LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Has anyone had any experience of a hernia op.

More specifically when or how long was it until you could drive again?

I still have to work so any ideas before you can do manual work as well would be handy.

T i A

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Depends where the hernia is, mine was in my groin and I was told to do no work for two months but as I have an automatic car I could drive after two weeks.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Depends where the hernia is, mine was in my groin and I was told to do no work for two months but as I have an automatic car I could drive after two weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Depends where the hernia is, mine was in my groin and I was told to do nothing for two months though as I have an automatic car I could drive after two weeks

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm having one done on Tuesday in my groin been waiting since February for it..... as I do manual labour it's been recommended 6-8 weeks off work, but I'm hoping I should be able to drive after the first two weeks.
It seems to vary person to person

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Apologies for the triple answer, dunno how I done that !!!!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, Mine was under my b/button and although I had retired the hospital told me 2/3 weeks rest and no heavy lifting ,unfortunately my leisure batteries died two days after my op so guess who had to change them, I couldn't ask anybody else and we wanted to go away over the Christmas period .I should not have done that age does not always bring wisdom .

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Hi Silver Fox, good to meet you at Newbury. I had a groin Hernia op years ago. As far as I recall, I was able to go home the same day. Recovery time was about 3 weeks. You most likely can return to light activity after 2 or 3 weeks. Strenuous exercise should wait until after 6 weeks. Think I drove after a couple of weeks

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I was ok to drive after a few days but avoided lifting for two months six months on still can feel the mesh at odd times, avoid tight underwear as it irritates the scar.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks for the replies.

Should of said it's a stomach hernia just right and above the belly button.

Looks like work will be put on hold for a bit which isn't so good on the money front but ahh well.

@Mr Chrysalis good to meet yourself and your wife also, sorry I'm rubbish at remembering names :(

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Was supposed to have my umbilical hernia op yesterday but had to put it on hold as off to south of France at end of the month. Didn't fancy driving all that way with a sore belly so just got to get back on the waiting list now. I'll watch this thread.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Han my belly button done on local anastheitic after a couple of days all ok

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Had tummy button hernia done came home hour or so after op. Played on bed because I felt crap I then got up and blood gushed everywhere. Taken back into local hospital and was stitched back together next morning and the didn't put me under this time. I also had to have a drain fitted as it had got infected in those short few hours.

I milked 7 weeks off work but I could have gone back after 2 easy. Take care first few days though and don't leave hospital until you feel ok.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I had two hernia repairs ( groin and umbilical) at the same time. The plan was for keyhole surgery but on waking up found that they had to open me up.
24 hours in hospital.
Took it easy for two weeks and then ( being self employed) back to work.
Tried to make sure I didnt strain myself but did have a few eye watering occasions if I inadvertently moved wrongly.
If circumstances were different I would have taken about six weeks off.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Mine was groin. Had to take it easy for a couple of weeks but far less disabling and uncomfortable than other ops I have had. The only surprise was the amount of bruising that spread around the area, not painful just colourful. Might be different for others.
Look on the bright side, you will have more time to share your wisdom on motorhomefun.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I wish I wasn't following this thread I'm having open surgery on a groin hernia on Tuesday.
I dislike hospitals as it is but complications I dont want.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Thanks for the replies.

Should of said it's a stomach hernia just right and above the belly button.

Looks like work will be put on hold for a bit which isn't so good on the money front but ahh well.

@Mr Chrysalis good to meet yourself and your wife also, sorry I'm rubbish at remembering names :(
Does this mean you are going private? They normally don't do them these days on the NHS as they say it cosmetic. With mine I kept saying it was painful so they are going to do it on the NHS.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
I wish I wasn't following this thread I'm having open surgery on a groin hernia on Tuesday.
I dislike hospitals as it is but complications I dont want.
If it's any consolation I had my operation done about 3 years ago no problems at all
just follow the advice you've been given regards lifting etc get a nice comfy chair and chill.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I had a Hernia operation and couldn't drive for 6 years till I passed my test but I was only 11 at the time.
images (3)_5.jpg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
This sort of thread a;lways raises the question why not ask the doctor as its different in every case!

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I had an inguinal hernia op with open surgery. Went in at 07:30 and back home by 13:30. Bit of discomfort, but recovered rapidly. Some weeks later we had two 110Ah leisure batteries delivered and the driver wouldn't bring them through the garden gate. I lifted them in and was back in hospital a week later. :cry: The consultant was most apologetic especially when I told him that Id had a coughing episode and he said that was what probably caused the hernia repair to rupture.:eek: ;). The repair was done keyhole through the belly button as he couldn't cut me again where he'd cut before.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Depends where the hernia is, mine was in my groin and I was told to do nothing for two months though as I have an automatic car I could drive after two weeks

So, you ignored the advise and had the op three times. :D2

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My best mate, a bar/club manager, ignored surgeons advice and went back to work after a week.
Ok until he started dragging beer barrels about.
He's back on the (long) waiting list !!!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'll be taking the full two months off, I'm just hoping buggering off in the van for a good portion of those two months isn't strenuous
I've also a week in gran canaria booked in October that I booked back in February

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Depressing the brake and clutch pedals can put strain on a new hernia repair - best to get your partner to drive for a while.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Depressing the brake and clutch pedals can put strain on a new hernia repair - best to get your partner to drive for a while.
That's the trouble with being single.... No partner to press pedals lol

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The one thing you're sure of, is you'll have Motorhomefun's support, once Old Mo's finished wearing it. :D

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Does this mean you are going private? They normally don't do them these days on the NHS as they say it cosmetic. With mine I kept saying it was painful so they are going to do it on the NHS.

Not private its on the NHS.
Have to say I've had it since i was a kid but its got worse over the past year or so.

Its kind of squidgy now when i press it back in :eek:

Its times like this you wish you worked for a bigger company and got sick pay and not be self employed.

But not to worry :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back