Help with importing (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I am looking at importing a second hand MH from Germany. I remember reading on some thread here that I can no longer find (!) that there are some companies that help with the process, first registration etc. I would be grateful for any advice on this, or a link to previous threads on the topic
Thanks

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
John Russell i have just done a little research and as far as I can see Poland do not do the same thing as Germany? Here’s a suggestion from some one on a forum that has done this with a car.
I would think it’s risky and would not advise it sorry

You'd be in a grey area of the law. You can buy the car under an umowa kupno-sprzedaz (buy-sell contract) and legally become the car owner. All cars in Poland must be insured at all times, so any car you buy must have insurance, and any policy is continued for 30 days upon sale to the new owner, so as long as you bought the car close to your trip to Talinn, that would be ok too.

The ex owner would de-register himself as the owner of the car, and that's where the grey area comes in. You're legally obliged to register yourself as the new car owner, but without all the Polish paperwork you need (residency, registered address, PESEL) you won't be able to do that. However, if your passport number is on the umowa, and you're stopped by the police, and you have the old owner's copy of the car docs, then you'll be fine with the Police - I drove my first car around like that for two years while I tried to get all the paperwork arranged legally, and the police didn't have any problems with it.

Just make sure the contract has a sale price of less than 900zl, so there's no tax due to the Polish authorities, and make sure the car is properly destroyed in Talinn; if you leave it on the side of the road, the police WILL come after you

Upvote 0

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I import mainly from France various vehicles, UK insurers are not able to insure technically EU bases vehicles, as a one off if you are more comfortable with comprehensive cover employ a EU based company to transport it to the UK. I registered a company in France and it bought the vehicle, transferred ownership in Dover. Then the UK insurance took over on the VIN.
As already said 10 years and over no Speedo or light change, merely deflectors, a great deal of headlamps are flat beam anyway and do not require even deflectors fitted. A little homework and is not difficult. However I share your concerns at only third party insurance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Speve Great thanks, that solves the problem. I knew it was available in Germany, but not Poland.

Got to wonder why the UK insurers can't do the same...

I'll get it UK-registered then it should be a lot simpler. Where can you buy the insurance - the local vehicle licensing office in Poland, online, or elsewhere?
Here’s a link that explains polish registration including export plates.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Back to post 2 (Speve) If buying a new motorhome, in say Germany, why can’t You just pay the German VAT rate and import it as a personal vehicle? The same as you would with buying anything in EEC Europe, pre Brexit. Or is that a really stupid question?
That’s what you do and then claim it back when you have paid UK vat but if vehicle is a used one I don’t think you pay vat?

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Speve Great thanks, that solves the problem. I knew it was available in Germany, but not Poland.

Got to wonder why the UK insurers can't do the same...

I'll get it UK-registered then it should be a lot simpler. Where can you buy the insurance - the local vehicle licensing office in Poland, online, or elsewhere?
AFAIK you cant register it in the UK without an MOT and you can only get that in the UK.

The NFU are separate little businesses Why don't you give my NFU office a call, If you want I will pm you the details.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
John Russell i have just done a little research and as far as I can see Poland do not do the same thing as Germany? Here’s a suggestion from some one on a forum that has done this with a car.
I would think it’s risky and would not advise it sorry

You'd be in a grey area of the law. You can buy the car under an umowa kupno-sprzedaz (buy-sell contract) and legally become the car owner. All cars in Poland must be insured at all times, so any car you buy must have insurance, and any policy is continued for 30 days upon sale to the new owner, so as long as you bought the car close to your trip to Talinn, that would be ok too.

The ex owner would de-register himself as the owner of the car, and that's where the grey area comes in. You're legally obliged to register yourself as the new car owner, but without all the Polish paperwork you need (residency, registered address, PESEL) you won't be able to do that. However, if your passport number is on the umowa, and you're stopped by the police, and you have the old owner's copy of the car docs, then you'll be fine with the Police - I drove my first car around like that for two years while I tried to get all the paperwork arranged legally, and the police didn't have any problems with it.

Just make sure the contract has a sale price of less than 900zl, so there's no tax due to the Polish authorities, and make sure the car is properly destroyed in Talinn; if you leave it on the side of the road, the police WILL come after you

I'm maybe missing something but the last paragraph is a bit alarming

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm maybe missing something but the last paragraph is a bit alarming
Yes I think he was assuming it was only being bought for a holiday and then being disposed of🤔

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Here’s a company that may be able to help.

Thanks for that...it looks like potentially what I am looking for.....depending on further investigation

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for that...it looks like potentially what I am looking for.....depending on further investigation
Hope you get it sorted without to much expense and hassle? Good luck🤞🤞🤞

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Kilroy 'Is there a company...'

I have a couple of forms sent to me by the DVLA last year.

Drill is bring the van over, report to HMRC on Nova, get MoT, fill out V55/5 form and send to DVLA with EU registration documents, insurance cover note, copy of driving licence and cheque.

The paperwork is the easy bit, no?

Btw since the UK is in the transition period, Vat and import/export regs aren't your problem. It's a single market until 31 December 2020.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Speve

'That’s what you do and then claim it back when you have paid UK vat but if vehicle is a used one I don’t think you pay vat?'

The UK is still in the single market so there's no Vat on import from EU to UK. As for German Vat, that's paid by the German vendor and they could reclaim it if exporting. But not within the EU, and the purchaser can't reclaim it.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Speve

'That’s what you do and then claim it back when you have paid UK vat but if vehicle is a used one I don’t think you pay vat?'

The UK is still in the single market so there's no Vat on import from EU to UK. As for German Vat, that's paid by the German vendor and they could reclaim it if exporting. But not within the EU, and the purchaser can't reclaim it.
That must have been changed recently as in 2018 we paid German VAT and then paid UK VAT and then claimed it back from dealer after sending proof of payment to UK.
Incidentally we gained a nice little sum on that transaction.😊

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Kilroy 'Is there a company...'

I have a couple of forms sent to me by the DVLA last year.

Drill is bring the van over, report to HMRC on Nova, get MoT, fill out V55/5 form and send to DVLA with EU registration documents, insurance cover note, copy of driving licence and cheque.

The paperwork is the easy bit, no?

Btw since the UK is in the transition period, Vat and import/export regs aren't your problem. It's a single market until 31 December 2020.
Hands up.....I am phobic about the paperwork..... stories on here of DVLA 'losing' paperwork or other unexpected hassles. I'll have to possibly get over myself with that! Thanks for the roadmap

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
That must have been changed recently as in 2018 we paid German VAT and then paid UK VAT and then claimed it back from dealer after sending proof of payment to UK.
Incidentally we gained a nice little sum on that transaction.😊
Our experience was the same as yours, when we imported new from Germany in 2015.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Speve You're quite right, and I guess it must have been new... Sorry the idea of buying new didn't cross my mind!

'VAT is usually only charged on vehicles that are new. A vehicle is new if either:
  • it’s been driven less than 6,000km (about 3,728 miles)
  • it’s been in use for no more than 6 months'
Kilroy I'd copy anything I post the DVLA and can't afford to lose such as my driving licence. They have been known to drop entitlements.

Then give it a go. You'll impress yourself!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Speve You're quite right, and I guess it must have been new... Sorry the idea of buying new didn't cross my mind!

'VAT is usually only charged on vehicles that are new. A vehicle is new if either:
Kilroy I'd copy anything I post the DVLA and can't afford to lose such as my driving licence. They have been known to drop entitlements.

:LOL::LOL: yeah!...in the meantime I have just acquainted myself with hmrc Nova and other related forms on the UK gov website...in fairness, it doesn't look too convoluted........ I might indeed impress myself ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:LOL::LOL: yeah!...in the meantime I have just acquainted myself with hmrc Nova and other related forms on the UK gov website...in fairness, it doesn't look too convoluted........ I might indeed impress myself ;)
Go for it I’m no office accountant and managed without any trouble.🤞😊

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
I finally got a reply from the dealer and it looks like the solution is similar to Speve's suggestion.

They will sell me the van with an invoice as proof of ownership, leaving 30 days EU third-party insurance on it which I can use to get it back for an MoT in the UK and registration. I'll drive on their plates and have the Polish registration documents.

The DVLA will accept an invoice as proof of ownership and the original foreign registration as proof of the date of manufacture.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I finally got a reply from the dealer and it looks like the solution is similar to Speve's suggestion.

They will sell me the van with an invoice as proof of ownership, leaving 30 days EU third-party insurance on it which I can use to get it back for an MoT in the UK and registration. I'll drive on their plates and have the Polish registration documents.

The DVLA will accept an invoice as proof of ownership and the original foreign registration as proof of the date of manufacture.

Did they really tell you that?

If they had said a receipted invoice or a receipt, I could have understood, but if they really meant just an invoice, without attendant proof that it has been paid, they are even more stupid than I gave them credit for.

The scammers could be all over them - Oh, they probably are already.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The scammers could be all over them - Oh, they probably are already.

Geoff

I don't think they need any outside help Geoff they can get it wrong all by themselves.

having said that the pleasant lady Ive been dealing with has sorted mine out.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
nicholsong https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

"Extra supporting documents for imported vehicles
You must send the following original documents:
  • proof of vehicle approval
  • form V267 (sometimes called the ‘declaration of newness’) if you’re registering a new vehicle
  • evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected, for example the invoice from the supplier
  • the original foreign registration certificate to show when the vehicle was manufactured (you will not get this back)"

Upvote 0

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp

Playing devils advocate here, how about if you bought new in Germany, paid the German VAT, THEN BEFORE you arrived back in the UK drove more than 3728 miles on the temporary German registration (It’s a big country) wouldn’t it no longer be a ‘new vehicle’

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Playing devils advocate here, how about if you bought new in Germany, paid the German VAT, THEN BEFORE you arrived back in the UK drove more than 3728 miles on the temporary German registration (It’s a big country) wouldn’t it no longer be a ‘new vehicle’
IMHO Not worth the risk on third party plates insurance they are only intended to give you a chance to get registration and the correct insurance sorted.😊

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
nicholsong https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

• form V267 (sometimes called the ‘declaration of newness’) if you’re registering a new vehicle
  • evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected, for example the invoice from the supplier
  • the original foreign registration certificate to show when the vehicle was manufactured (you will not get this back)"
I might be missing something here but IMO the proof of vehicle approval is not required for vehicles over 10 years old.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I might be missing something here but IMO the proof of vehicle approval is not required for vehicles over 10 years old.

jongood Correct, the Certificate of Conformity isn't needed for vehicles over 10 years old.

For info the European Type Approval system only came into effect on a compulsoy basis on 29th April 2012 and voluntarily 2 years before (2010). See

so a 8 or 9 year vehicle may, but did not have to have, a Type Cert.

I think DVLA should be specifying a date rather than saying '10 years'

Geoff

See

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

That only gives an example of the invoice being evidence of date of collection., nothing about proof of ownership.

How they think date of invoicing, which might have been done two weeks before to ensure payment, is proof of collection or why they need info on collection is totally unclear to me.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back