Help with drafts in a PVC (1 Viewer)

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
We just come back from a great weekend in Moreton in Marsh. Went last Thursday and came back yesterday. The weather was fantastic, clear cold and frosty and was an excellent test of how our van works in the cold weather. I think Saturday night got down to -6.

The van performed really well on hookup. I did take precautions. The waste was left open, a small oil filled radiator placed in the cab area. Dashboard vents closed, silver screens on, roof vents left slightly open. Ventilation was good, no obvious condensation.

The big slidey door has to be opened and closed quickly to retain heat and as I’ve now given up smoking (7 months now!!) it has drastically reduced the times I need to exit the van.

Our van is a IH front lounge, 18 months old on a Fiat 2015 base. Our bed when made is in the centre of the van with our heads immediately behind the drivers and passenger seats. There is quite a draft hitting our heads when in bed at night which appears to be coming from two different areas.

1. The seat belt column where the belt feeds out at the bottom
2. From underneath both the passenger and driver’s seat

I’ve quickly looked underneath the van and cannot see any obvious ventilation holes which could explain this. There are a few small holes which look more for drainage then ventilation. If it helps I’ll post up some photos later.

Has anybody come across the same problem and how did you address it? I’ve done a search and can find reference to ventilation holes beneath Fiats, but these all relate to older Fiats.

Thanks in advance

Cheers Alan

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Not a problem I personally have @aldhp21 but am aware that friends who have coachbuilt vans have a similar problem. Their solution is to attach a blanket right accross the van to attempt to seal off the cab from the rest of the unit. Not sure if this would work on your IH, but it has made a significant improvement to them. Doesn't address the cause but definately helps with the issue!

Last edited:

Deleted User
We have a similar draught in our Globecar but we are on the Algarve and +4 is a cold night so it not such a problem, I suspect that some form of curtain would be the easiest, if not the only, way to cure the problem.

I think it is a problem with the base vehicle which starts off life as a commercial van and sealing the cab area is not seen as a priority in commercial vehicles.

I will be very interested also if any one has a better solution.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've noticed a significant 'cold'spot' around the driver's feet, when driving. The passenger side is fine with the heater on, but in the driving seat get really cold feet and lower leg. Don't know if it is a cold draft or ineffective heater - but only apparent in this freezing weather. Oh, and Mrs mikebeaches has complained as much as me when she's driving.

I've had a cursory look around underneath but can't see anywhere obvious where the draft might be coming from?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hope you don't mind replies that are not too serious but have you tried chess? :D

Wyn

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'll be interested to discover if my incoming WildAx has similar draught issues - it's built on a Citroen Relay base, as opposed to Fiat (similar I know) + WildAx are very proud of their insulation & heating capabilities...
"Winterisation - In Feb 2014 WildAx Motorhomes asked Truma UK to independently test our models for winterisation and insulation AND...We passed at the highest level possible gaining Grade 3 winterisation! This means that our motorhomes have been tested down to -15 deg C- so, they have the highest possible level of insulation and winterisation. The test involves cooling the motorhome to -15 deg overnight then operating the motorhome heater to warm the interior to +20 deg. This must be achieved in under 4 hours. We did it in 3 hours 21 min!"

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm getting a WildAx on a Fiat base, with the same promises made with regard to insulation. AFAIK the base vehicles are actually the same, but mine will have the robotised gearbox so hopefully that won't involve any extra gaps for drafts to come in!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
There are some older threads on draughts in the original cab on the x250. Setting ventilation to recirculation has been said to help. There are holes below the cab that you can get blanking plates for. If it is particularly cold we deploy the curtains which sue changed to floor length. With the seats turned around it pretty much removes all draughts.
(We also have ventilation vents in the footwell to the hab door that we close off in winter).

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm getting a WildAx on a Fiat base, with the same promises made with regard to insulation. AFAIK the base vehicles are actually the same, but mine will have the robotised gearbox so hopefully that won't involve any extra gaps for drafts to come in!
Interesting - I didn't know WildAx did Fiats - just mention Citroens & Renaults.
But I guess being a small(ish) converter, they can pretty much do whatever the customer wants.
Why did you want a Fiat particularly - was it for the Comfomatic Gearbox?
Even though I've ordered & paid the deposit, I doubt the vehicle has actually been ordered yet. Due beginning of May, such a long time to wait :(.

I'm probably schlepping up the A1 on Saturday [28th] as they have an Open Day. Maybe I'll ask about draughts.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are vents in the floor under the seat bases. lift the mats and use duct tape to seal them. there are vents in the doors, again duct tape. the seat belt points open into an open channel, this you can squeeze a piece of foam, not absorbent sponge, in to reduce the draft

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Interesting - I didn't know WildAx did Fiats - just mention Citroens & Renaults.
But I guess being a small(ish) converter, they can pretty much do whatever the customer wants.
Why did you want a Fiat particularly - was it for the Comfomatic Gearbox?
Even though I've ordered & paid the deposit, I doubt the vehicle has actually been ordered yet. Due beginning of May, such a long time to wait :(.

I'm probably schlepping up the A1 on Saturday [28th] as they have an Open Day. Maybe I'll ask about draughts.
You're right, they don't have an agreement with Fiat, but you're right again, I wanted the Comfortmatic (well, any automatic would do), so I decided to bite the bullet & cough up the extra.
Mine is also due May, but they reckoned they actually had to order the vehicle way back when I paid the deposit.
It'd be interesting to hear what they have to say about draughts. Pity I can't get to the Open Day - it would have been extremely useful! as I have lots of questions for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back