Dan16

Free Member
Sep 10, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
me and my girlfriend are planning to go travelling around Europe covering approximately 80,000 miles. We are wondering what type of vehicle we would need looking at mpg and being as cheap as possible! We were looking at camper vans but came to the conclusion that this would be too expensive as they have low mpg. We were swaying more towards a converted van. Any suggestions?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello Dan
Thought there was an emergency with the Help title.
You young things don't prepare surely? We tented and backed packed and had a tatty old mini!! Good luck !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Dan. What a great adventure for you both. Yes I think you are right to look into van conversions, but to travel and camp cheaply you really need your own facilities like a loo and shower. Plus the ability to heat and cook etc. You can then wild camp. There are a couple of good blogs on here and elsewhere.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dan16

Free Member
Sep 10, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks for the advice, we found this ........ Broken Link Removed ..... would apperciate your thoughts in terms of fuel efficency:) thanks guys

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Although mpg is a big factor - I know I only get 23 or so, one of the most important considerations if you intend to spend a long time travelling is comfort and usability. Mpg may be great but if you don't have much room, live on top of each other, cannot answer the call of nature efficiently and wash etc then your trip may well be an uncomfortable if not very short one.

Upvote 0

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
If you intend on travelling for a long time, then you need a van that is going to be comfortable in.
We made this mistake, hired an r/v in Canada for a month that was far too small. Nearly ended in fisty cuffs.
We have now been travelling for 5 months and head off to Europe next month, it is a large van but we are having a great time.
Get the right van to live in, then worry about the mpg.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you mean 80,000 miles or was that a typo? Assuming you are not driving every day then that is going to take several years in which case factor in coming back to the UK every 12 months for an MOT and you will be classed as "full timing" which means insurance is going to cost you around £2K a year plus or minus a bit depending on age and any previous claims.

If you are young and fit why not do it on push bikes? This is not a joke suggestion, there are couples cycling around the world at this very moment and there are entire families with kids who have been on the road for years on bikes. Have a look on this website: www.crazyguyonabike.com and as an example this lot (not so young I think) have been in Europe 6 months: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/PBandBlueDoEurope

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fuel consumption really can't be an issue....it is what it is.
I was concerned about mpg when we bought our American RV.....10mpg at best.
But, for the sheer comfort and space it was worth the sacrifice in fuel economy.
No matter what you buy you can work on an approx MPG around 25mpg for an older, possibly non turbo, van.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well you are going to be away a while if you are going to do those miles, do you plan on your winters being in the sun or snow, this could really affect your choice of van.

Become a full member and come back with more information and the advice will come rolling in.

Martin

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
many folk seeking "the alternative lifestyle" of travelling long term use converted lorries or busses. A panel van has too little space or payload for the conversion and your essential goods and chattels

As already mentioned it is no longer such an easy life as the vehicle must be "legal" as in have mot and insurance. so a return to the uk each 12 months is essential

Upvote 0

jennyp19

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sunny Scunny
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
about 10 yrs
if you passed your test after 1997 you won't have a C1 on your licence if you want to drive vehicle over 3.5t.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back