Help with where to park motorhome in Bristol please (1 Viewer)

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Hi

Has anybody got any ideas on where to park in Bristol. Want to be within walking distance of Bristol Hippodrome. Many thanks.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Looks like there might be Parking in College Street, Services and Pay & Display at Wapping Wharf and a C&MH site at Baltic Wharf.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Baltic Wharf caravan club site, if you can get in and then water taxi over to Hippodrome. No other parking within walking distance, Bristol City Council is in no way Motorhome friendly. Some people 'stealth' park on the Downs but you'de have to bus it down and taxi back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Baltic Wharf caravan club site, if you can get in and then water taxi over to Hippodrome. No other parking within walking distance, Bristol City Council is in no way Motorhome friendly. Some people 'stealth' park on the Downs but you'de have to bus it down and taxi back.

When I was a student the Downs were a bit of a no go place.

#dogging

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
When I was a student the Downs were a bit of a no go place.

#dogging
I wouldnt stay there overnight, but we've seen vans parked up there - I think there's a good chance you'de be moved on, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Dogging was invented in the 80s? I thought it was a recent thing!!:LOL:

No, those of us young enough to be " making out" in cars became aware of lots of "dog walkers"

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wouldnt stay there overnight, but we've seen vans parked up there - I think there's a good chance you'de be moved on, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I stay there often.

No luck yet though(y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
No, those of us young enough to be " making out" in cars became aware of lots of "dog walkers"
You had a car as a student!! We just went walking!!!:rolleyes:

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
During the day I'd recommend park and ride, probably Brislington if coming from Devizes.
On an evening, you could probably get way with parking at Redcliffe Parade car park. It doesn't have designated mh parking but bays are large and it's seldom busy after 6.00pm https://www.bristol.gov.uk/parking/redcliffe-parade-long-stay-car-park
For an overnight stop, CC at Baltic Wharf is best option.
Another popular wilding spot is adjacent to Bristol Bridge, just off Redcliffe Way, although I appreciate we all have our own comfort zone when wilding...
untitled.png

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Do you want it for overnighting or just Parking? Is it for an afternoon or evening performance.? The Downs would seem your best bet as the parking is not in marked bays, however I would not want to overnight there. Park and ride sites would work for afternoon performance but last buses back about 9pm.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Have seen vans parked on the opposite side of the road outside Baltic Wharf but not sure what restrictions, if any, are in place. Then use water taxi and walk back if late.

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
It's just for parking in the day as it is a matinee performance. Baltic Wharf are full as I'd have stayed overnight. Looked at Wapping Wharf and called them, they said unlikely to get in. I think it's going to have to be park and ride. Long Ashton seems to be the only motorhome friendly one. Really wanted to be north in the city for a quick get out onto the motorway as going straight up north after. Thanks for all the suggestions, might just look at Brislington park and ride as well

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
What about Ikea just off the M32? You could then get a bus or taxi into to town. If you go to the back of the outdoor car park the bays are decent. Also no. Time limit :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It's just for parking in the day as it is a matinee performance. Baltic Wharf are full as I'd have stayed overnight. Looked at Wapping Wharf and called them, they said unlikely to get in. I think it's going to have to be park and ride. Long Ashton seems to be the only motorhome friendly one. Really wanted to be north in the city for a quick get out onto the motorway as going straight up north after. Thanks for all the suggestions, might just look at Brislington park and ride as well
If you want a quick getaway, then Ashton Gate P&R best bet as you can get bus right outside Hippodrome and once at car park should be a reasonable route out of a Bristol along either the A4 to Avonmouth, or, if traffic looks busy over Cumberland Basin, along the A369 to Portbury junction on M5.
The Brislington P& R would leave you either at the mercy of the A4174 ring road where there are often hold ups and certainly once the Bromley Heath viaduct works are happening starting very soon, or you could go back to Bath and the A46 but that not an attractive option at that time of day either.
Hope you have a lovely day, are you seeing something nice?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've parked in the road outside the CC site there weren't any restriction when we were there. Pay & display car parks all had a 15cwt weight limit.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If you want a quick getaway, then Ashton Gate P&R best bet as you can get bus right outside Hippodrome and once at car park should be a reasonable route out of a Bristol along either the A4 to Avonmouth, or, if traffic looks busy over Cumberland Basin, along the A369 to Portbury junction on M5.
The Brislington P& R would leave you either at the mercy of the A4174 ring road where there are often hold ups and certainly once the Bromley Heath viaduct works are happening starting very soon, or you could go back to Bath and the A46 but that not an attractive option at that time of day either.
Hope you have a lovely day, are you seeing something nice?
I agree that Ashton Gate Park and Ride might be a good option, and better than Brislington IMHO. The van would perhaps be a little more secure there than on the street?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Dogging was invented in the 80s? I thought it was a recent thing!!:LOL:

Wouldn't know but asked a dogger how long they had been doing it and the reply was "ever since we were puppies".

Sally Knowles

Free Member
Jun 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato chausson
Baltic wharf caravan park is closing in September for good and are fully booked till then as Bristol City Council want the land back.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Ashton Gate has a height barrier. If you phone the parking authorities, they may tell you there is not, as they did when I phoned them, but there is. Unless, very unlikely, they have had a change of mind. Plus they're emptying the streets of FLTs. They've started this a Glastonbury, too. They're not enlightened like they are here in France!

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Mardyke wharf car park just alongside the grain barge on Hotwells road looks possible if there is a space (it's not very big). Or even across the road on Hotwells road itself if the timings are right for you. It's all on Google Street view

Deleted User
The car park behind M Shed used to allow overnighting a few years back if a ticket was purchased but I haven't been there lately.
Wapping Wharf Car Park

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Curious now, did you actually find somewhere suitable ????? And how was the show?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back