Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG
You will have heard this all before - when our lovely Tabs died earlier this year we said we wouldn't have another dog at our age. Then we said we must choose a dog smaller and slower than a collie..... Well, then we found Zac and fell in love. He's 9 years old (nobody has told him), has a renal insufficiency problem (his special diet is being supplied by the rehoming centre and appears to work) He is full of beans and loves to play.
Thank you Dumfries & Galloway Canine Rescue!
Here he is in the motorhome today for the long trip back to Shropshire and in the garden this evening

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
What a beautiful dog, well done you guys for taking on a rescue dog. Here's wishing you a long & very happy life together.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Thanks for the lovely replies - When he first went in the MH he was not terribly happy but well behaved. By the time we had driven all the way to Shropshire he seemed fine though.. We'll give him a couple of weeks to settle in at home then find a nice quiet campsite for his 1st overnighter - looking forward to getting to know him better.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but anybody out there had experience of a dog with kidney problems? The rescue organisation are covering his vets fees and the renal diet appears to have stopped him 'leaking' but we would be interested to hear about your experiences. Also, any recommendations for insurance for a gorgeous older dog like Zac?Again, this 'precondition' won't be covered but don't want to spend too much on the rest.
Thanks everyone!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Have look at animal friends insurance they make a donation to animal charities with every policy sold.
By the way beautiful dog you have rescued.

John.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
A friend of mine who was a boater found a dog tied up under the canal bridge in Hungerford. After making extensive enquiries at all of the local shops and no-one knowing anything he decided to take the dog onto his boat. He stayed in the area for a couple of days - I believe he notified the local police of his action - and still none of the local shops had heard anything about a "lost dog" so he kept the animal. He named it "Dog" and although he has sold his boat and lives "on the bank" he still has Dog and they are inseparable.

That is a dog rescue.

Dave

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Lovely, lucky boy :smiley:
We lost our beautiful collie Elmo a few weeks ago and are very much in the 'no more dogs' frame of mind. We still have Halle our little Yorkie and although it's strange to have only one dog and we miss our boy very much, we don't think it's fair on Halle to get another dog. She's 14 and still going strong but coping with another young dog at her age would be too much. So at the moment we have Halle to keep us from being tempted and our age. Your story, however, has got us thinking of all those older dogs who need a good home, so it won't happen anytime soon hopefully but one day well you never know :smiley:

Wishing you lots of fun and good times motorhoming with your new pal :smiley:

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
He looks gorgeous - good on you for rescuing him & well done to him for getting you!
Hope you have lots of fun and joy together :smiley:

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Lovely, lucky boy :smiley:
We lost our beautiful collie Elmo a few weeks ago and are very much in the 'no more dogs' frame of mind. We still have Halle our little Yorkie and although it's strange to have only one dog and we miss our boy very much, we don't think it's fair on Halle to get another dog. She's 14 and still going strong but coping with another young dog at her age would be too much. So at the moment we have Halle to keep us from being tempted and our age. Your story, however, has got us thinking of all those older dogs who need a good home, so it won't happen anytime soon hopefully but one day well you never know :smiley:

Wishing you lots of fun and good times motorhoming with your new pal :smiley:
Sorry to hear that, and I Know just what you mean, though Halle will at least save you from being reduced to making a fuss of other people's dogs as I was. You'll know if and when the time is right for another dog - good luck!

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Since 2017
Zac looks absolutely gorgeous, and I suspect has fallen on all four paws with you. Many, many congrats to you for taking on a rescue boy, especially an older one with a health issue.

Re: him being nervous; I don't know if you are able to store your m/h at home? We also have a rescue girl who was a scared as could be when she came to us and clearly not used to cars, and I didn't want her to be scared in the caravan. Every day I took a cuppa into the new van and sat for a while and she came too as the lure of a couple of favourite biscuits was too much to resist.

Now, as soon as I open the caravan door, she barges in ahead of me . . .

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
image.jpeg
Thank you, how anyone could have parted with such a fantastic dog as Zac I don't know! Any signs of nervousness are disappearing rapidly. True he will still be on his best behaviour yet, but his only vice so far is he is a bit strong on the lead - soon cure that with a halti harness & a bit of training. Oh, and the cold nose in my ear at 6.0 am. After just 4 days the MH is turning into a very expensive kennel and a daily short drive in my car to go for a walk by the river is working to cure him of his dislike of cars. He was brilliant with our daughter, responding well to her signs and attempts at his name, and here he is today after a hard day's playing with the grandchildren.
Again, thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Since 2017
[ daily short drive in my car to go for a walk by the river is working to cure him of his dislike of cars.
Again, thanks everyone for your kind comments.

I did exactly the same with Daisy, only her fear of cars was such that for the first couple of weeks all we could manage was to put her in the car, move off the drive onto the road, and get out. Once we could manage 20 yards we progressed to half a mile down the road to a river ....

If I could get her to raise a sleepy head from the comfy bed in front of the woodburner I am sure she would send snuffles and licks to Zac

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Can't say any more than has already been said. Well done and how lucky for you both to have found each other. I can see a lot of reciprocated love coming up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back