Help with My Sleeping Arrangements (1 Viewer)

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hiya All,
I'm hoping to pick your brains please.
Ive just got myself my first motor home an Elddis Autoquest 350s 1996 model. Doris!

I bought it with the hope of sleeping above the cab up out of the way so as not to have to keep making up my bed downstairs!

There are two long cushion type things up there covered in the same material as the seating downstairs (lol you can tell I'm a real Newbie! Lol :D) one is removalable and the other is screwed down. I was advised to put a memory foam mattress on top which I did, and after buying a ladder to get up there I find there's not much room to turn.

So, what do you guys do and what do you suggest?
Can the cushions up there be 'unfixed' and taken down or is that not a good plan. The memory mattress is aprx. 3" deep.

Many thanks for reading and hopefully receiving your replies.
Cheers
Joy

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
.........:) ..... pepper spray :) ....
not legal in this country, but an ammonia based floor cleaner in a spray bottle works as well

I'm going to try and get to the next meet in Dorset if my man eating dog will promise not to bite anyone! He's a disturbed but loveable (with me) Battersea rescue dog and it may just be too soon for him as I've only had him a few weeks and he needs time to learn that he won't be hurt again!
rescue dogs are my favourite having worked in staffy rescue. dogs with issues can be a challenge and also very rewarding. if you need any advice, please feel free to ask, I am happy to help

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
if my man eating dog will promise not to bite anyone! H
Wouldn't worry about that joy.... can't be any worse than blue.,Sandra's collie... @irnbru ...he likes me, I think !!!
But usually gives me a nip on the backside just to let me know :LOL::LOL:.. harmless really :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
not legal in this country, but an ammonia based floor cleaner in a spray bottle works as well

rescue dogs are my favourite having worked in staffy rescue. dogs with issues can be a challenge and also very rewarding. if you need any advice, please feel free to ask, I am happy to help

Hey that's Wonderful thank you! You may even get to meet him if I get to Dorset, I was going to contact you anyway as I put myself down for a provisional yes the other day to the meet at ..... senior moment but somewhere in Dorset, but having just got back from my First ever away time in Doris with the fur kids I realised that Dorset could be tricky for little Rocco! We would need to be in a quiet corner where he can't see people walking past and I think that will be very difficult to find???

Also, I've lost my vent cover in the rear on the journey home, and the front one over the bed leaks! So, Two vents are on order and should be arriving soon and then it's a matter of getting them fixed in so I'm waterproof! I hate a soggy bed!

Love it you like rescue dogs too .... they are the best!! Cheers
Joy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wouldn't worry about that joy.... can't be any worse than blue.,Sandra's collie... @irnbru ...he likes me, I think !!!
But usually gives me a nip on the backside just to let me know :LOL::LOL:.. harmless really :D

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
I'm not sure Rocco would be harmless?? I would like to think so BUT he's got a few dude who dared to move but never broke their skin! Only mine when I first had him, took me over an hour to get him out of the car when I got home from Battersea and he bit me quite badly but only because he was frightened! He's now adoring! Awww! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
just changed a strange bit of spelling that happened..... I think my machine has a mind of its own! Lol. dood ... !! ? It's dude! Lol

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Joy, at Bagwell we are on the rally field. This is a grass field with electric hookups around the outside. It would be fairly easy to pitch you so that Rocco could be sheltered from distractions. Even pitch you so your awning side faced the hedge etc. With the greatest respect, changing your plans and pandering to his insecurities will only reinforce the issues. controlled exposure is the way to overcome his fears
I have helped some very seriously disturbed dogs get settled into new loving forever homes. Dogs are pretty simple creatures when you remove the complexities we create for them. They need stability, a place within a pack that they understand, food they dont have to compete for and somebody that loves and understands them

you cant force a dog to overcome its fears, it needs to be given the opportunity safely and given time to make a decision for itself. However, by being calm and assertive, the dog will look to you for leadership. By continuing to follow your plans and "bringing the dog along too", you show the dog there is no need to fear new situations

the alternative is you feed the dog's fears, just by saying to yourself " I cant so that because the dog wont like it". that would really limit your ability to live the life you want and your dogs deserve

as for losing skylights on your van, I guess they must be getting brittle with age. but a simple and quick job to get them replaced.

hope you do decide to join us at Bagwell

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Joy, at Bagwell we are on the rally field. This is a grass field with electric hookups around the outside. It would be fairly easy to pitch you so that Rocco could be sheltered from distractions. Even pitch you so your awning side faced the hedge etc. With the greatest respect, changing your plans and pandering to his insecurities will only reinforce the issues. controlled exposure is the way to overcome his fears
I have helped some very seriously disturbed dogs get settled into new loving forever homes. Dogs are pretty simple creatures when you remove the complexities we create for them. They need stability, a place within a pack that they understand, food they dont have to compete for and somebody that loves and understands them

you cant force a dog to overcome its fears, it needs to be given the opportunity safely and given time to make a decision for itself. However, by being calm and assertive, the dog will look to you for leadership. By continuing to follow your plans and "bringing the dog along too", you show the dog there is no need to fear new situations

the alternative is you feed the dog's fears, just by saying to yourself " I cant so that because the dog wont like it". that would really limit your ability to live the life you want and your dogs deserve

as for losing skylights on your van, I guess they must be getting brittle with age. but a simple and quick job to get them replaced.

Ah a man who understands! Brilliant! Glad to meet you and thanks for your reply!
It's still a yes for Bagwell, and a quiet corner for us will be brilliant!! I need my beauty sleep even if Rocco doesn't! Lol

All my dogs over the years have been rescues from a couple of Great Danes slowly going down in size lol :) last was was a Jack Russell X who died last year aged 19years old! She had Degenerative Myopathy for best part of three years! A real sweetie!
All have had issues of some sort or another but as far as I'm concerned they come to me and start afresh with a new name, a new start, with a new and loving home with oodles of patience!

I do of course have to be aware of other people and their feelings, not to mention keeping out of law Courts! Lol but I also need everyone to understand if I calmly turn my back on them sometimes!

I will sort out some dates for you! Thanks SO much, it's such a relief to know you understand!!
I've tried letting my friends know 'Dog language' and a few does and don'ts and please don't kick the grass etc!! But ....... hey ho!
Cheers
Joy
:drinks:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@JoyJoy your best bet is to get yourself along to one of the meets/shows and stay with the funsters and you'll get lots and lots of advice and help, rather than us all guessing what you have/need etc ... you might even be able to 'wangle' some of the more hand-on funsters to do some stuff for you (hands-on your MH that is ... not you! :X3:).

There is still room at Kelso, weekend after next :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie

Just rereading your lovely msg re Rescue dogs ...... now I'm doubly blessed to find motorhomefun !! Help with my precious Rocco will be very gratefully received as is this you've already sent me!
I've only had him a few weeks and little rescue Poppy too!

Photos from last week on our first Away Trip! And one with Rocco and Max cat!
IMG_4819.JPG
IMG_4828.JPG
IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_4832.JPG
IMG_6789.JPG
IMG_4907.JPG
IMG_4908.JPG

Thanks So Much!
Joy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun