Help with choice between these motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Considering buying a roller team 785 or a benimar mileo 294, both 2016 models.

Other option is an older Adria Coral 670, I don't mind a slightly older motorhome if the build quality is better with the Adria.
Any one have or had one of these, or anyone with any thoughts on which is better quality/better buy? Thanks

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Benimar and Roller Team are both owned by the Trigano Group. They are made in different factories, but they have a lot of similarities for a reason. From what I've seen, they are similar build quality, both reasonable. Just different styling.

Are either of the 2016 vans Euro6?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Benimar and Roller Team are both owned by the Trigano Group. They are made in different factories, but they have a lot of similarities for a reason. From what I've seen, they are similar build quality, both reasonable. Just different styling.

Are either of the 2016 vans Euro6?
Thanks, I'm not sure if they are Euro 6, I'm going to view the roller team one tomorrow so should hopefully find out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Roller team , 6 berth 7.5mt, the payload will be dubious for a family, or even two couples.
Mike.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
So, are we saying that both should be ruled out because of payload?

I'm sure there are plenty of folk thoroughly enjoying these motorhomes, is the thinking that a lot are illegal on the road.

The majority of the time there will be just myself and my good lady, occasionally very young grandchildren.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The mantra is about 400kg for a couples essentials, then plus any extras, in your case grandchildren, and buckets and spades + any other children paraphernalia. It soon mounts up.
Mike.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
The mantra is about 400kg for a couples essentials, then plus any extras, in your case grandchildren, and buckets and spades + any other children paraphernalia. It soon mounts up.
Mike.
Is that rough figure of 400kg for everything discounting ourselves Mike?

Upvote 1

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The 400kgs doesn't include anyone other than the driver (and he/she is allowed 75kgs,)
It doesn't include, in no particular order, (and not restricted to), bedding, food, liquids other than fuel, clothing,
tables not screwed down, chairs similarly restricted, cycles, cycle racks, spare wheels, jacks
any gas container over a 6kgs and the gas in it, toys? utensils, stuff in a man cave, toiletries.

The list is endless.

When I posted the consideration of Payload (above) I was not being critical of the choices offered.
I was merely pointing out that to pick a van with a small amount of Payload will eventually restrict
your enjoyment of this wonderful hobby/pastime.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
The 400kgs doesn't include anyone other than the driver (and he/she is allowed 75kgs,)
It doesn't include, in no particular order, (and not restricted to), bedding, food, liquids other than fuel, clothing,
tables not screwed down, chairs similarly restricted, cycles, cycle racks, spare wheels, jacks
any gas container over a 6kgs and the gas in it, toys? utensils, stuff in a man cave, toiletries.

The list is endless.

When I posted the consideration of Payload (above) I was not being critical of the choices offered.
I was merely pointing out that to pick a van with a small amount of Payload will eventually restrict
your enjoyment of this wonderful hobby/pastime.
Thanks for putting the meat on the bones of the payload issue. I did realise that the Benimar in particular is very tight.

It's tricky finding something we both like with a generous payload, I am not restricted to 3500 kg but obviously the vast majority of motorhomes are only rated to the above for obvious reasons by manufacturers.

The article I've found on here, says the average couple require 400kg, I understand this is a basic list but does include a bike etc, so the roller team up plated providing 575kg may be feasible??

Upvote 1
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
It depends on the level of on the road comfort and enjoyment you wish to have. Many manage that payload, but you will have to scrutinise every object taken on board and weigh it, does it earn it's place on board.
Manufacturers sell the dream,the reality is sometimes a product unfit for it's given purpose.
Luckily, after market dream makers can come to your rescue, but at a cost.
Write down everything you think you'll need and add a weight value to it.
You'll soon arrive at the van payload you'll need.
Good luck.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Thanks for putting the meat on the bones of the payload issue. I did realise that the Benimar in particular is very tight.

It's tricky finding something we both like with a generous payload, I am not restricted to 3500 kg but obviously the vast majority of motorhomes are only rated to the above for obvious reasons by manufacturers.

The article I've found on here, says the average couple require 400kg, I understand this is a basic list but does include a bike etc, so the roller team up plated providing 575kg may be feasible??
Won't cost much to update. £150 for paper work with van Weight Engineering. You may get it to 3850 with no modifications. Depends....does it have 15 or 16 inch wheels?

£600 to add rear air assist on the suspension would add a lot more.

Speak to Van Weight Engineering and they will tell you what your possibilities are if you give them the current specs.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Adria quality shouldn't be ignored.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
It depends on the level of on the road comfort and enjoyment you wish to have. Many manage that payload, but you will have to scrutinise every object taken on board and weigh it, does it earn it's place on board.
Manufacturers sell the dream,the reality is sometimes a product unfit for it's given purpose.
Luckily, after market dream makers can come to your rescue, but at a cost.
Write down everything you think you'll need and add a weight value to it.
You'll soon arrive at the van payload you'll need.
Good luck.
Mike.
Thanks Mike, good stuff. Think I may be able to manage with roller team at 575 kg up plated, the benimar would be tough though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Won't cost much to update. £150 for paper work with van Weight Engineering. You may get it to 3850 with no modifications. Depends....does it have 15 or 16 inch wheels?

£600 to add rear air assist on the suspension would add a lot more.

Speak to Van Weight Engineering and they will tell you what your possibilities are if you give them the current specs.

Appreciate the link. I'll definitely look to up plate, and possibly look at air suspension if we are still finding it tough to stay under the max weight.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Thanks Mike, good stuff. Think I may be able to manage with roller team at 575 kg up plated, the benimar would be tough though.
Hi, perhaps email Dee at VWE giving him the van model, he will almost certainly have up-plated one of those previously so can give you the lie of land in respect what can reasonably be achieved, and what ultimately with some extras it could be maxed out to.
Mike.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi, perhaps email Dee at VWE giving him the van model, he will almost certainly have up-plated one of those previously so can give you the lie of land in respect what can reasonably be achieved, and what ultimately with some extras it could be maxed out to.
Mike.
Cheers Mike, will do. Took one out for a test drive today, my first time driving a motorhome. A few squeaks and rattles but I was expecting that, drove fine though.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Tea towels are your best buddy, especially in and around the oven. Patiently working your way around and solving each noise is the best approach.

Mike.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We have an Adria 670 SLT from new for the past 9 years. the ONLY! issues i have had to date are with the FIAT , usual air bag fault, DPF sensor fault,

the Adria has been great. prior to it had a CI Carioca which was re badged Roller team. had that 3 years from new could not wait to get rid, style was lovely, build was crap. constant issues with ill fitting locker doors that let in water, habitation door that did not fit, delaminatioin of part of the internal ceiling.

ok , i had a Friday afternoon made motorhome , but never again.

would have another Adria tomorrow if i wanted a change.

have had no issues with the payload for the 2 of us and occasional grand child.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
We have an Adria 670 SLT from new for the past 9 years. the ONLY! issues i have had to date are with the FIAT , usual air bag fault, DPF sensor fault,

the Adria has been great. prior to it had a CI Carioca which was re badged Roller team. had that 3 years from new could not wait to get rid, style was lovely, build was crap. constant issues with ill fitting locker doors that let in water, habitation door that did not fit, delaminatioin of part of the internal ceiling.

ok , i had a Friday afternoon made motorhome , but never again.

would have another Adria tomorrow if i wanted a change.

have had no issues with the payload for the 2 of us and occasional grand child.
Was that a 2012, the two I've seen available are 2012 and 2013. The layout looks like what we are looking for, I'd love to look at one, unfortunately they are both 6 hour drives away.

Are the single beds a decent length, I'm 6' 2". The roller team ones I saw today were a good length, big enough for me.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Was that a 2012, the two I've seen available are 2012 and 2013. The layout looks like what we are looking for, I'd love to look at one, unfortunately they are both 6 hour drives away.

Are the single beds a decent length, I'm 6' 2". The roller team ones I saw today were a good length, big enough for me.
I'm a mere 5, 8. I'll measure the bed in the morning if you want me to.
And yes it's a 2012.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
The Adria although older does appeal and looks good from photos and videos I've seen. The ones I've seen are a 12 hour round trip away unfortunately.
you could always see if any Funster lives nearby and could take a quick look and report back? (most funsters love looking around other peoples motorhomes LOL)

where is the motorhome? i would be happy take a look if its not too far away and as we also have the 670 SLT (2018) we can compare it to ours to see how well it has 'aged'

when we sold our last motorhome privately, we did a whatsapp video call to the interested buyer and were able to show them anything they wanted to look at in real time, so they could ask questions - we found that better than just making a video of the things we thought they may want to see and they felt happier because they could look at the motorhome in much more detail - perhaps they would do the same for you?

12 hour round trip isnt that bad, if youre getting what you want and you want to be sure. its a lot of money to spend, so the more time you take in choosing what suits you will be time well spent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back