Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy Girl, you’ve given us food for thought!
We’ve just looked at crates and one would work, never used a crate before for any of our dogs but everyone seems to think they are a good idea. We would probably only use it at night as in the day either both or one of us is always here!
I‘ve got two litters to look at, two pups and mum-one boy, one girl ready to go now.
Other litter is 5 pups not ready until later this month.
Still not sure wether we want a boy or girl, always had girls!
We hadn't used crates much in the past as we adopted slightly older dogs but our first use was with Lily who was 4 months old (she's nearly 14 now) who wasn't trained at all, she didn't like at first however she soon learned the 'house rules' so it wasn't needed for very long.

Minky is the youngest one we've had for a long time being only 12 weeks when we got her, originally we started off with a large tall plastic see-through crate/storage box in the bedroom but the little madam soon learned how to climb out of it so a metal cage was picked up at a car boot for a few quid. We left it in the lounge with the door open and fed her in it for a few days to get her used to it then used it in the bedroom instead of the plastic box.

We take it away in the MH (only used when not travelling) and she's quite happy in it, either during the day or night, and we know that she's safe if we go out shopping etc. If she gets a bit manic/hyper - tearing round the place like a whirling dervish and/or thoroughly terrorising Tazzy - she'll occasionally go in it, not as a punishment, but just to calm her down as she knows it's 'quiet time' when she's in it so doesn't protest. The pop-up playpen was a good purchase as it meant in the early days on holiday we could use it outside so she could have a bit of fresh air in safety whilst waiting for her vac 'isolation' period to pass, we still have it up in the lounge and will take it away on holiday again as although she doesn't need the protection now she absolutely loves it especially when we play 'toss the hedgehog' (stuffed fluffy one!), throwing it in through the un-zipped top and she dives in through the door to retrieve it ... occasionally she forgets where the door is and 'bounces' off the mesh! :giggle: She's just gone in it and retrieved on one of her 'hidden treasures' ... a dog chew she'd obviously secreted away away from the others!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say, if there is a possibility that you will need to leave a pup unsupervised in a crate make sure you get either a good quality plastic one which would be difficult to chew (some cheaper ones are made of softer plastic and could cause choking if they are able to get bits off) or get a metal wire one which is what we have that folds down flat/small so can be easily stored when not needed. Fabric ones are okay but they can get out of them ... some even work out how to open the zips!

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have a friend in France so will try for an EU Passport otherwise it could get expensive, maybe things will settle a bit it’s early days yet!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Yes will got for a metal one not going to mess about with plastic not with those sharp teeth!
Next thing, do we have a dog or a bitch? Either will be neutered, always had bitches before!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes will got for a metal one not going to mess about with plastic not with those sharp teeth!
Next thing, do we have a dog or a bitch? Either will be neutered, always had bitches before!
We've only had one male and he was lovely but I have to say I prefer bitches for one very 'practical' reason ... they don't usually want to wee on everything as they pass by! :giggle:

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Yes we/I have always had bitches, nicer to cuddle too!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes we/I have always had bitches, nicer to cuddle too!
... and you don't get 'damp marks' on your clothes when you do as you can with boys!

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Think this is the one. Mum is a bit leggy for a JRT & dad is hairy so it may end up broken coated.
I’ve got this photo and two vids of all the pups and mum playing in the field. I don’t think this is a puppy farm puppy! Yes it lives on a farm but not farmed!

B6D5FEE6-79DE-4635-BE61-A12B2ACA1A99.jpeg
8D597BE2-C7B3-4710-8451-11BE9A52E1CD.jpeg

In one vid it’s obvious the pup knows which pocket the treats are in!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Definitely dodgy.

Ask for a Kennel Club Registration.

Geoff
Fair point & this breeder is certainly dodgy, but equally I wouldn't have a KC registered puppy if it came free with a box of cornflakes, they actively encourage inbreeding & the results are a bunch of mutants which in no way resemble the breed they began with.
Cherry eye in poor spaniels, hip dysplasia in shepherds & so many breeds of dogs which simply cannot breath, thats cruelty on a scale that is frightening.
In all my years as a paramedic the one thing that always looked horrible wasn't nasty injuries, it was the inability to breath, how scary is that yet people buy french bulldogs etc with glee.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Think this is the one. Mum is a bit leggy for a JRT & dad is hairy so it may end up broken coated.
Lovely looking pup as is the Mum who looks like a JRT/Chi cross as she is very, very similar to our Minky with long legs and a narrow face like that.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Same as a baby, beautiful at the start,,but some turn out like the devils advocate,,, :LOL:

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Ok, now what do I call her?
Patti is my favourite at mo…..it was my godmothers name (Patricia)
Kate/Katie.
Or just plain Pest….;)
I’m sure something will pop up when I meet her on Saturday, this Friday she has her last vacc and then the owner wants to keep her another week so she will be 9-10 weeks old when I get her!
The owner has 2 other people interested but she doesn’t like them-wants her puppies to go to a country home rather than town, I sent her a pic of my Gina and she’s more than happy to wait for me on Saturday!

Jan 25, 2018
Leicester, England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We hadn't used crates much in the past as we adopted slightly older dogs but our first use was with Lily who was 4 months old (she's nearly 14 now) who wasn't trained at all, she didn't like at first however she soon learned the 'house rules' so it wasn't needed for very long.

Minky is the youngest one we've had for a long time being only 12 weeks when we got her, originally we started off with a large tall plastic see-through crate/storage box in the bedroom but the little madam soon learned how to climb out of it so a metal cage was picked up at a car boot for a few quid. We left it in the lounge with the door open and fed her in it for a few days to get her used to it then used it in the bedroom instead of the plastic box.

We take it away in the MH (only used when not travelling) and she's quite happy in it, either during the day or night, and we know that she's safe if we go out shopping etc. If she gets a bit manic/hyper - tearing round the place like a whirling dervish and/or thoroughly terrorising Tazzy - she'll occasionally go in it, not as a punishment, but just to calm her down as she knows it's 'quiet time' when she's in it so doesn't protest. The pop-up playpen was a good purchase as it meant in the early days on holiday we could use it outside so she could have a bit of fresh air in safety whilst waiting for her vac 'isolation' period to pass, we still have it up in the lounge and will take it away on holiday again as although she doesn't need the protection now she absolutely loves it especially when we play 'toss the hedgehog' (stuffed fluffy one!), throwing it in through the un-zipped top and she dives in through the door to retrieve it ... occasionally she forgets where the door is and 'bounces' off the mesh! :giggle: She's just gone in it and retrieved on one of her 'hidden treasures' ... a dog chew she'd obviously secreted away away from the others!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Kate/Katie.
Or just plain Pest….;)
I’m sure something will pop up when I meet her on Saturday, this Friday she has her last vacc and then the owner wants to keep her another week so she will be 9-10 weeks old when I get her!
The owner has 2 other people interested but she doesn’t like them-wants her puppies to go to a country home rather than town, I sent her a pic of my Gina and she’s more than happy to wait for me on Saturday!
Don't ask me ... it took us yonks to finally settle on Minky! :giggle:

Broken Link Removed

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
Kate/Katie.
Or just plain Pest….;)
I would be wary that they are saying that she is having her last vacc on friday and that she will be 9-10 weeks old , the vets won't vaccinate until they are a minimum of 8 weeks as pups have a natural immune system from the mother till they are 8 weeks old which will interfere with the 1st vacc if given under 8 weeks old. 1st vacc 8 weeks so 2nd vacc given 2 weeks later 10 weeks old , so if they are keeping pup for another week that would make it 11 weeks old when you get her, why would they keep her another week? something don't sound right to me .
Silvia

Silvia

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Pip… quite like that! Short, to the point and a hard consonant!

I would be wary that they are saying that she is having her last vacc on friday and that she will be 9-10 weeks old , the vets won't vaccinate until they are a minimum of 8 weeks as pups have a natural immune system from the mother till they are 8 weeks old which will interfere with the 1st vacc if given under 8 weeks old. 1st vacc 8 weeks so 2nd vacc given 2 weeks later 10 weeks old , so if they are keeping pup for another week that would make it 11 weeks old when you get her, why would they keep her another week? something don't sound right to me .
Silvia

Silvia
I’ve spoken to her on the phone she has sent extra photo and videos of all the pups and mum playing. All of them are confident pups, outgoing clean and look very health, can’t see a problem. Am going to see them on Saturday so that should sort any niggles. She doesn’t want her pups going anywhere she doesn’t want them to, I appreciated the concern but I’m fairly sure these pups are genuine, if not i will find out on Sat!
Just lifted this off the RSPCA site, quote-
“Puppies are typically vaccinated at eight and ten weeks (although they can be vaccinated as early as four-six weeks of age) with the second dose usually being given two to four weeks later. Speak to your vet about the best timings.”
What about the hundreds of puppies that go to their new home far too early and with no vacc at all!?

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
Not seen that but seems far to early as mothers immunity is most likley to still be present and maybe up to 16 weeks
Unless its the odd litter who may not have received any mothers milk for some reason especially colostrum
Parvo is given earlier if theres a high risk in the area !

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Talk to the hand, the face ain’t listening!
Sorry but I’ve spent 18 months mourning the loss of my beautiful Gina, and I’ve spent about 8 months trying to find a dog to adopt-charities don’t want to know!
Now after 6 weeks I have finally found a decent looking pup that I’m going to LOOK at on Saturday, IF it’s ok and the right one I shan’t hesitate!
I have had dogs and worked with animals all my life I think I can spot a dodgy/sick animal by now!
Please don’t rain on my parade as you know nothing of my circumstances, you haven’t seen the videos I’ve been sent, you haven’t talked to the owner, in fact you know nothing about me or my lifestyle!

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
Wow your so rude! I haven't said anything about the pup being sick or ill, or your life style which is totally irrelevant, I don't care about your lifestyle, You have missed the point completely, from what you posted earlier you or the breeder don't even seem to know how old the puppies are! that says it all. Good luck :giggle:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Talk to the hand, the face ain’t listening!
Sorry but I’ve spent 18 months mourning the loss of my beautiful Gina, and I’ve spent about 8 months trying to find a dog to adopt-charities don’t want to know!
Now after 6 weeks I have finally found a decent looking pup that I’m going to LOOK at on Saturday, IF it’s ok and the right one I shan’t hesitate!
I have had dogs and worked with animals all my life I think I can spot a dodgy/sick animal by now!
Please don’t rain on my parade as you know nothing of my circumstances, you haven’t seen the videos I’ve been sent, you haven’t talked to the owner, in fact you know nothing about me or my lifestyle!
Enjoy your pup and hope all goes well on Saturday x.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Fair point & this breeder is certainly dodgy, but equally I wouldn't have a KC registered puppy if it came free with a box of cornflakes, they actively encourage inbreeding & the results are a bunch of mutants which in no way resemble the breed they began with.
Cherry eye in poor spaniels, hip dysplasia in shepherds & so many breeds of dogs which simply cannot breath, thats cruelty on a scale that is frightening.
In all my years as a paramedic the one thing that always looked horrible wasn't nasty injuries, it was the inability to breath, how scary is that yet people buy french bulldogs etc with glee.
Two french bulldogs and a pug.
Only time they breathe heavily is when it’s exceptionally hot.
Being responsible I don’t take them out then.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Lovely looking pup as is the Mum who looks like a JRT/Chi cross as she is very, very similar to our Minky with long legs and a narrow face like that.
As per the above, I've just taken this snap of Minky on the back of the sofa ... definitely an itsy bitsy mini German Shepherd ... I've been done! :giggle:

Minky on couch.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ok sorted now!
Love the look of your pup MinxyGirl, so what if she’s a itsy-bitsy GSD at least she will keep you safe!
Doesn't matter to me what she looks like, she'd lovely and I wouldn't part with her ... well maybe when she's pretending she's a zombie and wants to eat me! :LOL:

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Thinking on a name.
It will depend on her character but Pip, Pippa, Patti.
Hubby came up with Poppet.
our surname is Payne!!!
Payne’s Poppet.?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
One thing that we always do when naming it to think what the shortened/common name will be, eg Poppet is likely to become Pop or even Poppy ... saying that we did have one dog named Pootle and yes she was usually called Poo however this somehow changed into Spud when my hubby had to call her, where he got that name from I haven't a clue! :LOL:

We also had another dog called Kizzie but as she looked like a piglet when young she was always called Piggy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back