Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 424
Exp
6 months
Hi looking for some help :cry:
we bought a 2016 Swift Bessacarr 424 11 ago months from Wandahome in South Cave
Please no comments shouldn’t of bought British ,

We have a problem with the electric Sun Roof the linkage snapped.
They replaced the linkage under the warranty in October,

Unfortunately since the repair was completed the Sun Roof no longer goes up on its own we have to push it up to help the motor,

We had it back again to Wandahome they have now said its the original leisure battery ( swollen and faulty ) :ROFLMAO:

We had a additional leisure battery fitted by Wandahome when we bought the van and this is fine.

So it can’t be the battery causing the problem.

They have come back saying they will not cover the replacement battery as it’s not covered by the warranty and expect us to pay £500 for a new gel battery,

Is this unreasonable for me to think they should cover the battery?

Going back on Friday for another meeting with them .

Ian

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It is quite probable that the problem is low voltage caused by one of the two batteries failing

Possibly then badly explained

In answer to your query, should they pay for the battery, that will come down to the terms of the warranty, unless they have done something daft when they fitted the second battery and that can be proved

At three years old our first leisure battery failed, it was one of 2, but effectively left us with no operational 12 V anything, it has long been a worry of mine that multiple batteries are good when they are working well, but awful if one fails as effectively until disconnected they all fail

I would ask them to disconnect and remove the failed battery, in reality depending on your use, one will do fine, certainly compared to paying £500 for a £250 battery, see if that restores everything to working and see how one battery goes, you cold buy and fit your own for £250 or so if you find you really need it, we went round Europe in early spring and autumn with only one battery (y)

The normal rule is not to add a new battery to one much older, that might be something to discuss, but it is really down to opinion

I would be seeing if everything works on the single 'good' battery before doing much else, if it does try it and see how you get on with one

There is a good chance it still will not work, then that should hopefully come down to warranty

Good luck

OP
OP
Ian1801

Ian1801

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
N lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 424
Exp
6 months
Thanks Dave
That’s what they are going to do on Friday I have no intention of giving them anymore money so will try running on one if it sorts the sunroof out.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We have a problem with the electric Sun Roof the linkage snapped.
They replaced the linkage under the warranty in October,

Unfortunately since the repair was completed the Sun Roof no longer goes up on its own we have to push it up to help the motor,
Have you checked to see if the opening mechanism is unduly stiff? If so that would explain the snapped linkage and the help needed for the motor.

OP
OP
Ian1801

Ian1801

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
N lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 424
Exp
6 months
It’s a new mechanism, I did wonder if the new mechanism was stiff and needed greesing ,
The electric Bed goes up and down no problem,

The sunroof is a rubbish design.

Thanks for your input

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
It is quite probable that the problem is low voltage caused by one of the two batteries

I would ask them to disconnect and remove the failed battery, in reality depending on your use, one will do fine, certainly compared to paying £500 for a £250 battery, see if that restores everything to working and see how one battery goes, you cold buy and fit your own for £250 or so if you find you really need it, we went round Europe in early spring and autumn with only one battery (y)

The normal rule is not to add a new battery to one much older, that might be something to discuss, but it is really down to opinion

I would be seeing if everything works on the single 'good' battery before doing much else, if it does try it and see how you get on with one

There is a good chance it still will not work, then that should hopefully come down to warranty

Good luck
Just a thought here, could you not just use jump leads to bypass the duff battery to test the system? Or is that a stupid idea?
Comments please...

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just a thought here, could you not just use jump leads to bypass the duff battery to test the system? Or is that a stupid idea?
Comments please...
I have no idea, but what a brilliant left field, out of the box thought

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
when plugged into the mains the charger will be putting out around 14volts. Try the skylight when plugged in to ehu. if it works, then that will indicate the batteries are putting out insufficient voltage. greasing the mechanism is only ever going to help the problem. but it sounds like the motor is more powerful than the plastic mechanism when it jams

If even gels are left discharged for any time it damages them regardless if brand new or 2 years old. Replacing them is basic DIY and they can be purchased much much cheaper than the dealer is quoting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If that failed battery has ‘failed to short’ rather than ‘failed to open’ status, I would just get it removed ASAP as it could be putting a massive load on the charger.. and putting jump leads to it could be dodgy ,

OP
OP
Ian1801

Ian1801

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
N lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 424
Exp
6 months
Had meeting today they fitted a new battery onto the Motorhome.
sunroof didn’t work surprise surprise,

They going to fit a new motor etc onto the Sunroof ,

Also asked to see the faulty battery they can’t find it ????

Thanks for all your help and advice I will keep you posted

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back