Help with Solar Controller (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Please help a Newbie,

I have had a search and didn't find any answers to my problem high I will explain as best as I can....

Solar panel, controller had been fitted by previous owner, we have had a couple of small trips and all was fine. Now I left the master switch and a light on which drained the Leisure battery, red light showed on the controller (green light for solar panel) unassumed this was due to drain, so I left it thinking it would just recharge. Few week later, very slight charge showing on battery indicator in the van and still red light on controller.

I have taken the battery out and fully charged, fitted back. Battery indicator shows full charge, but I still have the red light showing on the controller!!

Checked fuses etc and all ok

Controller is a PWM Solar Charge Controller EPRC

What do I need to do ????

OP
OP
Rjcamper
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
IMG_20190725_173233.jpg

Managed to upload a picture of the controller

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Might be worth disconnecting one of the wires from the solar panel then disconnect one of the leads from the battery. Wait 30 seconds or so then connect the battery wire then the solar wire. This order is important on some models of controller.

If you still have an issue check the battery voltage with a multimeter, you can get a suitable one from places like Screwfix for about a tenner and they are invaluable for chasing down faults. If the battery has been fully charged then rested for a few hours the voltage should be around 12.5. Anything less suggests a goosed battery. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rjcamper
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Thanks, battery tester stated full charge. My multi meter I found out has broken, I will try the reset you suggest if no difference I will head off and get a cheap meter to test.

Forgot to mention the Leisure battery is only a year or so old

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
[QUOTE="Rjcamper, post: 3430335, member:

Forgot to mention the Leisure battery is only a year or so old
[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately if it’s been “abused” by a faulty controller the battery may still be damaged even after a single year!

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Leaving a battery flat will reduce its useful life

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rjcamper
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
UPDATE: Charged and tested battery, wasn't 100% sure battery was spot on so got a new one, fitted and still have red light. Had a night away to ensure all working before a weeks trip with no hook up, all worked OK, minimal battery drop (Was only using lights in the camper)

When taken for a drive, once stopped i checked the controller, the controller 'Red' light starts to try and go green (Not flashing more of a flicker), but 30 minutes later goes back to red

Now, cleaned Solar Panel, got multi meter out and getting a reading of 10.5 volts from where the solar cables enter the controller and 10.5 volts on the cables that so to the battery.

Now its a very cloudy, wet drizzelly day here on the Devon / Cornish border, I google expected volts from a solar panel and not getting a clear answer, would this be normal levels?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now, cleaned Solar Panel, got multi meter out and getting a reading of 10.5 volts from where the solar cables enter the controller and 10.5 volts on the cables that so to the battery.
After a drive the battery wires should show around 13.6v (battery voltage)
Looks to me like you have a very bad connection on one of the battery posts or fuse.
Check battery voltage directly ON the battery POSTS with a meter......not the clamps or bolts... On the POSTS.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rjcamper
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
You are a Star :) If our paths cross on the road I owe you a drink.....

Tested battery 12.6V, the negative terminal look a bit loose so redid it, no change 10.5V, traced the wires to the inline fuse, again seem loose, took apart and back together, I now have Green lights :)

Think the inline fuse holder is a bit crapper so will pick one up this week and replace, I have put the original battery back on and all seems good, so will be taking the new battery back for a refund (Got that agreed before I bought it)

Thanks to all for all your help

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back