Here's a fantastic Pickled Onion recipe too ... (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Still use the old fashioned method. Salt them for 24 hrs, peel and salt again. Pack into jars with good malt vinegar and suitable spices (which usually involves dried chillis) seal and leave.

Just found some 3 year old ones in the garage together with some out of date cider and some damson vodka that is at least 5 years old. Still nice and crunchy (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've only eaten pickled onions when, well... pickled. But I like the idea of Harrisa paste. Bit more than just chucking them like the eggs into vinegar.

I bet a meal of these pickled eggs and onions could generate monumental wind!

Oh, sorry, those of a delicate nature should have looked away before now.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
So we have eaten a few over the last week............. I have to say they are the BEST I have ever tasted :D:D:D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just a tip if you want to have "instant" Pickle onions do them this way and there is no waiting time, although they will keep like normal P/Onions, I generally knock up a batch if we have a BBQ

We have a thing we bought a while ago, if you rub the onion over, it slices it in very thin slices, about a millimetre thick. Bung 'em in a jar, add whatever spices you wish, top up with Vinegar and they are ready to serve.
We use the same thin slices for BBQs , Hot Dogs etc etc, they cook very quickly so it's not a bother serving loads of people when cooking onions on a small cooking area, saving the larger areas for Meat/sliced potatoes/sweet potatoes/sweet Corn/w h y

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I finished the last of the pickled onions made with the recipe linked to by @Tootles a few days ago so I've just made another batch. This time for added heat I have added some halved habanero chillies to the jars, which are the little round chillies which look like small peppers. Will give them a try in a couple of weeks after the chillieness has had time to permeate them!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sounds nice. I love pickles, Martin hates them and the smell of them but I might do some for Christmas to put in the hampers for the family :)

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
We put fresh green chillies in our gives them a good kick mmm

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I made some really nice apricot, date and ginger chutney - which reminds me - two jars still left in the garage awaiting use.......

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds nice. I love pickles, Martin hates them and the smell of them but I might do some for Christmas to put in the hampers for the family :)
This recipe doesn't really taste or smell like traditional pickled onions and certainly not like the horrid little silver skin ones. It may be because it uses a better vinegar plus the other ingredients.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
This recipe doesn't really taste or smell like traditional pickled onions and certainly not like the horrid little silver skin ones. It may be because it uses a better vinegar plus the other ingredients.

Will try it when we get home as the onions are in season and cheap at the moment.

Next year I will grow my own again - been too much of a disrupted year to do that this year :)

Reactions: DBK

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hey @chockswahay, I like the sound of the harrissa but does cooking the onions not soften them ? If it doesn't crunch, I won't eat them.
Quite agree with the crunch bit. The rather elderly but still crisp ones that I had some months ago must have been down to decent vinegar and a lot of salting

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I finished the last of the pickled onions made with the recipe linked to by @Tootles a few days ago so I've just made another batch. This time for added heat I have added some halved habanero chillies to the jars, which are the little round chillies which look like small peppers. Will give them a try in a couple of weeks after the chillieness has had time to permeate them!

Just posting to say we've eaten the last of the pickled onions with chillies and will most certainly be making more this week. I used shallots instead of onions - very tasty!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Was anyone else's mouth watering as they were reading this thread? :)
Yep - got four jars of pickled shallots done a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait for them to be ready - they have extra Birdseye chilli in the vinegar so will have a bit of a :punch:......

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Piccalilli next on the list when I have finished redoing the bathroom

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My fault was not doing more before the previous batch ran out. A common trick of mine, I've just poured the last of my beer from the keg but my second keg is empty and won't be filled until a day or so then I'll have to wait for it to clear. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back