Here's a funny thing! (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
I replaced all of my Tyres on my Hymer due to cracking and also failing to stay up at the correct pressure. I changed from Michelins to Continental Camper tyres. I'm happy with the Continentals, but I am still having an issue with the Tyres losing pressure gradually. On my Hymer I have got Goldsmicht Alloys and I am wondering whether therein lies the problem. Does anyone think that the alloys may not be creating a perfect seal and therefore losing pressure over a couple of weeks? No issue really as I now have a new tyre inflator which inflates in minutes, but a bit of a b--- ache having to do this so regularly!

Any advice helpful, maybe this is normal with a heavy Motorhome sitting on the tyres. What does anyone think?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If there appears to be any pitting on your alloys either around the rim or on the spokes, it may be worth finding a quality restorer who will sort them for you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I replaced all of my Tyres on my Hymer due to cracking and also failing to stay up at the correct pressure. I changed from Michelins to Continental Camper tyres. I'm happy with the Continentals, but I am still having an issue with the Tyres losing pressure gradually. On my Hymer I have got Goldsmicht Alloys and I am wondering whether therein lies the problem. Does anyone think that the alloys may not be creating a perfect seal and therefore losing pressure over a couple of weeks? No issue really as I now have a new tyre inflator which inflates in minutes, but a bit of a b--- ache having to do this so regularly!

Any advice helpful, maybe this is normal with a heavy Motorhome sitting on the tyres. What does anyone think?
As Borderland says, alloys do tend to leak.... a lot ...
Most usual culprit is they are a little porous
Quick and dirty method is to inject some of that god awful anti-puncture crap.. not something I would recommend but it would work
Another answer would be to have the tyres filled with nitrogen
Nitrogen molecules are larger that those associated with normal air and tend not to leak.. Often used by bikers

But the correct answer is to have the tyres removed, the wheels carefully re-prep'd on the bead seats, and then sprayed with a ceramic coating

But chances are who ever fitted the tyres did a bit of a slipshod job of cleaning any and all corrosion on the bead seats

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Had this problem on my 2003 Seat Arosa, had them reseated with gunge a couple of times, didn't make much difference so had all 4 refurbished at great cost.. Couple of years later 2 of them start going down again. šŸ˜Ÿ
Got second hand steel wheels for it now and it's been alright since šŸ‘

OP
OP
Jugster
Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
Yes all valves renewed. Fitted by Kwik fit. Will try and get them reseated sometime. Not a real problem at the moment, just a bit anoying.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back