Help with heating and hot water (1 Viewer)

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
Please can anybody help.I am at screaming point.Away in Autotrail 740s in Scotland.Heating and Water have been working fine.Then yesterday it packed up, no green light on control panel tried it on hook up no yellow light.Checked fuses by door,checked fuses in PSU all ok.Everything else is working fine.Luckily we have Diesel heating but no hot water.Look forward to hearing from somebody.Thanks.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi Watky, welcome.

i think youll need to provide a bit more detail on, type of heater? is it both gas and electric operation that have failed?

good luck

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
See you Nanook, did it by any chance freeze and dump the water from the hot tank?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
Truma boiler Eh603.Thankyou for replying so quick.It did not dump water.It as been quiet mild so it's not frozen.I am new to posting threads and am not sure if I am doing this right.Why have I got a blue envelope on my post?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Truma boiler Eh603.Thankyou for replying so quick.It did not dump water.It as been quiet mild so it's not frozen.I am new to posting threads and am not sure if I am doing this right.Why have I got a blue envelope on my post?

Hi Watky and welcome to the forum :thumb:

Blue on a thread indicates you have posted in the thread :Smile:

Sooo, is it both electric and gas that has died a death.. ??

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Don't know if that's the same as ours but our Truma occasionally throws a wobbly even with all the lights on, gas or electric or both, no hot water and no heating even when it's been working ok. Last time I pressed a green reset button on the top of the Truma housing although I don't think it actually moved. Worked ok after that. :Confused:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

6 degrees is enough for the Truma safety valve to open, it doesnt need to be so cold and it could easily still reach that temp during the night, worth checking it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And just to confirm ( sorry.. I am using up all your free posts but**... ) the water is coming out the taps ok ? Inc hot water taps but obviously not hot water ! )

If it is, save a post and do not reply cos we will all know its not water related at all :thumb:

** you get five free posts then have to become a full member to continue posting .. Proly be the best tenner you ever spend mind you :winky: :thumb: )

OP
OP
W

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
No valve not open.i have just checked that.

Ours does not have a green button it as a red button on side.Pressed that but it doesn't seem to move when you touch it.

Help!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds somewhat like the supply has blown a fuse or the fuse on the truma control board has blown

OP
OP
W

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
I have a thought checked all fuses,and they are all ok.

Could it be on the panel above the door,Would there be a fuse behind there? Sorry for sounding so vague but I am olderrrrrr lady with a disabled husband,so it's up to me to get things back on track.Thanks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
ive seen a few fuse holders hidden behind the control panel. the truma control board is part of the heater

if you are getting NO lights on the controller either on gas or ehu, which is what it sounds like, the heater/hw is not getting 12v power. ideally you need a voltmeter/multimeter to check voltages. perfectly easy diy if you know how but can be daunting otherwise

OP
OP
W

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
No fuses behind control panel got that off.Do not have a vault meter and if I had wouldn't know how to use it. Gosh am I stressed with this.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Where are you at the moment, there may be a funster nearby who could offer practical help.

OP
OP
W

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
We are at Tarbert on the Quay.Thanks But Motorhomes are a bit thin on the ground,not many about.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Done a bit of digging for you.. I do not think this will be a lot of help but..................

A question has been asked elsewhere:

Can anyone help we have a truma C control panel on our van but can not get heating with either gas or electric, red light comes on any suggestions please I have also read there was a recall for these ours is 2007 model

And the reply ( although a different MH all remains the same for yours )

I believe your motorhome is fitted with a Truma C-6002EH appliance.

It might be helpful to have a little more background. For instance, whether the heater has been operating satisfactorily since the motorhome was new and has suddenly developed this problem, or (perhaps) you've recently bought the Bolero and find you can't get the heater to work.

Truma produces a C-6002EH Operating Instructions leaflet (which you really ought to have) that includes a trouble-shooting list. There are a number of possible 'external' causes for the heater control-panel's red monitor lamp to come on when the appliance is operated on gas - the heater's air intake may be blocked, there may be air in the motorhome's gas pipework, the gas-bottle has not been turned on, the gas regulator has developed a fault, etc. Such problems are usually easily corrected. Alternatively, if the red monitor lamp's illumination is due to an 'internal' problem - say failure of an electronic component on a printed-circuit board, a failed gas solenoid-valve, or failed gas-ignitors - then the heater will need workshop attention.

There is nothing in the C-6002EH Operating Instructions leaflet about the control-panel's red monitor lamp coming on when the heater is operated solely on 230V. (As I'm sure you are aware, it's possible to operate a C-6002EH solely on gas, solely on 230V, or on a combination of gas and 230V.) Perhaps your heater's red lamp only illuminates when the appliance is operated solely on gas or on a gas/230V combination?

This Truma heater is complicated (my own motorhome has one) with two control-panels and a pair of inter-linked electronic circuit boards. As your problem apparently spans gas and 230V operation, I'm tempted to think the fault lies with the circuit boards, as much as anything because that's often the case with C-Series heaters. But that's just a guess and I'd really need to see your heater playing up to gain a firmer idea of what it's doing.

(In my experience, it seems possible to 'confuse' a C-6002EH heater by moving the control-panel's switches too rapidly and this can result in the red monitor light illuminating. I don't believe this has anything to do with your problem - I just mention it in case anyone else has experienced it.)

You refer to the Truma C-Series heater recall that took place a while ago. This was to replace the heater's whole upper section and blown-air fan-unit of a large batch of appliances that could potentially overheat. My 2005-made C-6002EH heater required the safety-related modifications, but I'm near certain that a 2007 appliance will have been factory-fitted with the upgraded parts and will not have needed recalling. Besides which, the type of problem you've got at present and the type of problem that the recall targeted aren't really connected.

(There is a remote possibility that, although your Bolero is a 2007 model, its Truma heater is significantly older and would thus fall within the recall framework. I believe the Serial Numbers of C-6002EH appliances affected by the recall ran from C EH603-A-15 329 001 to C EH603-A-17 159 000. If you contact Truma(UK) and tell them your heater's Serial Number, they should be able to confirm whether or not it needed recall work.)

Truma's warranty is described in the Operating Instruction leaflet. It normally runs for 48 months from when a motorhome is sold retail. Outside Germany, it does not cover ancillary costs like transportation, travelling expenses, etc. It also does not cover costs incurred for complicated removal/replacing of a heating appliance (ie. Truma won't fork out if half the motorhome needs to be dismantled to get at the heater). I think a Bolero will have a Swift-provided 3-year conversion warranty, but I'm not sure if that covers the Truma heater. Whatever the case, it would be sensible to get the problem expertly diagnosed without delay, while one or other of the warranties is still valid, as repairs to Truma C-series heaters can be very expensive.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sorry but without the basics like a meter it is very hard to diagnose the fault and fix it. for instance some fuses blow but still look to be good, so a visual only check wont really help.

all i can suggest is that you find somewhere local tomorrow with a dealership or auto electrician if there is nobody local to you that can possibly help. in the meantime there is always heating water the old way (Kettle or saucepan) and cold showers. we all survived camping this way not that many years ago

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
this is a local garage, who may be able to help
Sharp's Garage, Churchill Quarry, Campbeltown Road, Tarbert, Argyll, PA29 6SX. Telephone: 01880 820006

no guarantees though and being in pretty much the middle of nowhere does have disadvantages

another option
Bruce Harris Electrical, 12 Garval Terrace, Tarbert, Argyll, PA29 6TS. All types of electrical work undertaken: house, industrial, commercial, total control electric heating, also electric wet central heating boilers supplied and fitted. No job is too small and we have 24-hour callouts. Contact Telephone: 01880 820530, Fax: 01880 820530, Mobile: 07771648217 or email for free quotations

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
Thank you.I will go in the morning and see what I can make out.What a pain,yes all my flasks filled with hot water.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as Big1 said, a visual check may not be enough....sometimes the fuse can blow very close to the end of the link and cant be easily seen.
NEVER replace with a higher rated fuse...alway use the same as the blown one....they are universally colour coded.

In the absence of a volt meter simply replace the fuse and see what happens, assuming you have spare fuses.
If not its wise to buy a few different rated ones.

If it blows you may see the break in the fuse this time.

Last edited:

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
No valve not open.i have just checked that.

Ours does not have a green button it as a red button on side.Pressed that but it doesn't seem to move when you touch it.

Help!

Just a thought the button is behind a red slider plate on the boiler you are lifting this and not pushing on the slider

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just a thought the button is behind a red slider plate on the boiler you are lifting this and not pushing on the slider

Also not sure of the age of your Truma safety valve but my new one confused me (doesn't tale much) as the button was hidden behind it as well as having a twist top switch (tap) on it… one to remember after Winter storage:Doh:

OP
OP
W

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
Good morning all.
I have this morning had the guy in Tarbert look at fuses with vault meter and all is o.k. On that score.the only box which we can't get into after reading the Truma instruction book is at the side of the boiler.?How on earth you take that box off with out taking boiler out I do not Know its a C 6002 EH Boiler on the instruction manual it is figure 12.I have been in touch with Trail West in Oban.So it seems that is now my only Option.
I would like to thank you all for trying to help me.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
There should be two 'boxes' on the side of the boiler... One where the red button is and one opposite with the electricity feed to the boiler entering it. The pcb is in that one.. If you take the thin top cover off then the large cover off.. (I believe it's just two screws..) Then you will see two slow burn fuses near the bottom.. Check/change them.

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
There should be two 'boxes' on the side of the boiler... One where the red button is and one opposite with the electricity feed to the boiler entering it. The pcb is in that one.. If you take the thin top cover off then the large cover off.. (I believe it's just two screws..) Then you will see two slow burn fuses near the bottom.. Check/change them.

is this the same for all trumas?

OP
OP
W

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
Thanks I am now going to try and see if I can do that.a wait my reply.

OP
OP
W

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
Got screws out but they have put the boiler next to the diving panel which makes it impossible to get it off.you can not get the lid off it at all.

OP
OP
W

Watky

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
Should read dividing panel not diving.It means taking all the bed frame off as I see it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back