Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Evening all,,I’m having a bit of a moment,,I have checked various threads about water filling hoses,,but they all seem quite old,,I just need any advice or definitive answer as to if Need to buy food grade hoses or would a normal hose do.? Now I fully get it that some peeps would have their own views on this,,so I would love to hear them so I can make a choice.( based on the knowledge of all funsters). Thanks in advance,,please feel free to take the pee,,,:giggle:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I`ve never had a "food grade" hose. Filled R-V`s (60 US gallon). I`m still here?.

Most UK Water, is sensibly treated and flows through the hose at rate that is unlikely to pick up any Bacterium.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Same for me. Let it run out for a few seconds to wash any bugs out that might have been in your van and fill the tank.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
For water storage i'd agree that a food grade vessel should be used, for a tube that the water is in contact with for less than 5 seconds i honestly would not be concerned.

Other things that make me less concerned about using regular PVC hose pipe is that the water passing through is generally cold, it's fresh water and not salt water and overall all these things reduce the risk that the plasticisers release anything.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My first rule is NEVER trust a campsite or Aire hose. I have seen them abused too much. If necessary unscrew them from the tap and use your own.

I have a couple of hoses that expand under water pressure like this one One is 30m long when extended and the other is 15m. I bought them on Ebay. I have put hoselock type push fit fittings on them so I can join them together. When you have finished filling with them they shrink down very small and expel nearly all the water in them. They take up very little room and I keep them in a medium sized plastic box. I also have a 3m length and 6m length of ordinary garden hose for using dedicated motorhome filling points, again with push fit fittings.

None are food grade because I always run the water a little bit before putting it in the tank, which means the water will only be in them for a few seconds. No time to leach out anything.

To attach to taps you will need a set of screw on tap adaptors, which can be bought on Ebay or in B&Q. Try to get ones for 1/2", 3/4" and 1" BSP adaptors. These will fit nearly all the screw type taps found in the UK and Europe. Most will use the 3/4" one, but you may occasionally come across the smaller or larger one. Take several, especially the 3/4" one, because I guarantee that every trip you will leave at least one on a tap somewhere!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wabs

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
My first rule is NEVER trust a campsite or Aire hose. I have seen them abused too much. If necessary unscrew them from the tap and use your own.

I have a couple of hoses that expand under water pressure like this one One is 30m long when extended and the other is 15m. I bought them on Ebay. I have put hoselock type push fit fittings on them so I can join them together. When you have finished filling with them they shrink down very small and expel nearly all the water in them. They take up very little room and I keep them in a medium sized plastic box. I also have a 3m length and 6m length of ordinary garden hose for using dedicated motorhome filling points, again with push fit fittings.

None are food grade because I always run the water a little bit before putting it in the tank, which means the water will only be in them for a few seconds. No time to leach out anything.

To attach to taps you will need a set of screw on tap adaptors, which can be bought on Ebay or in B&Q. Try to get ones for 1/2", 3/4" and 1" BSP adaptors. These will fit nearly all the screw type taps found in the UK and Europe. Most will use the 3/4" one, but you may occasionally come across the smaller or larger one. Take several, especially the 3/4" one, because I guarantee that every trip you will leave at least one on a tap somewhere!
Thanks for that,,brilliant,,another page in my knowledge folder,, (y) (y)

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
As has been said.
I use expandable hoses, not food grade.
I also drink and use the water from the tank 😳😊

All water in the U.K. is treated and your stored water is kept in a dark area.

No one thinks anything of drinking bottled water that’s traveled loads of miles and possibly left in the sun 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Same as me. Two food grade 10m flat hoses carried. Most the only one needed. Sometimes you may have to join them.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I used to be in the school which thought for filling you don't need a food grade hose. Then last year our lay-flat hose bought from a yacht chandler failed after 6 years while we were in France.

I bought some green "garden" hose from a farm supplier and then wondered why our water tasted foul. I even started a thread on here about French water tasting nasty! 😀

It wasn't the water, it was the hose and the water still tasted unpleasant even after four weeks of daily use. Whatever chemicals were in the hose they were persistent.

When we got home the replacement hose went in the bin and I bought another lay-flat hose from a chandlers. Water fine now. 😀

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We use a blue food grade hose as it is flat and lightweight- had it for over 11 years. Have lots of different tap fittings ,always use our own fixtures if possible as have seen people washing toilets out at fresh water taps. Never used tank cleaner stuff for the fresh water but saying that we only drink boiled water ( tea coffee) in the van either in uk or abroad -occasionally bottled water abroad or have small container we fill from sink if we are in campsite, which isn’t often.. think it is a personal issue - do what you feel ok with xx

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wabs

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Has anyone got food grade copper, lead, plastic or clay pipes into there home....🤔
Just asking a question,I’m personally not worried about drinking anything( I was in the forces for years) but I am worried for my much better half,, that’s all,(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wabs

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
We use a blue food grade hose as it is flat and lightweight- had it for over 11 years. Have lots of different tap fittings ,always use our own fixtures if possible as have seen people washing toilets out at fresh water taps. Never used tank cleaner stuff for the fresh water but saying that we only drink boiled water ( tea coffee) in the van either in uk or abroad -occasionally bottled water abroad or have small container we fill from sink if we are in campsite, which isn’t often.. think it is a personal issue - do what you feel ok with xx
I seem to have a cast iron stomach,,but my wife hasn’t,,I just want to make her feel comfy and not worry about daft things like water,,,:giggle:

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Has anyone got food grade copper, lead, plastic or clay pipes into there home....🤔
Yes The copper and plastic is certified in my house, as it is in most houses, and the joining solder is lead free to comply to these regs. Lead pipe isn’t food grade or safe thats why it’s replaced when found, and clay pipes are for waste water not supply.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes The copper and plastic is certified in my house, as it is in most houses, and the joining solder is lead free to comply to these regs. Lead pipe isn’t food grade or safe thats why it’s replaced when found, and clay pipes are for waste water not supply.

Only since around 1985 was lead removed from potable water pipes 😊

If you’ve a house older than that and it’s not been replumbed the odds are you’ve still got lead solder 😉

As for that plastic pipe they use 🤮 😊

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Only since around 1985 was lead removed from potable water pipes 😊

If you’ve a house older than that and it’s not been replumbed the odds are you’ve still got lead solder 😉

As for that plastic pipe they use 🤮 😊

Yes it’s been fully replumbed, Im a plumber. 😜😜

And I believe lead pipes haven’t been used since 1970 👌🏻

“As a result, the Government has banned the use of lead in many products, and it has not been used for water pipes since 1970. The Government also advises that we should minimise our exposure to lead from all sources, including drinking water.”

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It was nearly 20 years ago, and pretty much zero done since to comply with “trade rules” 😂😂😂

one day I may even finish it.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I use this, made a bracket that goes on filler opening and use hoselock connectors, always run water through for a few mins if not been used in a while and always spray taps on site with an anti bacteria spray of that popular flea bay site, you can also get differing grades of filter for different jobs such as removing chlorine taste etc and are a doddle to change, one filter one season but so far this year one days use!

1.10" Water / Biodiesel Filter Housing 1" 3/4" 1/2" BSP Cartridge + Bacinix Ring
2. BRASS MALE BSPT HOSE TAIL FITTINGS - 1/8" TO 2" - WATER, FUEL, GAS, OIL HOSETAIL

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I used to be in the school which thought for filling you don't need a food grade hose. Then last year our lay-flat hose bought from a yacht chandler failed after 6 years while we were in France.

I bought some green "garden" hose from a farm supplier and then wondered why our water tasted foul. I even started a thread on here about French water tasting nasty! 😀

It wasn't the water, it was the hose and the water still tasted unpleasant even after four weeks of daily use. Whatever chemicals were in the hose they were persistent.

When we got home the replacement hose went in the bin and I bought another lay-flat hose from a chandlers. Water fine now. 😀

I don't know how you tell, but you need good quality if you're using a green hose. we've never used food grade, and had no problems whatsoever until we bought a 'bargain' hose from Screwfix for the garden. It's one of those 18mm yellow ones you see being used in garden centres. the first and only time we used it for the MH it left an awful taste, and that was immediately after sprinkling the garden for about 40minutes. the green hoses we use are Hozelock, and don't seem to effect the taste at all.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back