Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Can anyone point me in the right direction.I am looking to upgrade my licence to c category so i can drive up to 7.5 tonnes,however as i am disabled i can't seem to find anyone that's willing to help me,as i have to have a medical,even though i have no interest in driving trucks and the motorhome i want is automatic.Does anyone know if it's possible to sit my test in a automatic motorhome,or do you have to do the whole yorkie eating trucker thing including roping etc.Thanks in advance Barry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Barry

You might have tried already but give nithcree training in Heathhall inds estate a phone and ask them as they do all sorts of training.

Gerry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as far as im aware it must be taken in a 7.5t flatbed truck usually supplied by the driver training school as there are certain size requirements, width, length etc...:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i think you will find the test can be in a vehicle with at least 4tonnes mam.and capable of speeds of at least 80kph.
best to do it through a driving school .you may have problems finding a school that will teach disabled. dont panic there are some.
you will only need c1 upto 7.5 .
if you need c1+e the vehicle must be 10tonnes and drawing a trailer of at least 2tonnes. combiation length atleast8 mtr.
best check with dvla. as i am looking at old info.
cheers alan.

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
i assume you passed your car test after 1997 or when ever it was the new laws on weights came in?

or is it your licence is restricted due to the disability?

wouldent have thought a medical would stop people teaching you to drive, you take it before the training starts, and you either pass it or you dont, and when anyone reaches 70 they need a medical every so often to keep the large vehicle catogories.

cant help with who to take a test with, but there has to be a way to do it, disability discrimination laws and all that, tho i can see not many people wanting to drive automatic trucks only, hence why most test centres will have manual trucks to use.

i may be talking out me bum here (tell me if i sound muffled, and i'll stand up :)
but when i last had any involvment with trucks, they were just bringing in the sequential gearboxes, i.e. you tap the gear lever to change up or down, no actual gate and stiring the stick about, but they still had a manual clutch.

have things changed to semi automatic trucks? kinda like my smart car, it's a manual box, but it's controlled electronicaly using an electric motor for gear change and a hydraulic servo for the clutch,

i looked at a 5 ton iveco daily once (for my base vehicle for the motorhome) that was clutchless, hydraulic clutch servo, big ecu under the drivers seat, but it still had the gated gearbox, and hence tons of sensors to detect you moving the gear stick to work the auto clutch, and that was it's downfall, iveco is italian, and we all know what italin vehicles electrics are like, the system was always going into lock out mode when one of the sensors connections corroded slightly, so they dropped the option in the end)

but this is assuming its just the clutch thing stopping you from doing the test, wonder if you can take a helper along to press the pedal down for you, maybe then they'll allow a helper to tell a blind person which way to steer ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
bazfergy

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi Barry

You might have tried already but give nithcree training in Heathhall inds estate a phone and ask them as they do all sorts of training.

Gerry

Hi gerry tried them but they weren't able to help as i need to use an auto gear box,thanks for the response though Barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
It's a bit far away from you but http://www.adtt.co.uk/index-4.html say
"Our LGV Course list covers everything from the basics to the most advanced LGV Training currently available

Courses are tailored to your needs and abilities, and we can cater for disabled drivers too."

It also might be worth contacting the Shaw Trust Link Removed. They exist to help disabled people get into work, so they might just know who would have the ability to train you ....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back