Help with choice between these motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Considering buying a roller team 785 or a benimar mileo 294, both 2016 models.

Other option is an older Adria Coral 670, I don't mind a slightly older motorhome if the build quality is better with the Adria.
Any one have or had one of these, or anyone with any thoughts on which is better quality/better buy? Thanks

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We have an Adria 670 SLT from new for the past 9 years.
hope we manage to keep ours for as long as that !! we also love our 670 SLT.

currently adding a few extras, additional leisure battery, B2B, inverter, microwave and next year satellite dish and solar !

(tin hat on ready for the overload comments)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
you could always see if any Funster lives nearby and could take a quick look and report back? (most funsters love looking around other peoples motorhomes LOL)

where is the motorhome? i would be happy take a look if its not too far away and as we also have the 670 SLT (2018) we can compare it to ours to see how well it has 'aged'

when we sold our last motorhome privately, we did a whatsapp video call to the interested buyer and were able to show them anything they wanted to look at in real time, so they could ask questions - we found that better than just making a video of the things we thought they may want to see and they felt happier because they could look at the motorhome in much more detail - perhaps they would do the same for you?

12 hour round trip isnt that bad, if youre getting what you want and you want to be sure. its a lot of money to spend, so the more time you take in choosing what suits you will be time well spent.
Really appreciate the offer but I see your in Essex, we're in Bournemouth and the two Adria vans we've sen are both in Yorkshire unfortunately.

We just need to look around one to see if they are a possibility, I'm still considering whether to go up Friday and stop over, make a couple of days of it.

The only downside with the Coral is the fact we'd be taking 2 grandkids occasionally who are still very young and I believe the from seat area only makes up a single bed?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
how big are the grandkids? our SLT actually has an electric drop down double bed over the dining area aswell as the two singles in the back. it wouldnt take a lot of imagination to sort out extra sleeping space between the two singles, but it would restrict the door to the bathroom across the back,

the lounge/dining area also makes up into a bed though i would say its a small double/large single, so depending on the age/size of the grandchildren it might work for a while - though that isnt prob what you want !!

we also take our grandchildren and the drop down electric bed is brilliant for us as we hate making up beds with cushions. i would add though that because the two back singles are on the same level as the rest of the van, it makes them useable as extra sitting areas if we have 'visitors'

downsides to our van is would have preferred to have the full thetford oven and top (with electric hob) and a microwave (now fitted) - other than that minor issue, we think its a perfect fit for us, though of course nothing is ever perfect, but with a couple more tweaks it will be as close as we are ever going to get it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
how big are the grandkids? our SLT actually has an electric drop down double bed over the dining area aswell as the two singles in the back. it wouldnt take a lot of imagination to sort out extra sleeping space between the two singles, but it would restrict the door to the bathroom across the back,

the lounge/dining area also makes up into a bed though i would say its a small double/large single, so depending on the age/size of the grandchildren it might work for a while - though that isnt prob what you want !!

we also take our grandchildren and the drop down electric bed is brilliant for us as we hate making up beds with cushions. i would add though that because the two back singles are on the same level as the rest of the van, it makes them useable as extra sitting areas if we have 'visitors'

downsides to our van is would have preferred to have the full thetford oven and top (with electric hob) and a microwave (now fitted) - other than that minor issue, we think its a perfect fit for us, though of course nothing is ever perfect, but with a couple more tweaks it will be as close as we are ever going to get it.
The grandkids are only 2 and 4 so quite small at the moment, so I wondered for the odd time they come If they could fit on the made up seats at the front.

The drop down bed is what we like about the roller team and benimar. The drop down bed in the roller team we saw yesterday could be moved to any height which was good. My wife was sat in the back whilst I was driving it and was more aware of the squeaks and rattles, not sure if that was just the norm or the fact the oven shelfs were in place and no tea towels etc were in place anywhere to reduce the noise. I need to test drive an Adria or different van to see if if it was just the norm or worse than others. A friend had a roller team and he did say it was quite noisy in comparison to a bessacarr he drove.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I wonder how many of these ' I have no issues with payload' have ever actually had the van weighed whilst fully loaded?
Just to counter that point, one of the first things I did before our first extended trip was to weigh it fully loaded for 2, full fuel and water and the dog. It was 20kgs short of 3500kgs.
Later, I added a double bike rack and 2 electric bikes so did the paper exercise to up plate to 3500kgs.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Was that a 2012, the two I've seen available are 2012 and 2013. The layout looks like what we are looking for, I'd love to look at one, unfortunately they are both 6 hour drives away.

Are the single beds a decent length, I'm 6' 2". The roller team ones I saw today were a good length, big enough for me.
6 hours is nothing isn’t it when looking for such an important purchase

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
The grandkids are only 2 and 4 so quite small at the moment, so I wondered for the odd time they come If they could fit on the made up seats at the front.

The drop down bed is what we like about the roller team and benimar. The drop down bed in the roller team we saw yesterday could be moved to any height which was good. My wife was sat in the back whilst I was driving it and was more aware of the squeaks and rattles, not sure if that was just the norm or the fact the oven shelfs were in place and no tea towels etc were in place anywhere to reduce the noise. I need to test drive an Adria or different van to see if if it was just the norm or worse than others. A friend had a roller team and he did say it was quite noisy in comparison to a bessacarr he drove.
they would def fit on the made up bed in the front for 2 or 3 years, our 6 year old (tall lad) would be ok for another couple of years and his younger sister is fine for a bit longer. BUT its a big purchase and its always best to 'future proof' if you can. we also considered a Roller Team but saw the Adria 670 SLT with drop down bed, so never pursued it further. The automatic gearbox also helped in making the decision.

Simon-Alan Kerr is a motorhome dealer on here, he is a really decent bloke and he might be able to help you source what youre looking for - its well worth asking him? there are prob other dealers but i have no experience of dealing with them.

as for the rattles, they ALL rattle - its not normally the motorhome itself, its the stuff we put in them ! (though some of the higher end ones might not ...?)

Phill D - i assume you rated it higher than 3500kg? i would be interested to learn more about the process, cost etc - when we need new tyres i was thinking of investigating it further ....

Dutch 68 - fully agree, its worth taking a few trips in my opinion, you learn something new about what you need, want or like everytime you look at buying a new van - a long journey might not get you the van you want, but gets you closer to knowing what would work - we were against single beds for a few years and actually wanted an Adamo with island bed (and drop down electric bed) but after seeing the Adria we realised that single beds would work just as well, if not better ...

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
they would def fit on the made up bed in the front for 2 or 3 years, our 6 year old (tall lad) would be ok for another couple of years and his younger sister is fine for a bit longer. BUT its a big purchase and its always best to 'future proof' if you can. we also considered a Roller Team but saw the Adria 670 SLT with drop down bed, so never pursued it further. The automatic gearbox also helped in making the decision.

Simon-Alan Kerr is a motorhome dealer on here, he is a really decent bloke and he might be able to help you source what youre looking for - its well worth asking him? there are prob other dealers but i have no experience of dealing with them.

as for the rattles, they ALL rattle - its not normally the motorhome itself, its the stuff we put in them ! (though some of the higher end ones might not ...?)

Phill D - i assume you rated it higher than 3500kg? i would be interested to learn more about the process, cost etc - when we need new tyres i was thinking of investigating it further ....

Dutch 68 - fully agree, its worth taking a few trips in my opinion, you learn something new about what you need, want or like everytime you look at buying a new van - a long journey might not get you the van you want, but gets you closer to knowing what would work - we were against single beds for a few years and actually wanted an Adamo with island bed (and drop down electric bed) but after seeing the Adria we realised that single beds would work just as well, if not better ...
I had finger trouble in my last post the paperwork up plate was to 3650kgs from 3500kgs.
I tried it myself using the DVLA advice and forms that are on line.
It was tortureus so I eventually went to SvTech for support. They took my already completed forms added a covering note and bingo job done. As I had done all the work they only charged me a nominal fee.
No uprating of tyres or air assist needed for the Extra 150kgs.
Just before the first lockdown I fitted air assist to the rear and as I needed tyres went for 225x15s which will allow me to upgrade further if I need.
I would advise that with DVLA operating the way they are that you get one of the upgrade companies to get it right first time.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I have an Adria Coral 660.

used-adria-coral-660-sp-motorhome-u200455_002.jpg

This is not mine!

Bought second hand about four years ago.

Fitted a refillable gas system changed little else.

Well happy with it.

Only one area of issues has been the habitation electrics. The electrobox had a few failures but seemed to be cured by having the electrobox removed and refurbished at;

Also some other components of the habitation electric have played up, once again stripped out an refurbished at Apuljack.

All work done and organised by Mullacott Caravans.

I can't add much more but if you have any direct questions, ask away.

The van is kept in Cardiff if you want to visit and chat or compare.

ToM

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking

I'm sure as you say we would manage for now with the occasional trip the grandkids would join us on. I guess, like you the roller team appeals to us with the ease of the drop down bed, unfortunately I can't stretch to the Adria when they put the drop down bed in.

I did contact the dealers for the Adrias today and we are still contemplating making the trip to view them both this weekend.

Appreciate the time you've taken to offer advice, I've contacted Simon, see if he can possibly source something, although the market being how it it is at the moment I'm sure it will be difficult.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I had finger trouble in my last post the paperwork up plate was to 3650kgs from 3500kgs.
I tried it myself using the DVLA advice and forms that are on line.
It was tortureus so I eventually went to SvTech for support. They took my already completed forms added a covering note and bingo job done. As I had done all the work they only charged me a nominal fee.
No uprating of tyres or air assist needed for the Extra 150kgs.
Just before the first lockdown I fitted air assist to the rear and as I needed tyres went for 225x15s which will allow me to upgrade further if I need.
I would advise that with DVLA operating the way they are that you get one of the upgrade companies to get it right first time.
I have read the paperwork process can be a pain if you aren't familiar with it, I'd definitely just bite the bullet and use Sv Tech.

I need to do a bit more research into the cost involved in suspension changes to allow more payload, if its indeed possible with the particular modes I'm considering.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I have an Adria Coral 660.

used-adria-coral-660-sp-motorhome-u200455_002.jpg

This is not mine!

Bought second hand about four years ago.

Fitted a refillable gas system changed little else.

Well happy with it.

Only one area of issues has been the habitation electrics. The electrobox had a few failures but seemed to be cured by having the electrobox removed and refurbished at;

Also some other components of the habitation electric have played up, once again stripped out an refurbished at Apuljack.

All work done and organised by Mullacott Caravans.

I can't add much more but if you have any direct questions, ask away.

The van is kept in Cardiff if you want to visit and chat or compare.

ToM
Good to hear you've had an overall good experience with the Adria.
We may be heading to look at a couple this weekend but appreciate your offer to have a look around yours.

Overall the Adrias do seem to be well thought of and appear to have a faithful following and happy owners!

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have had both the Roller team and an Adria.

All be it going back a few years now. But here's my synopses.

The roller team was our first ever van back in 2002/3 . We had two small kids 8 and 7, the van was indestructible inside. Kids do not shut doors, they slam them but the doors stayed intact. got a bit of damp in the garage door but the van was solid, proper solid, it was crap in winter though, and very cold in the alps.

The kids grew up and we got a Adria Coral as they got a bit big and slammed doors harder. It was solid proper solid, we done 1000s of miles in it. Again, got a bit of damp in the locker door, but easily repaired, we loved that than, proper loved it.

so pay your monies take your chances but the Adria is a better bet for sure.

After hte Adria we got a Bessacar ouch, don't ask me about that one!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I have had both the Roller team and an Adria.

All be it going back a few years now. But here's my synopses.

The roller team was our first ever van back in 2002/3 . We had two small kids 8 and 7, the van was indestructible inside. Kids do not shut doors, they slam them but the doors stayed intact. got a bit of damp in the garage door but the van was solid, proper solid, it was crap in winter though, and very cold in the alps.

The kids grew up and we got a Adria Coral as they got a bit big and slammed doors harder. It was solid proper solid, we done 1000s of miles in it. Again, got a bit of damp in the locker door, but easily repaired, we loved that than, proper loved it.

so pay your monies take your chances but the Adria is a better bet for sure.

After hte Adria we got a Bessacar ouch, don't ask me about that one!!!
Haha, won't look at a Bessy then!

I'm pretty sure the Adria is of a decent quality, I'd like to think the newer roller team may be of better quality but I guess that may not be wholly true.

I'm finding it difficult to justify in my head paying out the same kind of money for a 2012 Adria over a 2016 roller, but I guess that tells a story.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
<Broken link removed>

is this within your budget?

we originally wanted an island bed and drop down electric bed - this would have been perfect for us !

or even hire this one to try it?

<Broken link removed>

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Haha, won't look at a Bessy then!

I'm pretty sure the Adria is of a decent quality, I'd like to think the newer roller team may be of better quality but I guess that may not be wholly true.

I'm finding it difficult to justify in my head paying out the same kind of money for a 2012 Adria over a 2016 roller, but I guess that tells a story.

just as a side issue. When I first got out rollerteam. I chose that model knowing nothing about motorhomes other than my FIL had had one for several years and me a caravan before hand. MHF never existed, either did Facebook. The reason I chose the Rollerteam was because it was only 3 years old.

I now own a motorhome that is 8 years old and is the best quality you can buy. The more I learnt the more it taught me that age, is no substitute for quality.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
<Broken link removed>

is this within your budget?

we originally wanted an island bed and drop down electric bed - this would have been perfect for us !

or even hire this one to try it?

<Broken link removed>
Thanks for the links. I have seen that one for sale, unfortunately we can't go beyond £50k. We've set ourselves a budget and don't want to go beyond it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
just as a side issue. When I first got out rollerteam. I chose that model knowing nothing about motorhomes other than my FIL had had one for several years and me a caravan before hand. MHF never existed, either did Facebook. The reason I chose the Rollerteam was because it was only 3 years old.

I now own a motorhome that is 8 years old and is the best quality you can buy. The more I learnt the more it taught me that age, is no substitute for quality.
Can't argue with that, the same as a good quality tool, lasts for years. I think it's a tricky one with motorhomes as its not always easy to find enough evidence of the differing qualities and people can be bias towards their current van.

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Really appreciate the offer but I see your in Essex, we're in Bournemouth and the two Adria vans we've sen are both in Yorkshire unfortunately.

We just need to look around one to see if they are a possibility, I'm still considering whether to go up Friday and stop over, make a couple of days of it.

The only downside with the Coral is the fact we'd be taking 2 grandkids occasionally who are still very young and I believe the from seat area only makes up a single bed?
I'm in West Yorkshire if that's any good. Happy to check out any vans.

Smell out any dampness etc. Not so good on the mechanical side....

Cheers James

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I'm in West Yorkshire if that's any good. Happy to check out any vans.

Smell out any dampness etc. Not so good on the mechanical side....

Cheers James
Hi James, if you would be able to have a look and see if it's worth us travelling up that would be great. One of the vans is at Hoyles in Denholme, is that in your area?

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Good to hear you've had an overall good experience with the Adria.
We may be heading to look at a couple this weekend but appreciate your offer to have a look around yours.

Overall the Adrias do seem to be well thought of and appear to have a faithful following and happy owners!

You would be welcome to.

I'm also happy to travel to meet if it suits other plans.

It might be better to use the Private Conversation feature to arrange that.

Good luck with the search.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
You would be welcome to.

I'm also happy to travel to meet if it suits other plans.

It might be better to use the Private Conversation feature to arrange that.

Good luck with the search.
Many thanks, I may take you up on the offer, see if things develop this weekend

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
So, I have seen another Adria, a 2013 which we both really like the look of and it's a bit closer to us in Stoke on trent.

Spoke to the dealers today, Cara Motothomes, and we planned to go and have a look over the weekend but they say they don't offer a test drive as their insurance doesn't cover it, is that unusual for a dealer?

We wouldn't really be happy handing over a substantial amount of money having not driven it, plus we wanted to see the difference in terms of rattles and squeaks compared to the roller team we drove earlier this week.

Really disappointed as we are really keen on it, not sure what to do now.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
So, I have seen another Adria, a 2013 which we both really like the look of and it's a bit closer to us in Stoke on trent.

Spoke to the dealers today, Cara Motothomes, and we planned to go and have a look over the weekend but they say they don't offer a test drive as their insurance doesn't cover it, is that unusual for a dealer?

We wouldn't really be happy handing over a substantial amount of money having not driven it, plus we wanted to see the difference in terms of rattles and squeaks compared to the roller team we drove earlier this week.

Really disappointed as we are really keen on it, not sure what to do now.

Ask them to take you for a drive, they must have insurance for that!

Not a full experience, I know, but you can listen for strange noises.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Ask them to take you fo a drive, they must have insurance for that!

Not a full experience, I know, but you can listen for strange noises.
I'll ask the question, if they refuse that I don't know what to think.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
When I bought my Carthago, we were still subject to various Covid rules which precluded being accompanied on a test drive. They just gave me the keys and sent us off on our own. I must have an honest face.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
When we moved from caravanning (after over 30 years) to motorhomimg, we bought a Benimar - BIG mistake. Build quality was poor, getting spare parts was a nightmare and far too small (our fault - not Benimar). After less than two years of frustration we traded it in for a Dethleffs. Massive improvement all round. Have had Dethleffs over 5 years now and see no need to change again. Can’t afford to even if we wanted to - prices are crazy!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back