HELP (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2017
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We're newbies
Hi...I have just joined in the hope of getting some well needed advise.
My husband and I are taking early retirement at the end of this year and are looking to buy a Motorhome to, initially, tour the UK but, hopefully to then adventure overseas.
We have been looking at various 'vans' and know the layout we would like but not sure as to which motor to choose......any advise good or bad from your experience would be gratefully received. At the present Peugeot are out as we are looking for an automatic and they do not produce those as yet.
We have camped in the past but this will be our first Motorhome so any other pearls of wisdom would also be gratefully received.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF Andrea
There are nearly as many different opinions as there are members on here.
You should download Guide to buying a Motorhome from the resources section (free if you subscribe to this forum).
The base van which is most available is the Fiat Ducato as most converters seem to use this. The Comformatic gearbox is not a true automatic but drives like one with the added bonus of being able to manually select gears if necessary. However it is not perfect (is anything?) and is complicated as are all modern engines.
Buying diesel you should get as modern an engine as possible as more and more countries and cities bring in clean air restrictions. At least Euro 5 if intending to keep for a few years.
One thing I can tell you, you will love your new adventures.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi...I have just joined in the hope of getting some well needed advise.
My husband and I are taking early retirement at the end of this year and are looking to buy a Motorhome to, initially, tour the UK but, hopefully to then adventure overseas.
We have been looking at various 'vans' and know the layout we would like but not sure as to which motor to choose......any advise good or bad from your experience would be gratefully received. At the present Peugeot are out as we are looking for an automatic and they do not produce those as yet.
We have camped in the past but this will be our first Motorhome so any other pearls of wisdom would also be gratefully received.
See this thread
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/selling-ones-motorhome-truthfully.159764/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Hi Andrea and Welcome! We have a Fiat Ducato 3litre 160bhp with the Comfortmatic Gearbox and are very happy with it. We didnt choose it - it just so happened that the Van had it when we fell in love with it. We have had a few vans in the past but the others were all manual. On a personal note I would steer clear of Ford Transits as they seem to be a target for thieves at the moment and I dont have any experience of the Mercedes which has a sprintshift option. I suppose it depends if you are looking new or pre owned as well because Fiat are now offering Comfortmatic on the 2.3 litre engine as well.

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
We have a 3ltr with comformatic and would not go back to a manual (had 2) we tow a vauxhall adam with it, check the fuel useage and on the computer it is showing 27.6 to the gallon

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello @Andrea Hodgson and welcome to the Fun :hiya:

My last (also my first) van was a Fiat Ducato with Comfortmatic gearbox. I loved it so much I've paid extra and waited quite some time to get my preferred new conversion with the same gearbox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:hiya2: Andrea, welcome to the fun. Don't rush in, there are lots for sale. and always ask questions here before you commit. You'll get better answers to your questions here here than most any dealer will give you. Read this guide, its free to subscribers and could literally save you ££thousands . The Motorhome Buyers Guide for Free The Definitive Guide to Buying the Right Motorhome at the Best Price (y)

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Although you feel you have identified the layout you want, suggest you hire first, what you think will suit often doesn't, hence the number of low mileage nearly new vans for sale. May be limited to what you get, automatics are less plentiful and seem to sell fast. so if buying used gearbox preference may well give way to preferred layout.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
so if buying used gearbox preference may well give way to preferred layout.
For me, it would be the other way around: I just wouldn't buy a manual gearbox now. I can't change the way my left knee works (or doesn't!) but I can change the way I live around the van.

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
For me, it would be the other way around: I just wouldn't buy a manual gearbox now. I can't change the way my left knee works (or doesn't!) but I can change the way I live around the van.
I agree Wendy for me an automatic wins every time but my left leg not lifting is the reason ........layouts you can adapt to suit within reason if the basics are there.

Oh almost forgot :welco: Andrea

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since 2016
Welcome Andrea.

I have some very recent experience of exactly the dilemma you are facing. I have had automatic cars for many years and really love the modern versions. When I decided to buy my first motorhome it had to be an auto. As my local dealer has a very good reputation, I decided to go for a Swift Fiat based MH with Comfortmatic gearbox. Whilst this gearbox does the job, it cannot ever be described as 'modern'. After a very enjoyable but rather frustrating season, I decided that the driving experience was not as I had hoped. I have now changed the MH for a Mercedes based one with a 'proper' automatic gearbox. This has proved much better although at considerable extra cost. My point is, how important is the driving experience to you? Both do the job well but in very different ways.

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Hi and welcome.
My advice. Research, research and then research some more.
So many people just buy a van and then trade it in for another model in the quest for the perfect van. ( Such a thing does not exist). There will always be compromises.
I know it seems like a bit of hard sell when people immediately advise you to pay and become a subscribed member when you ask for advice.
It really would be your best decision and potentially save you a lot of money and heartache.
The Motorhome Buying Guide could become your best friend.
This really is a very friendly online forum with a huge members database of knowledge.
Good luck in your search :)
:welc:

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
:ello:And welcome!

We were in your position last year, not camped, caravanned or had a motor home before! What to buy??

So we looked at fixed bed and rear lounge models first. Length ? first time not over 8m
We wanted separate shower and toilet, (not wet room loo).

Several dozen questions here and we bought an apache 700, rear lounge.

Before we put money down, we visited NEC motorhome show just to check if we preferred something else.
So far, we love our choice and wouldn't swap for anything yet.

Plus to us, fantastic views in the rear lounge,
negatives but only minor, bed up and down each night, but for us its worth while for the extra living space.

Some here will want a fixed bed which is comfier but its your choice what you are after.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jamie and Andrea Hodgson
Aug 31, 2017
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We're newbies
Thanks for your responses, really grateful...cliffdale, the apache 700 is one on our wish list. Will carry on research, after all that is my occupation! Thanks again and to Dan and Jan... may see you tomorrow, we're on our way to Scotland!!

Upvote 0

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Thanks for your responses, really grateful...cliffdale, the apache 700 is one on our wish list. Will carry on research, after all that is my occupation! Thanks again and to Dan and Jan... may see you tomorrow, we're on our way to Scotland!!
If you hurry its sunny tomorrow in Fife. :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back