Free Member
May 25, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia A class
Exp
looking to buy
Hi everyone, we are both getting rather fed up with our Frankia as things keep going wrong. Currently when traveling from Scotland to Warrington by Frankia started going into limp mode as the thermostat was getting high then it would return to normal temp and power would return. So after slowly making my way to Warrington I let the motor cool. On checking the header tank I fount it was empty. I refilled and ran the engine for an hour, I couldn’t see any water drips or steam anywhere. The heater was working fine and all seemed ok. As a precaution I checked the engine oil in case ther was water everything ok. However when I got home the header tank level he’d gon from max to min. This happened within 200miles, we had cam belt and water pump replaced when we purchased last September. Would be grateful for any advice. The Moho has a warrenty with NG&B but it doesn’t cover a heater matrix which, I think it might be. I forgot to mention it is a Fiat Ducato 2.8 regards to all Lou

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Does your van have Alde wet heating with the pre engine heating matrix I’d check the inline pump as mine had a very slight leak which meant I was loosing engine coolant.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I had a 2004 Hymer losing water , I could smell hot antifreeze. It turned out there's a long steel pipe that runs across the top of the engine with rubber pipe both ends and the pipe was cracked. £127.00 for new pipe. Had it brazed for the cost of a drink, never had a problem with it again. I believe this is a fairly common fault.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

lucas70

Free Member
May 25, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia A class
Exp
looking to buy
Thanks everyone for your input. It’s a 2004, and has only done 3000miles since cam belt , water pump air oil and fuel filters renewed plus service. I don’t know when the leak started but have topped up the header tank twice in that mileage, the last time was the worst. Definitely no oil in the sump. It is going in to be pressure tested on Tuesday so hopefully the problem won’t be to expensive? Regards to alll Lou

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Check for leaks around the (high pressure side of the) water pump with the engine running.
If you're losing coolant, it must be going somewhere.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Have you given your hoses a good look over? We had a water leak last year while wandering through France, temp gauge shot up near limousin, header tank empty.

No leak visible when I managedto pull over so refilled the system, sucked my stomach in and prayed for the best, 20 miles later overheating again.

Crawled underneath and found a rad hose had been crimped up badly in the past and had cut through the lower pipe from rad to engine but only leaked when the engine was flexing under load.

Managed to limp to the nearest àire and when the rain abated the next day I cut off the damaged section of hose and reconnected the hose, filled with coolant and it's it's been a good'un for the last several thousand miles.

Hymie

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Might be the one with a leak? 🥕🥕Couldn’t find a leek so you have carrots 😂😂😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7871
No, wasn’t overly impressed with the condition or the cigarette smell.

brought a Dethleffs from same dealer which was parked next to the Frankia and we decided to have a nose inside for curiosity sake and lo and behold ended up buying it 🤣👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back