Help with Linux please (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I have a Dell Inspiration which runs Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon 32bit which I haven't used it for some time. When I went to use it there's a problem with the password. I THOUGHT I'd originally set it up with a blank password, but that doesn't work, neither do any of my usual passwords. The weird thing is that if I switch the laptop on from shut down it boots up and is usable without asking for a password. If however it goes to sleep. upon being woken it demands a password. Although the laptop is perfectly useable from switch on, it has become a problem since Update Manager wont let me update without the password.

Any suggestions?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I have a Dell Inspiration which runs Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon 32bit which I haven't used it for some time. When I went to use it there's a problem with the password. I THOUGHT I'd originally set it up with a blank password, but that doesn't work, neither do any of my usual passwords. The weird thing is that if I switch the laptop on from shut down it boots up and is usable without asking for a password. If however it goes to sleep. upon being woken it demands a password. Although the laptop is perfectly useable from switch on, it has become a problem since Update Manager wont let me update without the password.

Any suggestions?
Set a new password when you’ve logged in from Shutdown.
Root user can do that for other users with out knowing the old password.
Well, that’s the way around forgotten passwords in CENTOS 6/7
Edit. Commands entered from the CLI! I don’t get a GUI in my typical Lynux install 🤪

Deleted User
Can you change the settings in Power(?) to shut down instead of going to sleep?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Set a new password when you’ve logged in from Shutdown.
Root user can do that for other users with out knowing the old password.
Well, that’s the way around forgotten passwords in CENTOS 6/7
Edit. Commands entered from the CLI! I don’t get a GUI in my typical Lynux install 🤪
Sorry, I didn't really understand any of that. I think need fairly detailed instructions as to how to change the administrators password.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Sorry, I didn't really understand any of that. I think need fairly detailed instructions as to how to change the administrators password.
It was a description rather than a step by step guide.
Mostly so you'd either know how to interpret the info and solve your problem or ask for details.

What I described is simple if you're familiar with the command line of Linux & other OS.
I avoid logging in as root and usually temporarily elevate my usual user to issue config changes.

How to alter a none-root user's password without knowing the old password does need root privileges.
Have a look at these instructions.
Specifically the section with this paragraph:
If you are logged in as a root user, you can change the password of other system users by typing the passwd command followed by the name of the user whose password you want to change
What do you think? Does that look OK for you to try?

edit: Is root the user you've lost the password for? Oh!! HO, may need to find more instructions

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you've no data on it that you need (or can copy it off when you have access) just to a clean install of Mint Cinnamon 20.2 (the latest version and comes in a 32bit version if that's what you need) and when installing either leave password blank or insert one you'll remember.
Unless you've got loads of "non-standard" software on it it will only take half an hour or so to have it up running with latest version.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Any suggestions?

Sorry I missed this when you posted it originally. If you haven't sorted it out yet there is a simple way to fix this.

I was starting to type it all in, but thought someone must have posted a basic tutorial on how to do this.

Here it is. It is the main answer with images you should look at. It is really easy to do.

You can change any <username> password including root using this method.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
If you've no data on it that you need (or can copy it off when you have access) just to a clean install of Mint Cinnamon 20.2 (the latest version and comes in a 32bit version if that's what you need) and when installing either leave password blank or insert one you'll remember.
Unless you've got loads of "non-standard" software on it it will only take half an hour or so to have it up running with latest version.
This is what I ended up doing. The longest time was spent installing Opera, which I like for auto translate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back