Here’s a question! (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Can I use the small solar panel I use to keep my car battery charged when we’re away, to keep the 24 volt starter battery charged, when in storage? Obviously the starter and hab batteries are not connected in any way and so the existing solar panels don’t help.
Thanks in anticipation.
Richard

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Can I use the small solar panel I use to keep my car battery charged when we’re away, to keep the 24 volt starter battery charged, when in storage? Obviously the starter and hab batteries are not connected in any way and so the existing solar panels don’t help.
Thanks in anticipation.
Richard
Get a B2B module from cak tanks... REALLY easy to wire ( 1 earth, 1 live to hab +ve, 1 live to cab +ve

About £30
When the hab batteries reach charge what left gets leached off to the cab battery..
Or you could spend a bit ( ! ) more and get a small solar panel and cheapo controller for it..
Do not bother with anything less than a 20w one though !

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thanks in anticipation.
Richard
No it will be a 19v panel if you use it for the car battery. You'd need a higher voltage one to charge a 24v battery..

Or you could buy another one exactly the same and wire them in series ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Get a B2B module from cak tanks... REALLY easy to wire ( 1 earth, 1 live to hab +ve, 1 live to cab +ve

About £30
When the hab batteries reach charge what left gets leached off to the cab battery..
Or you could spend a bit ( ! ) more and get a small solar panel and cheapo controller for it..
I think you mean battery master and NO it won’t do it 12v to 24v won’t go.

Martin

OP
OP
Richard Birkett
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006

About £30
Thanks Jaws but I don’t think that will work seeing as how they are different voltages but I am considering fitting a sterling 12/24 battery maintainer, which does the same thing.
Richard

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
If its a 24 volt system, as in big trucks, you will need a seperate system from your Hab set up which I am assuming is 12 volt.

The only way you can really do it simply is by using a 24 volt solar set up.

2x 19 volt panels wired in series to a suitable 24 volt solar charger connected to the starter battery and access to daylight if in storage.

OP
OP
Richard Birkett
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
If its a 24 volt system, as in big trucks, you will need a seperate system from your Hab set up which I am assuming is 12 volt.

The only way you can really do it simply is by using a 24 volt solar set up.

2x 19 volt panels wired in series to a suitable 24 volt solar charger connected to the starter battery and access to daylight if in storage.
Thanks Camping Gaza. Your assumptions are correct and thanks for the technical solution.
Richard

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Do you have a 24v battery? Or is it two 12v batteries?

I would have thought if two 12v batteries then you can connect it to one so that will help with starting?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks Jaws but I don’t think that will work seeing as how they are different voltages but I am considering fitting a sterling 12/24 battery maintainer, which does the same thing.
Richard
Sorry yes you are right.. teach me not to read the OP properly !!!

OP
OP
Richard Birkett
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Do you have a 24v battery? Or is it two 12v batteries?

I would have thought if two 12v batteries then you can connect it to one so that will help with starting?

Landy Andy, it’s 2 no 12 volt batteries. I have purchased a Sterling Battery Maintainer which will utilise the 320 watts of fixed solar.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Richard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back