Free Member
May 27, 2017
Broadstone, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Since 2013
Although I've owned my motorhome - an Autocruise Starfire - for 4/5 years I'm now on my own and having to learn the 'man jobs'!
Things like the water system/toilet/electrics etc etc have all been done by hubby, but no more.
I've managed quite a few things now but not sure how to flush the main water tank through.
I use the m/h every week to ensure everything runs well but worried that just topping it up with water isn't ideal. I don't use this water for drinking ever but I'm sure it must be breeding some bugs in there by now especially with our unpredictable British weather!!
Advice appreciated please.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Should be ok, that's all I do and then sterilize the tank annually. The water you put in is chlorinated so is safe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I drain my fresh tank down if I'm not likely to be using its contents for a while and fill it up ready for the next trip, but I've never felt the need to sterilise the fresh system. As the previous poster says, the water is already chlorinated and will keep your system bug free.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
:hiya2:w2f Sounds like your doing just fine, its all a question of building up your confidence & there's plenty of help on this forum whenever you need it, enjoy.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello Mrs Morph and welcome to the Fun :hiya:

Now you've found us, you are not alone - there will always be someone around to help. Not me, obviously, 'cause I don't know anything about that stuff either - which is how I know help is always just a keyboard away :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
There's so much on here for women travelling alone.
But... a lot is only open to 'subscribed' members - it's a very small annual fee, the best £15 you'll ever spend to get continued access to all the fun and banter, help and advice, meets and rallies, discounts and downloads...
All the info you need is just a click away

- and then you can call yourself a regular Funster! (daft, but we love it)

Hope to see your name under your avatar turn from green to blue as you join up ;)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There is plenty of help and advice to be found on this site. However if you now find yourself motorhoming alone and perhaps want some company you might find The New Companions Camping Club worth considering. Membership is open to people who camp alone, whether they are widowed, single, divorced or have a non camping partner. Their web site can be found at https://newcompanions.org.uk/ .

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hello and welcome. Even though I have a hubby I do lots of the filling and emptying. We always drink from. The tank in the UK but sterilise it in Spain by taking a 2litre bottle ,filling it from the tank and using a drinkable water steriliser to sterilise it and drink from. That. Except when using it for tea etc when we boil it straight from the tank.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and Welcome Mrs Morph I hope you join us as it is a great forum for help ,advice ,:welcomesign:banter and friendship! Meetings and rally's big or small occurr all year. There is a group called FLORA who will offer much help and more @movan and @Cal54 are there to help!!

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, we too only sterilise our fresh water tank once a year. If your using the van regular then you should be OK. (y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow thanks everyone for the replies and also the welcome.
I don't feel quite so lonely now.
Just got to brave going away on my own - only done day trips so far.

You don't need to do trips away alone. As @Anthea M says, just let us know you want to be in on FLORA and we will include you in the posts. There is sonething going on all the time .. different parts of the country .. soli women or women whose partners don't like motorhoming ... meets just for solos or meets for everybody .. music rallies .. beach rallies .. but you need to join to be in on them all. :)

@Cal54

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We've had out motorhome seven years this September coming. Never sterilised the tank. :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We haven't sterilised the tank in any of the vans, we do though fill a 5L bottle with fresh water for drinking. Find the water in Spain much better quality than that in UK as does our ex waterboard friend. Just realised that I have always used the tank water for brushing my teeth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back