Help with Truma CP plus heater controls (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Have the above heater in my year old Hymer . As we shall be away over the New Year on a camp site in Looe Cornwall, we will be on electricity. To be honest I am confused still how to work it on ONLY electric. Help please!,

Colyboy

Attachments

• 3CA41FB0-64C0-4207-A995-1B4EB8B342F3.jpeg
    3CA41FB0-64C0-4207-A995-1B4EB8B342F3.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 178
Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Our cp plus is gas only, but have you twiddled the dial along to your electric symbol and press it in? If not, worth a try

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Hi Paul,
Do you have the unit with the CP plus digital display? If so press the large black knob, the top row of symbols will flash turn the knob to the third symbol from the left, press the knob in once you now have a choice of Gas, Mix 1 which is gas + 900w electric, Mix 2 which is gas + 1800w electric, elec 1 which is 900 w and finally elec 2 which is 1800 w electric Caradon is 16 amps so elec 2 will be your choice, alternatively I will be there before you so I will show you and set the timer up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hi Colyboy,

The images “above the line” represent the active bits.

The first (“flame”) symbol tells you that the space heating is on.

The next (“thermometer”, absent in your photo) is present when water heating is on.

The symbols flash if heating is actually in progress.

The third is the heat source. The one you have displayed indicates that heating would be done by gas (“bottle”) and two electric elements (two “flashes”).

The fourth is the fan speed “fan blades” (ECO in your case).

The final symbol, if present, is a “timer” (so your timer is not on).

Below the line shows that you have the room stat set to 23°C (and, far right, that you have live EHU connected.

If you tap the button, a set of icons will appear immediately below the line. The first will be a “moho” and flashing. Rotating the dial will change the flashing icon to the next (they continue along a second row along the bottom but the top row is the one you’ll use most). Tapping again allows you to set values for whichever icon was flashing. So, for room temperature, you tap while the “moho” is flashing and then rotation of the dial will increase or decrease the desired room temperature. The easy thing to forget, after that, is to tap again, to set that temperature.

Rather than change the room temperature, you could move to the next “thermometer” icon and set the water to be heated to “ECO” or “HOT”.

Similarly, to alter the heat source, move to the third group of icons and tap that. The available options will appear and rotating the knob now will select a different combination of energy sources (hopefully, self-explanatory by their icons). Remember to tap the button after selecting the required combination afterwards or nothing will be changed. Having said that, you don’t need to alter anything for use in the UK, all EHU supplies ought to be able to cope with two heating elements (1800W, or 8A). You could switch to electric only, in which case I think gas would come on if the electricity failed (I only have a pure gas one, so I’m not very familiar with the ‘leccy bit) but I consider it best to have it set as yours is. Be aware that the boiler was designed as a gas heater and the ‘leccy bit was added as a supplementary aid. However, Truma have considerately programmed the controller to only use gas when no mains hook-up is available or the demand is too much for ‘leccy alone.

To keep things simple, I suggest that you leave everything as it is. You’re already using electricity (but not just electicity). Simply continue to change the required room temperature as normal, turning it down when you turn in and back up when you get up. (I’d set the water to “ECO”, too.) I don’t think you’ll be very comfortable trying to survive on EHU alone in winter, there’s just not enough power in 1.8kW, but rest assured that the boiler will use as little gas as necessary to do what you request of it.

My typing finger’s getting tired, now, so I hope that’s answered your query. If not, just ask again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The third is the heat source. The one you have displayed indicates that heating would be done by gas (“bottle”) and two electric elements (two “flashes”).
I think I need to go to SpecSavers.:D

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Flippin 'eck, that Truma CP Plus control is over-complicated. :(

I would be much happier with on/off switches and a room thermostat.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
I was confused by ours at first but after studying the manual and working my way through the different options, I soon worked it out. The only thing I didn't realise for quite some time (we've had the van 9 months) was that you don't need to have water heating on if the heating's on. The water heat setting is for if you have no heating on, such as in summer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was confused by ours at first but after studying the manual and working my way through the different options, I soon worked it out. The only thing I didn't realise for quite some time (we've had the van 9 months) was that you don't need to have water heating on if the heating's on. The water heat setting is for if you have no heating on, such as in summer.
Not much cop for a shower in the morning, it will take well over 1½ hours until the water is hot enough, even set to heating & hot water takes over an hour. Also if you select Boost on the hot water it turns the heating of until the water reaches 62°. Best way of getting hot water for a morning shower is set the timer for ¾hr before you want the heating on and set the hot water to boost, then set the heating to the temp you want. When it turns on as the hot water is set for boost the water will heat up which takes about ¾hr before the heating turns on.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you want to use BOOST with the timer, you also need to set it to come on earlier, to allow for the water to heat up first.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thanks everybody I now know that we will be nice and warm on our visit to Camping Caradon in Looe for the New Years celebrations and my birthday. Please not to many cards!!

Colyboy

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We were away last weekend and despite it being a clear night with a frost we were warm enough just with the 1.8kW heating. Our set up is the old dial system and we only had the thermostat on 5 (max is 9) overnight. did have external silver screens on as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back