Help with sourcing step down transformer (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Travel Trailer
I need some advice regarding a step down transformer.

We have an American Travel Trailer that is due to arrive this week.

Initially we had planned just to convert it fully to UK spec, however as it got some nice appliances fitted we've decided to keep the existing wiring as well as adding a 2nd UK circuit.

So I will need a step down transformer, preferably with a soft start module so as the campsite we frequent most would likely trip with the inrush current.

Can anyone suggest a good brand and a supplier to contact?

I've tried calling a few places that do conversions for motorhomes to see if they can supply one, a couple said they would call back and never did, another was was pretty rude so I'm not having much luck and I don't want to just chuck in a yellow box.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
There's a big van on our site with transformer, he was saying it costs a fortune as it's on 24/7 and the electric is metered. Just saying šŸ‘

w2f

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Would a yellow box work on the MH appliances? They are 110V, as required, but they are centre-tapped +/-55V for safety on a building site. I think there wouldn't be any problems, but I don't know enough about US mains appliances to be sure.

In theory you could disconnect the centre tap and ground one of the 'live' outputs. You would then have a simple 110V transformer with a live (hot) and grounded neutral. In practice I don't actually know how that would be done, but I don't think it's difficult.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Itā€™s not so much the voltage as the frequency. US 110 volt 60 cycles,UK 240 volt 50 cycles. Anything with an element is fine but anything with a motor may be affected. Some will be ok as they can run on 50/60 others will have a shorter life. Some may not run at all. You need to look on the plate attached to anything with a motor to check if it will run on 50 and 60 hertz. Just using a yellow box transformer will not suit every appliance.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A transformer can not change the frequency. If the input is 50Hz the output will be 50Hz, it's a feature of how a transformer works. One possibility is to use an inverter like a Victron, from a battery bank. It can be set to 60Hz if that's what you want. So you could run sensitive things like maybe a coffee-maker that won't run on 50Hz. This system is used on for example yachts that can plug in anywhere around the world.

The battery charger can be 50Hz, and the inverter can be 60Hz. Don't get a combined inverter/charger, they need to be separate.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Would a yellow box work on the MH appliances? They are 110V, as required, but they are centre-tapped +/-55V for safety on a building site. I think there wouldn't be any problems, but I don't know enough about US mains appliances to be sure.

In theory you could disconnect the centre tap and ground one of the 'live' outputs. You would then have a simple 110V transformer with a live (hot) and grounded neutral. In practice I don't actually know how that would be done, but I don't think it's difficult.
They over heat and have been know to catch fire!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Itā€™s not so much the voltage as the frequency. US 110 volt 60 cycles,UK 240 volt 50 cycles. Anything with an element is fine but anything with a motor may be affected. Some will be ok as they can run on 50/60 others will have a shorter life. Some may not run at all. You need to look on the plate attached to anything with a motor to check if it will run on 50 and 60 hertz. Just using a yellow box transformer will not suit every appliance.
The only thing that will get into a hissy on 50 cycles is the clock on the microwave (it will always be slow) and the on board battery charger (unless its 50/60 Hz (some are)

Everything else is fine on transformed 110 VAC 50 Hz and its not worth even considering a frequency generator to upscale.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
They over heat and have been know to catch fire!
Yes I've heard that, they aren't rated for continuous use.

I used to work on CDM sites where 230v isn't allowed. Was really inconvenient when you couldn't charge the battery drill up, so I bought a transformer for using American things here and wired it up backwards šŸ˜œ it worked spot on šŸ¤©

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back