DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Before I start " Honest it is not me"

A relative has just told me what he has just done on his computer.

He had a Page come up telling him to contact Microsoft which unfortunately he has done. They have gained access to his machine and pointed out a number of things that need sorting which they can do for ÂŁ60. He has not paid anything or given them any Bank details.

Any suggestions to help sort this out would be appreciated. I have told him to access his Bank Accounts via another computer and change passwords etc.

Doug

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If it's the usual scam one then he may as well chuck it away get a new one and change all passwords..... is it a windows based computer..?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
May be worthwhile considering restoring to factory default?
Pain in the butt but at least it would be back to "day 1" assuming this is possible.

Reactions: DJA

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume he's now turned off remote access?

Was it a genuine Microsoft support centre he contacted or one of the scammers? If genuine then he's not really got anything to worry about however before he does anything else he should disconnect from the internet and run CCleaner, Reg cleaner and Malwarebytes to see if they've installed any nasties/hidden stuff - again I stress that this should be done OFF LINE!

Once he's done that and hopefully nothing has been found, he can then go back and see if he still has any issues but hopefully his 'cleaning' will have sorted them out anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DJA

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Don't they call it ransomware as they will wipe your files unless you pay up. Typical scammer trick. If you have backed up in to the cloud, a last resort if all else fails is formatting the hard drive or paying up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back