Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Our son has just (or is in the process of) purchasing a LWB Transit PVC (self conversion). He is having problems with insurance. Has anyone any ideas? There are 2 problems one is that he only passed his test (1st time age 27) last week. The second is the conversion. Does anyone have any suggestions for an insurance company who will offer a realistic quotoation?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try the one in the ad below your post....

Link Removed

or

Adrian Flux

his biggest problem will be a lack of no claims bonus.....that will make the insurance up to 70% more expensive.

i would say he can realisticly expect upwards of £1200

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for your replies. So far Adrian Flux is coming out top but at over a grand its horrific! We are going to explore the van and insurance being in my/our name with Neil as a named driver - but it may not work as he does not live at home.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Named driver does not have to live at home - it could be that you want him to drive as a 'relief' driver. Makes no odds.

Direct line may be able to give NCB to named drivers. You will HAVE to insure as a commercial vehicle BEFORE/DURING conversion as they cannot insure a vehicle as a campervan, when in effect it isn't until fully converted.

One other thought...WEIGHTS. If this van hits, or is capable of weights of over 3.5t - he won't be able to drive it! KEEP AN EYE ON THIS WHEN BUILDING! Using the old kitchen cupboards may be cheaper, but heavier. Speeds are 10mph less in vans.
People get quite up tight with their insurers about this - but be fair, it isn't a camper YET so why describe it as one. Just insure as VAN, and when it is converted, re-register as a campervan and let your insurers know. Have certificates ready from gas fitters to prove gas has been fitted or inspected by a gas safe fitter, same with electrics. They will be fine with it.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
... and don't forget if he should have to make a claim, it could affect your own insurance too as often the question on renewal is 'Have you had any claims or accidents on a policy over the last twelve months'? It makes no difference if you were driving .. the vehicle was owned by you and you made the claim.

Also, watch the wording 'Are you the main driver?'

A thousand pounds may be a lot but I decided it was worth it for my daughter to start to build up her own no claims discount and for the peace of mind that I would not suffer financially on my insurance because of any accident or theft she may incur.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back