help!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

joanie

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
donegal,ireland
Funster No
Exp
three years,on and off
hi all,can anyone help me?my pal who lives near me hasent got a landline and asked me if he could connect to my broadband,i let him and it dosent have anything with my laptop,thats okay,but my broadband is very slow, could this be the problem? i dont want to offend him by stopping the connection untill i know,wish i knew more about it all but i dont so i know you guys will put me right,:Doh::Blush:::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
It could be, he may be downloading big files, music, anything, that will eat up your bandwidith.
Does anyone know how they stand if the other person is downloading illegal material?

Personally, I would disconnect him, fix the IP addresses to your MAC address and reduce the number of ports available on your router. If its only you in your home, then I would restrict it and lock it down.

If its not 'big downloads' it may be a good thing to check your connection speed here Broadband Speed Checker - THE UK's No.1 Broadband Speed Test

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
It most certainly could be the problem. If your neighbour is using it heavily then that will affect your use.

Remember, your available speed/bandwidth is shared between you, so if your neighbour is downloading heavily then your speed could be very low.

HTH
Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Tell your pal to get a mobile broadband dongle they cost about £10 per month. If your happy to have him share your connection on the landline id be holding out my hand for 1/2 of the cost every month. Why should you be paying for their broadband connection???

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am with BT and they now charge me if I use more than 5gb per month.

You are paying for him to use your connection:Doh:.

Tell him to get a 3 dongle or stop using yours and get a landline of his own.

OP
OP
joanie

joanie

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
donegal,ireland
Funster No
Exp
three years,on and off
thankyou

thanks so much guys for your help.will take your advice and stop it,i just needed to know if my fears were grounded,he is paying half but seems he is getting more out of it than i am,another lesson learned,once again thanks a million.:thumb::winky::Blush: joanie.xx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
hi all,can anyone help me?my pal who lives near me hasent got a landline and asked me if he could connect to my broadband,i let him and it dosent have anything with my laptop,thats okay,but my broadband is very slow, could this be the problem?
Uh?????:Wacko:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back