Hero saves passengers in MH fire others took photos and video (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
There aren't many real heros on here. But there are many keyboard heroes, who have done nothing brave, but profess that they would. Hmmm

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Thanks for your post and hope your friends are well - it was reported 2 were seriously injured

and thanks for people like Akem
Cuts and bruises fortunately, they spent a good few hours in A and E, but were able to attend the meeting we were all at around 10 pm. We are currently in the process of sorting a fitting thank you to Akem who by the way disappeared without leaving any details, like heroes often do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There aren't many real heros on here. But there are many keyboard heroes, who have done nothing brave, but profess that they would. Hmmm
Don’t judge what you don’t know. There are people on here who have done some brave things but don’t talk about it and certainly don’t brag about it.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Don’t judge what you don’t know. There are people on here who have done some brave things but don’t talk about it and certainly don’t brag about it.
Please show me where I said there wasn't ?

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I'm reminded of a time in Hong Kong I was in a minibus full of Brits. We were travelling from the New Territories over the mountain toward Hong Kong Island. I noticed as we stopped to pick someone up that we were overtaken by a large truck painted pillar box red with big white letters everywhere saying in English and Chinese, DANGER EXPLOSIVES. I thought no more of it.

Our knackered old minibus climbed the winding roads of Tai Mo Shan mountain. As we went over the top we were presented with a series of acute bends, of the kind that delight Jeremy Clarkson. This ribbon of road snaked its way along the 3000 feet drop toward Hong Kong Island below.

Our minibus stopped urgently and I noticed running up the road was a Chinese man waving frantically and shouting. Looking down the road I could see that the explosives truck had not made the first sharp right hand bend, its brakes had failed and it had crashed into the rock the road was cut out of. The man got closer and louder and I leapt out, he was shouting the same sentence over and over in Cantonese waving what looked like an old shirt. I then noticed that a small fire had started under the front right wheel of the explosives truck, and the old guy screamed even louder and pointed at a fire extinguisher one of the lads now out of the minibus had picked up.

Rather than deal with the fire I thought I would contain the situation I sent two guys down across the steep countryside get to the road below and stop any vehicles coming up the mountain and getting close to the explosives. It was just about doable and they got there. I got our minibus driver to reverse out of the line of sight of the truck and we stopped traffic behind. The guy was still screaming in Cantonese over and over.

He had taken our fire extinguisher but rather than fight the fire he thrust it in my direction repeating the sentence over and over. It was then to my horror that I realised he must’ve meant that there was someone trapped in the explosives vehicle.

I looked around in dread; no one was going near the explosives, In a moment of utter stupidity I grab the extinguisher and run toward the red burning explosives truck, It was about three hundred yards away. In that short time I thought of dying and I thought of being a hero and getting a medal and I thought about just running away and I thought, why me? Its amazing how many thoughts you can have in a crisis. I ran faster, I could still hear the Chinese guy screaming. I reached the truck and straight away started fighting the fire it went out it quite easily as the extinguisher emptied, I then opened the cab there was no one there I quickly checked underneath and all around for a body. nothing.

I checked in the back, shouting is anyone in there, I could see a couple of freezer type objects which must of held the explosives, then I was aware that the fire was burning again, my extinguisher empty, I shouted again, is anybody in there. The tyre was really alight now and roaring. I decided to run, stupidly I decided to run up the hill back toward the minibus, no medals for me today I’d saved no one, not even the truck By the time I got to the top the truck cab and engine was burning well.

I couldn’t believe I’d risked my life for nothing there was no one there. I screamed at the old man, there was no one there. Very shortly afterwards emergency services arrived and the fire was properly extinguished, thankfully only the cab was damaged. The driver of the explosives wagon was questioned, so was I and I told my story about rushing down because I thought someone was there, I played it cool as heroes do. I asked the Police sergeant to ask the old boy what he was continually shouting at me. He called him over and asked him. The old boy told him and through a smile, the sergeant told me. He was continually shouting “Don’t worry there are no explosives inside” Hero to twerp in twenty minutes. :D
But you were brave because you didn't understand what he was saying.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
And I'm safer on track, than you are on the road. I've done 150 MPH about 30,000 times on track.
I used to ride horses, some pretty difficult & unpredictable ones at that and that activity is right up there on the dangerous sports list......I don't think I was being any more foolish than you were, I knew what I was doing, a risk yes, but I didn't think of it that way.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You never know how your going to react till you are tested. I never thought I would risk my life to save someone, till I did.......a few times.
Not a hero, just something you do when the need arises.
But regarding those who stood around filming, there will always be those that think of themselves first, no matter what happens, and it now seems the thing to become a “hero” on social media than in real life.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You never know how your going to react till you are tested. I never thought I would risk my life to save someone, till I did.......a few times.
Not a hero, just something you do when the need arises.
But regarding those who stood around filming, there will always be those that think of themselves first, no matter what happens, and it now seems the thing to become a “hero” on social media than in real life.
You are absolutely right there. We had a little crisis once called the first Gulf War. The buck stopped with me but it was simply doing a job getting 20 people safe. No more, no less.

However, I was a real hero and saved rangitira ’s life once in Danny’s bar* and stopped Antwerp from being flooded by inserting my finger in the dyke :whistle2:

* running joke between us

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Would be interesting to know if all the budding film directors were youngsters because it's the last thought that goes through my mind, is it a generation thing?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wasn't past the lee kum kee factory near the yacht harbour was it? The road to Sai Kung and further on to the horse race track

No it was on route Twisk I'm pretty sure it was the very first bend off the roads high point, headed South, but could have been a little further South

I'm guessing it was about here, but it was almost 40 years ago and I've drunk quite a few beers since then. :D

Route Twisk.png

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I've done 150 MPH about 30,000 times on track.

Thirty THOUSAND times around a track at 150mph... THIRTY THOUSAND?

Are you not BORED with this by now?

If that event took say, an hour to do each time, getting there, setting up, riding around... in days alone, continuously with no sleep or rest it would take 1250 days out of your life... That's 3.42 Years...

Come on!

?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back