Help with importing (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I am looking at importing a second hand MH from Germany. I remember reading on some thread here that I can no longer find (!) that there are some companies that help with the process, first registration etc. I would be grateful for any advice on this, or a link to previous threads on the topic
Thanks

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I was shocked to find that in Poland one pays VAT on secondhand vehicles, but did not know it applied to Germany as well - are you sure CC?

Geoff
I meant a secondhand van purchased from Germany will have had the VAT paid by the original buyer, nothing to pay if imported to the UK, think it has to be at least 6 months old and 4’000klm on the clock.
Any new vans imported will have to have UK 20% VAT.
Just imported mine and paid the UK tax and waiting to get the 16% German tax I also paid.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I don't see how you can do that, under EU rules VAT has to be paid in the country of registration. Not possible to register a vehicle in the UK without a NOVA reference & to get that you have to pay UK VAT.

Probably secondhand Lenny?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I was shocked to find that in Poland one pays VAT on secondhand vehicles, but did not know it applied to Germany as well - are you sure CC?

Geoff

cannot see why you would need to pay VAT on a 2nd hand vehicle, if the 1st owner had already paid VAT when new.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
cannot see why you would need to pay VAT on a 2nd hand vehicle, if the 1st owner had already paid VAT when new.

Why? Because the Polish law says so, that's why.

Plus .excise duty' on imports, which has been deemed legal by the EU Court, because it is not 'Import Duty', which would be against EU law. Go figure.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
My mates been buying parts online from Germany, as have I ,& all is being shown as " 16% vat" included.
Part are probably different, I use to buy spares for my American cars from the States and only pay the local tax most times did get caught out a few times and had to pay UK tax but the place I bought from would put $20-30 on the customs declaration and sometimes there was 20 times that worth😁

Different ballgame with a new van that needs registration as you cannot get to the DVLA stage until you have paid the VAT.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Why? Because the Polish law says so, that's why.

Plus .excise duty' on imports, which has been deemed legal by the EU Court, because it is not 'Import Duty', which would be against EU law. Go figure.

Geoff

I have just checked with my source of that information on vat on secondhand sales and there was a mistake inhouse on translation between us; tax on secondhand does apply; it is not VAT but the 'excise duty' on imports, whether new or secondhand, but not one that would apply to secondhand imports in most countries.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back