HeoSafe Deadlocks and Proplates (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I’ve ordered a proplate from the same website just the one as I believe you only need to do the doors with a key point (I do believe you can get them for the back doors) and I’m also thinking of getting the heosafe locks to.
Any door that has a handle keyed or not can be opened with the screw driver method or as we recovery folk prefer a slim jim between the glass and rubber window seal we and the thieves aim for the rods that connect to the interior handles
dont forget windows and all sky lights, and remember you are only locking plastic windows
But throw all the money you like at it as its only you that has to feel comfortable.

May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
For years I've been wondering what is the case with these proplates and equals, maybe someone here can fill me in on this? Until now I always thougt that if you fit something below the handle and hit it inside the door between the plastic and the door the central locking will click open on all doors, but now I'm seeing stuff about the cabling in the door. What?

And what difference does the factory deadlocking make? Before the next eurotrip I was going to do something about this but seems the trip will be on another van and it will have the deadlocking, so now I'm hoping to understand what's the deal and will I need it.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The exploit involves moving the actuating arm on the lock cylinder via a small blade pushed into the door between the door skin and the bottom of the handle. Pro plates prevent this by shielding the door skin around the handle, preventing it from being deformed as easily, and the better ones also include a steel shield fitted inside the door that further encloses the actuating arm on the lock.

The two door handles without key locks don't have actuating arms, but the unlocking mechanisms are still activated by bowden cables, and if a thief is able to locate and apply tension to the cable that can also actuate the lock, although admittedly it is not as easy.

Factory deadlocks isolate the internal handle mechanisms from the locking motors, preventing the doors being opened from the internal handles, e.g. by breaking a window. But the deadlocks can be deactivated by using the vehicle key in the lock (or the driver might not be able to open the door without a remote fob, e.g. if the fob battery goes flat or using the mechanical secondary key) which unlocks the door by moving the same actuating arm attached to the lock cylinder that the blade exploit targets. So deadlocks can also be disabled by the external lock vulnerability unless prevented by fitting proplates, because manipulating the actuating lever mimics the action of the key.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
HeoSafe deadlocks are an after market deadlock that is fitted entirely separately with its own keys and there is no access to them from outside. They are for locking from the inside to prevent either the cab or passenger doors being opened with the main tab door being used as the last departure point on exiting the vehicle and obviously for night time security.

May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
I've been thinking of something like this (for a Ducato based van conversion):

Get the Ducato with factory deadlock system
Install Heosafe for driver's door (minimum)
A separate remote that disables the central locking (by 'disconnecting the central locking fuse' for example)

Now, lock the driver door heosafe. Get out from some other door. Lock the doors with Ducato remote (deadlocking). Disable the central locking with the separate remote.

If I understand correctly, the central locking doesn't now open any doors no matter how you beat up the driver's door. And if you open the door lock with violence the central locking still doesn't open the doors and the heosafe prevents opening of the driver's door. And even if someone would go through a window he couldn't get the doors open because of the Fiat deadlock. Maybe even an alarm system on top of everything and one would need balls of steel to clean the car.

Would this work like I think?

In case the extra-remote would fail, there might be a hidden switch (somewhere very hard to get to as there sould not be any use for it anyway) to enable the central locking.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Seems a bit complicated. If they want in , break window climb in and then open the sliding door. Mine opens from the inside with the deadlocks on.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Seems a bit complicated. If they want in , break window climb in and then open the sliding door. Mine opens from the inside with the deadlocks on.
A deadlock that opens is hardly a deadlock if you think about it!

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Maybe not deadlocks then?? It seems to double lock if I press the reomte twice though.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have deadlock's on the Fiat Front doors, The Strikeback Growler System also arms itself, the Blue LED's flash all round the van showing the Van is alarmed, but I will still fit the Proplate on the drivers door,(when I get round to it) even with the Fiat upgrade to the lock internals, as I want it to be obvious that the small screwdriver to puncture the door skin under the lock handle will not work.

Fitting the Hoesafe deadlocks inside the van is also a great idea as they look so neat, but it was brought to my attention from one funster that he had fitted them to protect from entry while they were in the van. To be honest, thats not an angle I had considered, but we do have a panic alarm button on the Growler Alarm, which can be set to turn off the internal sensors and disarm the internal sounders, but so far I am reluctant to use it just in case I forget to disarm in the morning and open the hab door.:eek::eek::eek:I dont wake up until the second morning coffee.;)
I Know, I know,! I should set the alarm when going to bed, we are just asking to be gassed!
LES

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Is there really a massive problem with robbers trying to get in a motorhome - especially when it has people in it.
We spend at least 100 day's and night's away in the van, never on campsites and in many remote locations.
Never had a problem or even heard of any one else having breakins. ------ Except for the gassing of course

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Is there really a massive problem with robbers trying to get in a motorhome - especially when it has people in it.
We spend at least 100 day's and night's away in the van, never on campsites and in many remote locations.
Never had a problem or even heard of any one else having breakins. ------ Except for the gassing of course
I believe the gassing is still only a problem in some areas, where thieves now solely target motorhomers with valuable watches and jewellery which is insured.
More sinister are the thieves who now gas you, enter the van and steal your valuables - but replace them with exact replicas. Apparently you can wake up and never even know you have been robbed. How incredible is that?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back