Here we go again. Microsoft trying to force you to upgrade your computer. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Would a USB SSD external backup drive be a viable alternative If I went down the Mac route?
I am not a Mac person so can only go on what I have heard. The Thunderbolt 4 ports are very high speed so you should make sure what ever external enclosure you buy for your external storage supports this.
However with limited ports, I would be tempted to look at a NAS if the budget would allow it. You can then set up time machine for your backups, and this external NAS could be used across all your household system not just the USB/Thunderbolt connected external drive.

With an external NAS you also have options such as media streaming to your TV other computers, tablets and phones.

All down to budget.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just checked my 2 year old tower and my MSI motherboard has a TPM header somewhere, as to where or what it looks like??

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I am not a Mac person so can only go on what I have heard. The Thunderbolt 4 ports are very high speed so you should make sure what ever external enclosure you buy for your external storage supports this.
However with limited ports, I would be tempted to look at a NAS if the budget would allow it. You can then set up time machine for your backups, and this external NAS could be used across all your household system not just the USB/Thunderbolt connected external drive.

With an external NAS you also have options such as media streaming to your TV other computers, tablets and phones.

All down to budget.
I’d quite forgotten the NAS idea. Far, far better. Thank you!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Downloaded the manual and all becomes clear, a search on google and I can buy one for £57. Think I will give it a miss at the moment and see how Win 11 pans on reviews next year.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes I have a 3600. Just checked and yes it supports TPM V1.2... So I could run window 11 if I wanted (I don't).
Yip, I knew it was a moot point anyway for you! :Smile:
I had threatened to dump Windows (son has) when 10 came along but given I got a free upgrade from 7 I went along with it to try it and never got around to dumping yet. Given the impending advent of 11 this might be the final countdown to fully Mint!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I got rid of Windows a few years ago.

Have a very old desk-top that still chugs along on Linux and is used frequently for certain tasks.

But more recently, have become something of a fan of Chromebooks. Bought a small super lightweight 11" touch-screen one about three years ago and very pleased with it. So Mrs mikebeaches bought an almost identical model. No need to worry about installing or updating antivirus software. ;)

However, I was a bit surprised to see a message pop on mine a couple of weeks ago saying 'this is the last update for your machine, for future updates, please get a new one, or words to that effect! So perhaps, much like Microsoft in that respect. :(

Although a bit peeved, I was ready for something with a little more power and a bigger screen, so have just purchased an HP 14" touch-screen model and very pleased with it so far. And the old machine still works fine too... for the moment. :giggle:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
However, I was a bit surprised to see a message pop on mine a couple of weeks ago saying 'this is the last update for your machine, for future updates, please get a new one, or words to that effect! So perhaps, much like Microsoft in that respect. :(
It's one thing the proponents of Chromebooks fail to divulge \ notice is that the hardware is only supported for 6 and a half years and that's from the original release date not the manufactured date!
So, buy a model that's based on a Chrome version that's, say, three years old and support stops in 3 1/2 years. Budget models are particularly at risk as they tend to be based on older versions. Folk tend to buy Chromebooks because of the initial purchase cost so a lot of them have been caught out.
Think it's only in the last year or two that the lifespan was increased from 5 years.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
OS News
For most, Windows Vista was the OS to skip.
Windows 10 continues to be good for my applications. YMMV. But I’ve studied MS OS on certified training so I hope I’m comfortable with there varients. Luckily (IMO) I’ve only had to work with Apple Mac when clients have issues with my employers’ applications.
Linux is OK as the host OS of my employers’ products but, for me, not a leisure or home choice.

Slow to start
Surprised someone mentioned Windows’ slow to start. If my >5yo desktop and last few Windows 10 work laptops were any faster starting I wouldn’t be ready! 😳
All are “power on” to application usable in approx. 20s.

TPM & Win 11
And what’s the current concern on TPM needs?
And how ready have the computer hardware makers got with their Windows 11 preparation?
A bit lower and further on than we thought earlier?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
OS News
For most, Windows Vista was the OS to skip.
Windows 10 continues to be good for my applications. YMMV. But I’ve studied MS OS on certified training so I hope I’m comfortable with there varients. Luckily (IMO) I’ve only had to work with Apple Mac when clients have issues with my employers’ applications.
Linux is OK as the host OS of my employers’ products but, for me, not a leisure or home choice.

Slow to start
Surprised someone mentioned Windows’ slow to start. If my >5yo desktop and last few Windows 10 work laptops were any faster starting I wouldn’t be ready! 😳
All are “power on” to application usable in approx. 20s.

TPM & Win 11
And what’s the current concern on TPM needs?
And how ready have the computer hardware makers got with their Windows 11 preparation?
A bit lower and further on than we thought earlier?
Yes, I've got a Google Pixel 2 phone - which is good, especially the camera - but the updates have finished on that too... :(

But I still like the fast and easy to use software on the Chromebook (and phone).

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I got rid of Windows a few years ago.

Have a very old desk-top that still chugs along on Linux and is used frequently for certain tasks.

But more recently, have become something of a fan of Chromebooks. Bought a small super lightweight 11" touch-screen one about three years ago and very pleased with it. So Mrs mikebeaches bought an almost identical model. No need to worry about installing or updating antivirus software. ;)

Although a bit peeved, I was ready for something with a little more power and a bigger screen, so have just purchased an HP 14" touch-screen model and very pleased with it so far. And the old machine still works fine too... for the moment. :giggle:

Chrome OS is running on Linux :giggler:. Just without the update paths and a lot of the good software :p

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have just checked and my 2012 Gigabit mother board has one. Result!!!
What version though.

MS has just clarified that currently they recommend v2 (2019) but base level for now is v1.2 (2011).

If you are lucky you may just have a v1.2 slot? I don't think any CPU's back then natively supported TPM although I may be wrong.

Also getting a TPM module for a 2012 motherboard may not be as easy as getting one for the later motherboards. Pinouts have changed it seems.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What version though.

MS has just clarified that currently they recommend v2 (2019) but base level for now is v1.2 (2011).

If you are lucky you may just have a v1.2 slot? I don't think any CPU's back then natively supported TPM although I may be wrong.

Also getting a TPM module for a 2012 motherboard may not be as easy as getting one for the later motherboards. Pinouts have changed it seems.

Oh dear.
You'll know better than me but it's a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3. Motherboard with the i7 cpu

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Oh dear.
You'll know better than me but it's a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3. Motherboard with the i7 cpu
The i7 may be too old and when I wondered how intel and TPM a were connected wasn’t developed but a check on Win11 compatibility seems to involve seeing what the CPU can do: info on that check here.

I’m not close enough to upgrading my OS to know more about the alarm over an OS developer making what’s been an optional security option for some time be required, but there does seem to be more written about a motherboard TPM part than code in the CPU.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Oh dear.
Had a quick look around for you. Can't find any TPM modules compatible with X79 motherboards, only X99-X299.

Not spent too much time looking but I suspect Gigabyte no longer manufacture them as X79 is no longer an active chipset offered by Intel so no new motherboards being sold with it?

You may find one on the second hand market though, but I suspect you probably won't.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Had a quick look around for you. Can't find any TPM modules compatible with X79 motherboards, only X99-X299.

Not spent too much time looking but I suspect Gigabyte no longer manufacture them as X79 is no longer an active chipset offered by Intel so no new motherboards being sold with it?

You may find one on the second hand market though, but I suspect you probably won't.

Just found this

Broken Link Removed

Will this do it?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Just found this

Broken Link Removed

Will this do it?
Looks like a “no”.
I think that is for the series after the x79 and higher. That’s from this information at the link: -

The GC-TPM 2.0 is compatible with GIGABYTE motherboards of that include a TPM header on below:
Intel platform: 200-series, 100-series, 8-series* , 9-series & X99 series
AMD platform: AM4, FM2 series
* To support GIGABYTE GC-TPM 2.0 needs to update the latest BIOS.
* Support for Windows 7 64-bits, Windows 8.1 32/64-bits, Windows 10 64-bit

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just found this

Broken Link Removed

Will this do it?
That is the one I saw. The give away is this;

Intel platform: 200-series, 100-series, 8-series* , 9-series & X99 series

Your CPU is an X79 series and is not mentioned. I would therefore suspect it doesn't cover it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like a “no”.
I think that is for the series after the x79 and higher. That’s from this information at the link: -
Nice one. I opened this thread in a tab, then got called away. Came back and replied then saw your reponse had beaten me to it :p

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
For those suffering with linux or old machines google puppylinux , easily run off a usb stick. Currently using slacko 7

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back