line i would like the entitlement back.
i have looked at the dvla website and i do not see anything related to my question. i have seen on another site from 2012 that if you get the d1 and the medial done you can have the entitlement reinstated.
can anymore assist in if the reinstatement is possible?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
You can easily get it back , I let my Class1 lapse when I was 50 thinking I wouldn’t need it back
Two years later I decided to go back on the road so phoned DVLA and they sent me the necessary forms , past a medical and I got the entitlement reinstated on my licence

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Agree with above.
I was in exact same situation.
Let it lapse for about 3 years then decided I might want it back in case I even bought an RV above 7.5t.
Made a call at the time and was told "you still hold entitlement" Got the medical done and applied. Re-instated. (y)

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
you also need to do the digital tacho course

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
You do need a digicard but there is no course for it by itself its part of the cpc modules you take. a whole 40 hrs worth in a classroom at your expense
Who has added 5 hours to cpc modules?
I last did 5 x7hr modules

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
you can do them on line you do need a a specific digi course only if a particular employer requires that unit of the cpc do you intend to work for hire or reward (commercially) ?

CPD now gone on line and cheaper than face to face see below (and yes they do check you are engaging and not watching telly)

Tacho card if you need one I think £36 ish not sure if the price has gone up or if you have an old £19 to renew

Daft question but why did you let it lapse ? I always advise the 'old guys' that don't intend to do another 5 years keep it running as you never know when you need it.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you do one set of cpc it in effect gives you 10 years. As it will give you the 5 you qualified for then a further 5 to get the next set done.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
So long as you re-apply within 10 years you can get licence back without re taking test. Don't ask how I know

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
If you do one set of cpc it in effect gives you 10 years. As it will give you the 5 you qualified for then a further 5 to get the next set done.
Are you sure? I was led to believe it lasts five years from the completion of the last module, and you then need to acquire the next block before the 5 years are up to carry on.

OP
OP
MrDean
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
you also need to do the digital tacho course
only if i am driving vehicles with one?
this is just to reinstate my class 1 in case i need to swap to a european licence for residency so i can keep the 5.3t motorhome.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Now we are out of the eu is a hgv license transferable to another European country with out taking a test.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
But only if you’re backed on a bay for loading. Haha
Hi.
Tesco Warminster ?......... You could be sat there for two Birthdays with the same load......... DODGE going there !! Ask any of Eddie Stobarts old drivers, their problem there.
Tea Bag

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The extra time is probably for the new module.
How to safely breath, blink, go to the toilet, safely wash your hands, how to order food etc.
I did one 2 years ago and I thought they were making a comedy programme.
They feel worse when paying for your own course

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi.
Tesco Warminster ?......... You could be sat there for two Birthdays with the same load......... DODGE going there !! Ask any of Eddie Stobarts old drivers, their problem there.
Tea Bag
When in places like that it’s easy to spot the drivers on % as they are jumping up and down moaning like hell.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
you can do them on line you do need a a specific digi course only if a particular employer requires that unit of the cpc do you intend to work for hire or reward (commercially) ?

CPD now gone on line and cheaper than face to face see below (and yes they do check you are engaging and not watching telly)

Tacho card if you need one I think £36 ish not sure if the price has gone up or if you have an old £19 to renew

Daft question but why did you let it lapse ? I always advise the 'old guys' that don't intend to do another 5 years keep it running as you never know when you need it.
Gave mine up at 70,,doubt I will need it again,,had it nearly 50 years so had my money's worth,,BUSBY.

Backdraft

Free Member
Aug 5, 2018
Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
So long as you re-apply within 10 years you can get licence back without re taking test. Don't ask how I know
Not sure about the 10 years, I had mine put back on in January, and it had lapsed back in 2009. I think if you have ever had an HGV licence you don't lose it, just the right to use it.

Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
rds9298 might I suggest that you call the DVLA for the correct information regarding renewing your Category C+E, also you might find that any UK vocational entitlement is not recognised by any EU member states now so you may end up without your “acquired rights” category c1 either so please be mindful of this as well.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I let mine expire. But it’s nice to know I can get it back if I do go for a heavy motorhome 👍😷🥃

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
rds9298 might I suggest that you call the DVLA for the correct information regarding renewing your Category C+E, also you might find that any UK vocational entitlement is not recognised by any EU member states now so you may end up without your “acquired rights” category c1 either so please be mindful of this as well.
At present we are still in 'the grace period' but as the CPC is not going away so that our drivers can continue to drive in the EU and vice versa as it is required in the EU (whether we are part of it or not) if we do not have similar I am sure that they would put some sort or additional acquisition to ensure knowledge is up to date.

2018 a driver that had been driving for 30 years+ was reluctantly attending a CPC course and as, in the drivers job description, was moaning that he had been driving all these years and did not need to be attending this kind of course. When discussing speed limits he loudly protested that the speed on a motorway for a LGV was 56

It was not until when he stopped for breath that he realised everyone in the room was looking at him when it was explained that the speed limit had gone up. He said it must have been recently then the trainer then explained if you call 2015 recent then yes........much to the amusement of his colleagues.

At the end of the course he stood up and in front of everyone thanked the trainer and said see you on the next one, I am sure you will have another trick to prove I don't know everything and left laughing :giggler:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
At present we are still in 'the grace period' but as the CPC is not going away so that our drivers can continue to drive in the EU and vice versa as it is required in the EU (whether we are part of it or not) if we do not have similar I am sure that they would put some sort or additional acquisition to ensure knowledge is up to date.

2018 a driver that had been driving for 30 years+ was reluctantly attending a CPC course and as, in the drivers job description, was moaning that he had been driving all these years and did not need to be attending this kind of course. When discussing speed limits he loudly protested that the speed on a motorway for a LGV was 56

It was not until when he stopped for breath that he realised everyone in the room was looking at him when it was explained that the speed limit had gone up. He said it must have been recently then the trainer then explained if you call 2015 recent then yes........much to the amusement of his colleagues.

At the end of the course he stood up and in front of everyone thanked the trainer and said see you on the next one, I am sure you will have another trick to prove I don't know everything and left laughing :giggler:
I thought the motorway speed limit for HGV s in UK had been 60 mph since the 80 s but hgvs were governed to 56mph under EU regs..Think trucks registered before 88 were excempt from legislation regarding speed limiters...Could have been wrong for years reading this.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back