Help (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
New to the Forum whick question i have a Bessacarr M/H 08 Based on the Fiat D How easy is it to do a oil change:Sad:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
New to the Forum whick question i have a Bessacarr M/H 08 Based on the Fiat D How easy is it to do a oil change:Sad:

If its an 08 model, it will still have Manufacturers warranty left and to keep the warranty valid, it would be advisable to use a VAT registered garage to do the service and stamp the service book.

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
very easy to change oil and filter but as peter said......warranty issues.

you can change the oil but you cant stamp the service book and thats one of the first things a future buyer may as to see..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Cheers

I Forgot about the Warranty thing phoned local Fiat Dealer he quotes £150.00 for filter and oil change is that about right:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I Forgot about the Warranty thing phoned local Fiat Dealer he quotes £150.00 for filter and oil change is that about right:Smile:

That's about £100 more than DIY. Expensive stamp eh.

FIAT seem to run a "con" by specifying oil made from pure gold turned into liquid.

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
indeed

As the 2 year warranty is up in 3 weeks can i go back to my org question how easy is it to change theoil and do i need special tools

Thanks

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its is very simple Tools wise a large alen key for sump plug and maybe a filter wrench if its tight
Any independant garge should do it in the region of £50-£60 any of the quick fit centres certainly will
that missing stamp in the book will have a big impact on re sale, as has been suggested already
Geo

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As the 2 year warranty is up in 3 weeks can i go back to my org question how easy is it to change theoil and do i need special tools
Thanks

My experience is with a 2003 Fiat, I can't imagine yours is very different.

Quite easy as long as you get the right tool for the sump plug and the right tool for the filter.

You may get the filter off by hand or with some form of big pliers if have them. Either way a tenner buys the tools. For years I removed filters by driving a screwdriver into the side them and levering on that, crude but it always worked.

My brain has gone dead. I think the drain is just a big allen key and you probably need a pipe over it to undo it.

Personally, and I may be quite wrong, I don't like these huge service intervals with mega expensive oil. I do twice as many changes using good but not full synthetic.

With the clearance under these big things you don't need to jack them up.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think i will go for fiat dealer for re/sale purposes

Bill

you dont need the stamp from an overpriced fiat dealer.

£150 for an oil and filter change is, in my opinion, blatent robbery.

it will take 30 mins at the outside so thats £300 per hour

i dont know current independant garage rates but i would think no more than £30 > £35 per hour (depending where you are of course)
make sure they stamp the book.

any oil of the correct spec and type specified by fiat (in your handbook) should do the job and the filters are readily available from any motor fasctors at far less cost than the main dealer price.

beware.....the majority of small workshops use oil from a bulk tank so it may be worth providing your own to the correct spec if you want the right stuff.

if you DIY then dont forget a new sump bung washer.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
I agree with Mountain Man, I was just about to post that since there's hardly any market for used oil filters, a largeish screwdriver stabbed into the thing is the easiest way to loosen the filter.

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I agree with Mountain Man, I was just about to post that since there's hardly any market for used oil filters, a largeish screwdriver stabbed into the thing is the easiest way to loosen the filter.

Just a word of caution,Ive done this and it worked fine. I've also done this AND THE FILTER STILL WOULDNT COME OFF:Doh:the right tool for the job is only about £8.00 and if your going to do your own servicing is well worth it, even if just to stop the oil running down the screwdriver and your arm.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back